What do you think of the look & feel of this site?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of the style of this site?

Would like for it to be changed to something else
No votes
I have no problems with the standard style
29%
I care more about content than style
71%
I have no opinion
No votes
I have another opinion that is not listed above
No votes

Total votes: 17

otseng
Savant

What do you think of the look & feel of this site?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

The style (look & feel) of this forum is pretty much the out of the box style that comes with phpbb. I was contemplating changing the style so that it wouldn't be so unoriginal. What do you think?
Last edited by otseng on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #2

Post by nikolayevich »

The content and members of this forum are such that I think the site could look like burnt toast and people would still post here- In today's world of all-things-pretty, that's encouraging.

That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with changing the look, now that the substance is there. One suggestion would be to grab one of the free skins from http://www.phpbbstyles.com/

I've used two of theirs and they look quite slick (the benefits being that they're free, easy to configure and can be removed if disliked). I'm sure there are others out there now too.

For those of us who have spent countless hours at all times of day, conversing and debating here... it sure would be strange though ;)

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

I agree with nikolayevich. The look and feel are secondary to the function and interaction with others. I participate on a few other forums &, yeah, they do kind of look similar until you start reading. But that's part of the point, isn't it? This forum requires a depth of understanding and thoughtfulness you don't find in many places. If you don't look past the design and get to the real meat of the exchanges, you probably won't be able to participate in any meaningful way. I guess the only thing the design requires is to be easy to read at long stretches.

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #4

Post by mrmufin »

I'll echo the sentiments of ST88 and nikolayevich: the content is much more important than the style. In fact, I've been turned off entirely by some forums because their style is a bit overbearing; too much emphasis on fluff, rather than content quality, is distracting.

Regards,
mrmufin
Historically, bad science has been corrected by better science, not economists, clergy, or corporate interference.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Piper Plexed »

I AGREE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE though if you are considering a new color story, I wouldn't mind some tones a bit more muted, like deep blue and more of a beige like yellow. As always, I offer my services and would be happy to discuss your thoughts on the design with you Otseng, just PM me if interested.

P.S. Just hooked up my new IMac G5 20" wouldn't mind takin it for a test run for ya ;) design something other than what is required for my work.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Jose
Guru

Post #6

Post by Jose »

I dunno...what are the choices? Flying toasters? I have no problem with the out-of-the box appearance. It works, and it's easy to read. It isn't gunked up with excess graphics. It comes across as if it's interested in the discussions themselves. But, you know, it's always fun to explore new ideas, so I won't be concerned if its appearance changes from time to time as you test possibilities.
Piper wrote:P.S. Just hooked up my new IMac G5 20" wouldn't mind takin it for a test run for ya ;) design something other than what is required for my work.
Ooooooooooh! I'm limping along an a mere G4...and to think that the FatMac seemed like such an advance when it came out!
Panza llena, corazon contento

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

OK, looks like there is no real need to change the style. But, since Piper has a new G5 and is willing to help out, we'll be experimenting.

This style also will always be here. Any new style will be in addition to this, so that people will be able to select which one they want. But, I anticipate there will only be two to choose from. Whenever I make mods, I also have to make code changes in the styles (can you say bad design?) so two styles is all I'm willing to make changes for.

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm open to any other thoughts on this.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Piper Plexed »

Jose wrote:I dunno...what are the choices? Flying toasters? I have no problem with the out-of-the box appearance.
Piper wrote:P.S. Just hooked up my new IMac G5 20" wouldn't mind takin it for a test run for ya ;) design something other than what is required for my work.
Ooooooooooh! I'm limping along an a mere G4...and to think that the FatMac seemed like such an advance when it came out!
Flying Toasters, hmm, well retro 8O's is considered quite fashonable these days soo umm that suggestion is quite design savy of you Dear Jose ;) I am impressed!

As for the new addition to my family, My dear daughter has adopted my G3 and she is all jealous of her Mommy, she wants to know when I am doin the next upgrade and when will she get my G5. My rule is every second upgrade I buy, soo I suspect she has a bit of a waite ahead of her. Mac's are addictive aren't they? My addiction began with The llCI (I am showin my age) which I spent way tooooo much money for and got only 8 megs of ram and to think only about 15 yrs. later I am at 750 some odd megs and a dual processor. My God what will they come up with next? If I where you Jose, I would be lookin to the G6 for my next purchase... At that point you will get a big Ooooooooooh! outa me and I'll be lookin towards the G7 :lol:
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Dilettante
Sage

Post #9

Post by Dilettante »

I visit this site often because of the content. This is a civil, intelligent forum because the moderators and the people who take part in it make it so. Thanks, all of you :D

The look is fine with me, but I suppose it could be made more sophisticated. However, I think the important thing (apart from the civility and the intelligence)is that it remains easy to read.