Studying the bible

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

doggy777777

Studying the bible

Post #1

Post by doggy777777 »

Are there any non bias study books on the bible?
(or books about Christianity in general?)

All the books I've seen are either "God is good" or "God is bad"..
I haven't found anything that leaves the final decision up to the reader.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Re: Studying the bible

Post #2

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

victoryaloy wrote:Are there any non bias study books on the bible?

All the books I've seen are either "God is good" or "God is bad"..
I haven't found anything that leaves the final decision up to the reader.
What question(s) are you trying to answer?

Heterodoxus
Scholar

Re: Studying the bible

Post #3

Post by Heterodoxus »

victoryaloy wrote:Are there any non bias study books on the bible?
TBOMK, no, and for a variety of denominational/doctrinal/publisher issues. Perhaps the closest the serious Bible studier can come to unbiased material is to consult a reference like The Companion Bible--Condensed Version. But references/tomes like that can make for dry reading, get overly detailed, and easily lead the inquirer far afield.

Alternative: read a Bible passage or topic, then consult the commentary(s) approved by a or your preferred denomination (e.g., Matthew Henry's Commentaries, Eerdman's Handbook to the Bible, Bible dictionaries or concordances, and the like, many of which are available online at sites like biblos.com or from Christian retailers).

If I understand the purpose of this thread correctly, you can ask questions or provide information about the Bible itself here (its history, evolution, and content), ideally one at a time to avoid asking compound questions.
[center]"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is properly your god."[/center]
[right]~Martin Luther, Large Catechism 1.1-3.
[/right]

doggy777777

Post #4

Post by doggy777777 »

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into those books and the website!

to Jayhawker Soule:
I don't really have any questions in general. I don't know enough about the bible to have questions.. which is my problem. I grew up with it so I know the basics, but I never paid attention in church or sunday school.

cnorman18

Studying the Bible

Post #5

Post by cnorman18 »

Here's a quirky suggestion: Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. Asimov was best known as a science-fiction writer, but wrote a lot of quality nonfiction too. He was a cultural Jew and an atheist, and he's pretty evenhanded about most everything in the book. One of the smartest guys who ever lived - I always wanted to meet him, but he died before I got the chance.

He's the only writer to have at least one book in every category of the Dewey Decimal System. He could also compose dirty limericks extemporaneously, which is a gift I truly admire.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Studying the Bible

Post #6

Post by Goat »

cnorman18 wrote:Here's a quirky suggestion: Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. Asimov was best known as a science-fiction writer, but wrote a lot of quality nonfiction too. He was a cultural Jew and an atheist, and he's pretty evenhanded about most everything in the book. One of the smartest guys who ever lived - I always wanted to meet him, but he died before I got the chance.

He's the only writer to have at least one book in every category of the Dewey Decimal System. He could also compose dirty limericks extemporaneously, which is a gift I truly admire.
I got two first editions I had Issac Asimov autograph for me.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cnorman18

Re: Studying the Bible

Post #7

Post by cnorman18 »

goat wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:Here's a quirky suggestion: Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. Asimov was best known as a science-fiction writer, but wrote a lot of quality nonfiction too. He was a cultural Jew and an atheist, and he's pretty evenhanded about most everything in the book. One of the smartest guys who ever lived - I always wanted to meet him, but he died before I got the chance.

I got two first editions I had Issac Asimov autograph for me.
I am hugely envious. He was one of the good guys.

Heterodoxus
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Heterodoxus »

victoryaloy wrote:I don't know enough about the bible to have questions.. which is my problem. I grew up with it so I know the basics, but I never paid attention in church or sunday school.
Another suggestion: join our public Bible study group?

We're just getting started at Genesis, chapters 1 thru 5. More info about the group is on the link.

[center]O:)[/center]
[center]"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is properly your god."[/center]
[right]~Martin Luther, Large Catechism 1.1-3.
[/right]

Bob Israel
Student

Things to consider want learning

Post #9

Post by Bob Israel »

victoryaloy wrote:Thanks for the replies! I'll look into those books and the website!

to Jayhawker Soule:
I don't really have any questions in general. I don't know enough about the bible to have questions.. which is my problem. I grew up with it so I know the basics, but I never paid attention in church or sunday school.
1. we were not to use pagan names for yahweh and Yahshua
2. Matthew and John testify against Luke and Paul.
3. they are 13 book of Pauls in new testament and Act and Luke.
look up who wrote each book and consider if it should be used.
4.. Only listen to what Yahweh and Yahshua says.
5. Yahweh told told us if a prophet came and deed good signs and they came true,but change your Elohim ,who were not to listen to them..
6. Christianity is not the gospel Yahshua preacher its the gospel Paul and Luke preach.
7. If you can understand that Yahshua is not Jesus Christ,than you will begin to understand. Yahshua i come in my fathers name but another comes in his own name you will believe.
8. This is why many can understand the Messiah Yahshua and his Father Yahweh.
9. Learn what the name Yahshua means and than learn what Jesus Christ means.
10Learn the difference in Elohim and God/Gad
11. learn the difference in Lord and Yahweh.
12. remember their are wrong beleifs in all religion.

Bob

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Things to consider want learning

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

Bob Israel wrote: 1. we were not to use pagan names for yahweh and Yahshua
But you are using pagan letters and a pagan language.
Bob Israel wrote: 2. Matthew and John testify against Luke and Paul.
Heck! Even Luke testifies against Paul. However, with enough hermeneutic gymnastics, it can all be reconciled.
Bob Israel wrote: 4.. Only listen to what Yahweh and Yahshua says.
I'm good with that. I am unaware of receiving a communication directly from any entity by either of these names. You?
Bob Israel wrote: 12. remember [strike]their [/strike] there are wrong [strike]beleifs [/strike] beliefs in all religion.
Remember, don't listen to a prophet who cannot spell or use correct grammar. However, I agree with you. All religions are fallacious and in error.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John