Why do christians need debate?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

max

Why do christians need debate?

Post #1

Post by max »

This is a question to the administrator - why, being a Christian, have you started up a forum which encourages christian debate? Shouldn't you be using your web skills (which I must say are very good) to outreach and testify?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

(I've moved this topic to General Chat since it's more of a personal question)
max wrote: This is a question to the administrator - why, being a Christian, have you started up a forum which encourages christian debate?
I wrote up a little bit about why I started this forum here.
Shouldn't you be using your web skills (which I must say are very good) to outreach and testify?
Am I not doing that here on this site? :-k

max

Post #3

Post by max »

I just thought, instead of setting out to cause debate, shouldn't your main aim be to 'bring people to god' and to support christians etc. I wouldn't call this a Christian community, this is a community that encourages debate. Shouldn't us christians be aiming to spread the good news etc. Where God is concerned, there is no debate.

max

Post #4

Post by max »

just thought, instead of setting out to cause debate, shouldn't your main aim be to 'bring people to god' and to support christians etc. I wouldn't call this a Christian community, this is a community that encourages debate. Shouldn't us christians be aiming to spread the good news etc. Where God is concerned, there is no debate

otseng
Savant

Re: Reply

Post #5

Post by otseng »

max wrote:just thought, instead of setting out to cause debate, shouldn't your main aim be to 'bring people to god' and to support christians etc.

How does one "bring people to God"?
I wouldn't call this a Christian community, this is a community that encourages debate.

Certainly. That's what this site is... Debating Christianity & Religion.
Shouldn't us christians be aiming to spread the good news etc.

One spreads the good news in a multitude of different ways. For me, it's here on this forum. For others, it would be different. Each person has their own strengths and own style. And mine happen to fit well with running a debate forum.
Where God is concerned, there is no debate.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Theologians, philosophers, laymen, and many other have debated about God, the Bible, theology for quite a long time.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #6

Post by AlAyeti »

We Christians follow the leader by example. Jesus referred to the text often when debating the "learned."

"Is it not written?" Jesus didn't want to people to blindly follow. "Faith" means trust, but trust that you are supposed to verify.

Paul kept urging the followers to be well read:

"Test all things and hold on firmly to the truth."

"Study to show yourself approved. A workman who can handle . . ."

Peter: "Give to every man an answer. . ."

Paul again: There must be divisions among you. . . so that those who are right can be showed to be right.

Any Christian that hides from the debate is not following the "faith" delivered only once to the saints!

And science is a tool every Christian should embrace as well because things like abortion, unnatural sexuality, Darwinism and atheism can be challenged effortlessly and effectively by those means.

Student

Post #7

Post by * »

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
:smileleft: ;) :smileright: