Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Atheists new tool - the blowdryer?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

suckka wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/atheist ... d=11109379

Are some Atheists going too far?

Does the blowdryer de-baptize a person?

Nah, I think they are just being ironic .
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Darias
Guru

Post #3

Post by Darias »

I saw this on the news. I think that Mr. Kagan's "irony" is essentially making Atheism seem religious. I definitely see it as poor taste. The "need" to mock religion suggests an insecurity surrounding one's disbelief.

De-baptism and Baptism are both symbols of belief -- they have no power in and of themselves. One does not become more spiritual by becoming wet - and using a blow-dryer doesn't "take away the magic," so to speak.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #4

Post by BwhoUR »

Goat wrote:

The fact that this guy conducts seminars or has a "congregation" of followers smacks more of the same type of desire to be a "leader" or "authority figure" that we see in organized religion and, where there is power, there is money to be made.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #5

Post by BwhoUR »

Rhonan wrote:

I saw this on the news. I think that Mr. Kagan's "irony" is essentially making Atheism seem religious. I definitely see it as poor taste. The "need" to mock religion suggests an insecurity surrounding one's disbelief.

De-baptism and Baptism are both symbols of belief -- they have no power in and of themselves. One does not become more spiritual by becoming wet - and using a blow-dryer doesn't "take away the magic," so to speak.
I agree that this event mocks religion and is in poor taste. The bigger problem is it sabotages the real arguments against organized religion, by distracting and creating animosity. The only way Atheists are going to reach those who are questioning their faith is by good example, compassion, arguments based on facts, and encouraging people to think for themselves. Not to start an anti-church church.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

suckka wrote:
Goat wrote:

The fact that this guy conducts seminars or has a "congregation" of followers smacks more of the same type of desire to be a "leader" or "authority figure" that we see in organized religion and, where there is power, there is money to be made.
Quite possibly.. money is a motivator for lots of people. Rejecting religion doesn't mean you aren't gullible in other matters
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

nikephoros

Post #7

Post by nikephoros »

That just sounds like a way to call attention to their feelings about being pushed into religion before they were old enough to make choices, not anything that actually is intended to be taken seriously. Obviously, using a blow dryer doesn't have anything to do with baptism and can't "de-baptise" anybody. I don't think anyone in that camp probably worries very much about removing the original baptism water. After all, if you don't believe in the teachings of Christianity, you don't believe that a pastor sprinkling water on your head as a ritual changes anything about you. The whole idea of infant baptism is a promise on behalf of parents, anyway. You can't be made a Christian in infancy, because you're not old enough to make the decision. Pouring water on your head doesn't make you a Christian or anything else, just like sitting in a church can't make you a Christian, or singing a hymn can't.

I do think it's kind of silly and probably makes a number of people look down on atheists. However, I can understand their feelings of frustration if they were forced into a religion they never chose for themselves and weren't free to make their own choices. I think children should be informed about the beliefs their parents have and should be introduced to the religion, such as asked to attend some worship services, but I don't think it should be assumed they'll have the same beliefs. Lots of times it seems like parents never consider that their religion won't meet the needs of their kids. Also, when little kids are taught about hell and other dark, frightening concepts, I think that's abusive. I was taught those things in Sunday school, and I was too young to question the teachers or look for evidence. They just created a lot of problems like constant nightmares and anxiety disorders. Right now I'm mainly a searcher but I wish that had been an option when I was younger. As far as my parents are concerned, it's not an option even now.

Humble Bystander
Student

Post #8

Post by Humble Bystander »

Rhonan wrote:

I definitely agree with Rhonan on the "poor taste" bit. But to an atheist, baptism means nothing than maybe a shower with clean water. However in my opinion, for an atheist to be seen as baptized from others could evoke some anger. It is about image and that's what I think the blowdryer demonstration is about. It may seem ridiculous, but it does raise awareness of people who were unwillingly baptized or unaware of its significance. Poor taste yes, but it is a necessary message.

Post #9

Post by Guest »

It draws attention to himself, which helps him make money, helps him sell books. He is a capitalist. Making money off people who might have the IQ to put any creedence to his idea. My judgment would be that Kagin is blowing more hot air than his blow dryer. But, I am not an atheist who needs to be entertained that way.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Lux »

Sometimes non theists go so far in their effort to separate themselves from religious rituals that they accidentally begin encouraging (counter)rituals. However, in this case, I doubt many of them were taking the "debaptism" seriously... or at least I hope they weren't...

I find the statement "I was born atheist and they forced me to become catholic" weird. I've heard people say they were born christian/jewish/etc, but never heard anyone say they were born atheist. If anything, I'd say we're all born apatheists.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.