What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

The Gilad Schalit Prisoner Exchange ...

Post #1

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

From the Jerusalem Post
  • Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu refused to confirm reports that a prisoner exchange was imminent, stressing during a Likud faction meeting on Monday afternoon that "There is no deal yet, and when there will be, it will be brought for debate in the Knesset and voted on in the cabinet."

"It's a serious dilemma," he said of the possibility that hundreds of prisoners with a track record of terrorism would be released in exchange for Schalit. Throughout the day, relatives of victims of terrorist attacks expressed their adamant opposition to such an outcome, emphasizing that a decision on the deal could not be made without confirming that the public supported it.
It's as if one were to trade hundreds of Qassam missiles and suicide vests for the release of a single young soldier. Frankly, I don't know how I'd vote. But I also can't help but wonder what it would be like to be Gilad, waking up each morning wondering if this would be the day that some child at some falafel stand would be shredded to death by a terrorist released so that he, Gilad, could walk free.