What logic makes it otherwise?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: Following Jesus - a no-brainer?

Post #41

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSPONDER

You say - "At the very least I see that as ample counter - justification for atheists, sketpics and the like damnable sinners to evangelize however we can the secular alternative and need neither justify it nor apologise"

I am selling the Jesus message of Love as written in the New Testament.
What are you evangelizing for?
What is this secular alternative you speak of?
Is it simply ' not Jesus' or 'anything except God'

You do not have to apologise for your position if you do not want to but in the daylight of open discussion you would be expected to justify it. After all, TRANSPONDER, evangelizing is a conscious undertaking with assumed purpose.??

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #42

Post by TRANSPONDER »

You are making the common mistake that atheism has to be offering some kind of alternative religion, worldview or socio -political system to Christianity or religions. It does not. The position of atheism is not believing in any god - claim and all we have to do is show that is a logical and evidence - based position. We do not have to go out and save the world in order to justify atheism.

That said of course we all want to see things bettered, and there are secularist positions and alternatives - humanism, rationalism and of course science which atheism coincides with. But that is not the 'evangelical'position that atheism has to sell - only why belief in any religion or god claim is valid or justified.

We do sometimes get dragged into countering the moral argument that Religion has made the world better or is necessary to stop civilisation collapsing - the 'We need it - true or not' apologetic. So we have to delve into the counters for that, but you will understand that none of that is anything to do with logical or evidential reasons to believe that any god -claim is valid.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #43

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSPONDER

You say - 'The position of atheism is not believing in any god - claim and all we have to do is show that is a logical and evidence - based position. '

Unfortunately, it appears that you continue to dig a hole for yourself. Why do you have to show the logic of your position why not just 'not believe in God' Why have you to be an apologist for nothing?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #44

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:26 am Hello TRANSPONDER

You say - 'The position of atheism is not believing in any god - claim and all we have to do is show that is a logical and evidence - based position. '

Unfortunately, it appears that you continue to dig a hole for yourself. Why do you have to show the logic of your position why not just 'not believe in God' Why have you to be an apologist for nothing?
We do not Didn't I make that clear? An atheist is an atheist for not believing in any god - claim. That makes them atheist (not "agnostic") whether they elect to answer questions about it or not. However, if questions are asked, then reasonably we should give answers, explanations and rationale. In short, we feel obligated to show the logic of our position, because we get constantly asked to do so.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #45

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSPONDER
You say - 'In short, we feel obligated to show the logic of our position, because we get constantly asked to do so.'

I doubt it! Happy Holiday!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #46

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:58 am Hello TRANSPONDER
You say - 'In short, we feel obligated to show the logic of our position, because we get constantly asked to do so.'

I doubt it! Happy Holiday!
Your doubt is ill -founded. We get questioned on atheism all the time - just as you have been doing. The obligation is there to give an answer - just as i have been doing.

May the joy of the spirit of Christmas be with you over this festive period. My thoughts will be with you as I spoon my gruel and suck on my humbugs.