Yes
17%

Total votes: 94

adherent
Apprentice

Harry Potter

Post #1

Post by adherent »

Do you think Harry Potter contains anti-Christian material?
Does it overall convey an anti-Christian feeling?
Shout to the Lord
All the earth
Let us sing
Power and majesty
Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your Name

TwentyOneSix
Student

Post #41

Post by TwentyOneSix »

I've never read Harry Potter, nor do I intend to, and if my wife could conceive we wouldn't allow our children near such books. I've heard all I need to hear about the series; it targets young children and leads them in performing satanic rituals (the latest book includes a human sacrifice) and witchcraft and demon worship. Books like these are highly destructive, especially to impressionable minors, and it deeply disturbs me whenever I see an outpouring of support for this satanic filth.

It's just another disadvantage of free speech.
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by JoeyKnothead »

TwentyOneSix wrote:I've never read Harry Potter, nor do I intend to, and if my wife could conceive we wouldn't allow our children near such books. I've heard all I need to hear about the series; it targets young children and leads them in performing satanic rituals (the latest book includes a human sacrifice) and witchcraft and demon worship. Books like these are highly destructive, especially to impressionable minors, and it deeply disturbs me whenever I see an outpouring of support for this satanic filth.

It's just another disadvantage of free spe
Given the Bible contains witches, demons and rituals - including human sacrifice, surely you'd keep it safe from children, right?

Metatron
Guru

Post #43

Post by Metatron »

TwentyOneSix wrote:I've never read Harry Potter, nor do I intend to, and if my wife could conceive we wouldn't allow our children near such books. I've heard all I need to hear about the series; it targets young children and leads them in performing satanic rituals (the latest book includes a human sacrifice) and witchcraft and demon worship. Books like these are highly destructive, especially to impressionable minors, and it deeply disturbs me whenever I see an outpouring of support for this satanic filth.

I don't know from whom you have "heard" all of these ludicrous things about the Harry Potter series, but their level of ignorance is profound. Satanic rituals? Demon worship? Satan, fallen angels, demons, etc. do not exist in any of the Potter books. Indeed, Rowling steers clear of religious elements in the books to try to keep out such controversy despite the fact that she herself is a Christian. Having said that, however, Judea-Christian concepts of good and evil permeate the series and it should be pointed out that the Hogwarts kids celebrate Christmas in the books which would certainly imply a Christian worldview.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #44

Post by Cathar1950 »

joeyknuccione wrote:

It's just another disadvantage of free spe
Given the Bible contains witches, demons and rituals - including human sacrifice, surely you'd keep it safe from children, right?
And then some.
Even the Christian religion has a human/god sacrifice.
Then read in Hebrews where there is needed blood for the forgiveness of sins and we can only imagine how this must effect "impressionable minors".
How many crazy people out there read their Bible assuming it is from God Himself and believe all kinds of destructive things.

TwentyOneSix
Student

Post #45

Post by TwentyOneSix »

joeyknuccione wrote:Given the Bible contains witches, demons and rituals - including human sacrifice, surely you'd keep it safe from children, right?
It only contains such things to explicitly point them out as being evil. We have to know the right things to hate.
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by JoeyKnothead »

TwentyOneSix wrote:
joeyknuccione wrote:Given the Bible contains witches, demons and rituals - including human sacrifice, surely you'd keep it safe from children, right?
It only contains such things to explicitly point them out as being evil. We have to know the right things to hate.
Wouldn't knowing what to hate include hating a god that acts like a violent megalomaniac?

TwentyOneSix
Student

Post #47

Post by TwentyOneSix »

joeyknuccione wrote:Wouldn't knowing what to hate include hating a god that acts like a violent megalomaniac?
The lord works in mysterious ways, he's above the judgment of mankind and does what he must to protect his children from the influence of evil.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by JoeyKnothead »

TwentyOneSix wrote:
joeyknuccione wrote:Wouldn't knowing what to hate include hating a god that acts like a violent megalomaniac?
The lord works in mysterious ways, he's above the judgment of mankind and does what he must to protect his children from the influence of evil.
He must be doing a lousy job, what with so many of "His children" spreading such a violent and sex filled book in His name.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Jo Rowling is an anglican, one who as she put it wishes to believe and tries to believe (like all us liberals). I think the whole series is sort of a christian allegory, certainly NOT anti-christian, but wonderfully informed by comparative mythology.
She and Potter are an undiluted force for good in the world. She's not a Wiccan (not that there's anything wrong with that) and she doesn't even like fantasy. She's just a beautiful soul with great mind and a great sense of humor who has brought joy into the world. And a fringe minorty of fundy cranks can't change that.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by Slopeshoulder »

No better expression of the power that resides at the intersection of ignorance and the internet can be found!
This is the real satanic filth IMO. Otherwise it'd simply be hilarious.