More Atheists Shout It From the Rooftops

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Goat
Site Supporter

More Atheists Shout It From the Rooftops

Post #1

Post by Goat »

There is a story in the NY Times about yet another bill board driver from atheists.

From http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/us/27 ... .html?_r=1

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Two months after the local atheist organization here put up a billboard saying “Don’t Believe in God? You Are Not Alone,� the group’s 13 board members met in Laura and Alex Kasman’s living room to grapple with the fallout.

The problem was not that the group, the Secular Humanists of the Lowcountry, had attracted an outpouring of hostility. It was the opposite. An overflow audience of more than 100 had showed up for their most recent public symposium, and the board members discussed whether it was time to find a larger place.

And now parents were coming out of the woodwork asking for family-oriented programs where they could meet like-minded nonbelievers.

“Is everyone in favor of sponsoring a picnic for humanists with families?� asked the board president, Jonathan Lamb, a 27-year-old meteorologist, eliciting a chorus of “ayes.�

I was wondering.. do people think that there are more atheists, or do people think that people are just more comfortable about admitting they are atheists? Or is a combination of the two?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

upallnite
Sage

Post #2

Post by upallnite »

My wife works at NAPA. I hang out at the store sometimes.

Sure they get the, "y'all shouldn't have to work on the (holy day)" while they are saying they need their parts right away and can't wait for it to be shipped.

But they also get the people that don't see the use for religion any more. They spend the day under the hood of a car, the way Ford intended it. Very few of her co-workers are religious and the ones that are go to church for social reasons not theology. Other than silly customers religion does not seam to be an issue there.

My work is a little different. There is the very outspoken religious in every team. I am the only atheist that displays that I am an atheist in my office and clothing I wear. I have been informed by many coworkers that they are atheist but do not inform the people they work closely with.

My "Littlest Atheist" cartoon strip and God detector has been reported to my supervisors many times by people that have crosses and religious material all over their desks. My boss's boss is closet atheist and has assured me these complaints will go no where. I just find it funny that they keep complaining about atheist material in and atheist's office to his atheist supervisor.

So, I think there are more than most think out there. They just keep it to there selves so that they don't have to deal with any extra complaining by the aggressive religious.