What About the Sea Creatures?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

What About the Sea Creatures?

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

I know that JWs believe in a Paradise on Earth. And I know that some of the Bible verses that they base their beliefs on are Genesis 1:28-30 in conjunction with Isaiah 11:6-9 and Revelation 21:1-4. However, I would like to ask JWs and other Christians who have the belief in paradise earth: What about the sea creatures?

Because even in the Bible, the dangerous and ferocious creature Leviathan was created by God according to Psalm 104:24-26. Plus, according to science, there are other dangerous and ferocious creatures that God created such as sharks. 😲 But in all fairness, I would like to post this 2 minute and 8 seconds video, which puts sharks in the best light possible.

However, if that was too long for you, I have this 51 second video, which features characteristics that only a Creator God could create. (Hebrews 3:4 and Revelation 4:11)

Therefore, are the scriptures that mention total peace in the human kingdom and the animal kingdom only referring to land creatures? And do those verses exclude the sea creatures? Because I don't quite get it. πŸ˜•

But here is another example of the electric eel in this 2 minute and 25 second video, even though there are many, many more dangerous and predatory sea creatures such as this.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What About the Sea Creatures?

Post #41

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:50 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:41 am
Skeptical wrote: ↑Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:58 pm

... allowing ... fornication ... for the Israelites looks like God had to come down to human standard
Fornication [as in sexual intercourse outside of the marital union] has always been sanctioned by divine law.
Well, not really...
CONCUBINE

Among the Hebrews a concubine occupied a position in the nature of a secondary wife and was sometimes spoken of as a wife. It appears that concubines were slave girls, one of three kinds: (1) a Hebrew girl sold by her father (Ex 21:7-9), (2) a foreign slave girl purchased, or (3) a foreign girl captured in warfare (De 21:10-14). Some were the slave girls or handmaids of the free wife, as in the cases of Sarah, Leah, and Rachel.​

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001020
Also, I appreciate wol.jw.org 's attempt at doublespeak, but "wife" is not the same definition as concubine:
a woman with whom a man cohabits without being married
Also, here is a more forthcoming Bible definition of concubine:
5672 CONCUBINES

A woman, often a servant or slave, with whom a man had regular sexual relations, but to whom he was not married. A concubine did not have the rights of a wife and her children were not rightful heirs, though a wife might offer a servant to her husband as a concubine to have children on her behalf.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/ ... concubines

The Watchtower always bases its definition primarily on biblical not secular usage; but don't you think it best to start a separate thread on this topic ? I cannot see that this question really relates to sea creatures.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:46 am
Skeptical wrote: ↑Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:50 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:41 am
Skeptical wrote: ↑Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:58 pm

... allowing ... fornication ... for the Israelites looks like God had to come down to human standard
Fornication [as in sexual intercourse outside of the marital union] has always been sanctioned by divine law.
Well, not really...
CONCUBINE

Among the Hebrews a concubine occupied a position in the nature of a secondary wife and was sometimes spoken of as a wife. It appears that concubines were slave girls, one of three kinds: (1) a Hebrew girl sold by her father (Ex 21:7-9), (2) a foreign slave girl purchased, or (3) a foreign girl captured in warfare (De 21:10-14). Some were the slave girls or handmaids of the free wife, as in the cases of Sarah, Leah, and Rachel.​

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001020
Also, I appreciate wol.jw.org 's attempt at doublespeak, but "wife" is not the same definition as concubine:
a woman with whom a man cohabits without being married
Also, here is a more forthcoming Bible definition of concubine:
5672 CONCUBINES

A woman, often a servant or slave, with whom a man had regular sexual relations, but to whom he was not married. A concubine did not have the rights of a wife and her children were not rightful heirs, though a wife might offer a servant to her husband as a concubine to have children on her behalf.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/ ... concubines

The Watchtower always bases its definition primarily on biblical not secular usage;
So, are you saying that it's Biblical that concubines are actually wives? And if so, then how does that work? Because your own literature is saying that they are not wives:
Among the Hebrews a concubine occupied a position in the nature of a secondary wife and was sometimes spoken of as a wife.

Therefore, are you just making stuff up for the purpose of sticking to your guns and arguing in favor of what you think is JW theology, even if it's not??? πŸ€”

JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:46 am but don't you think it best to start a separate thread on this topic ? I cannot see that this question really relates to sea creatures.

JW
It's relevant because of what you said in your post #32.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #43

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:14 pm
Yes sorry about that. I digressed from the OP. I should have stuck to the topic. Two wrongs don't make a right though, so I won't continue on that theme. If you would like me to answer your question please post in a new thread.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:43 pm
Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:14 pm
Yes sorry about that. I digressed from the OP. I should have stuck to the topic. Two wrongs don't make a right though, so I won't continue on that theme. If you would like me to answer your question please post in a new thread.
No, you didn't digress at all because in your post #32 you said:
JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:22 am
Skeptical wrote: ↑Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:58 pm ...why did God change his own laws and his own standards as found in Genesis 9:3?
There was no law to prohibit eating animals prior to the flood in Noahs day. God had stated that fruit and plants were given to man for food and that continues to be the case to this day . Since there was no mention if animals being given as food, its a fair to presume that it was not God's original purpose animals be eaten, but there was no prohibitive law to change since no law had been given.

That said , divine laws come and go according to circumstances, divine PRINCIPLES remain constant.

If by standards you mean what God considers right and wrong , then they too remain constant. It is (and always will be) wrong to take a life without divine permission to do so. What God allows humans to eat may vary according to population and circumstances but the principle is that all life belongs to him and all life (including animal life) is sacred so killing (humans or animals) are subject to his permission.

JW
Therefore, there were no two wrongs because I was just addressing your post, which was VERY relevant to this topic and showing you that what you were saying was wrong. However, it's up to you whether or not you want to continue on that theme because basically what I was saying was that God DID change his own laws and his own standards as found in Genesis 9:3. Because his original standards was the eating meat was bad... and that it will be bad again during JWs' new system. (Yes, No?) Plus, you basically ignored what I said in my post #30.

Also, is that why JWs believe that they are the true religion because they tap everything else out? (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:58 pm is that why JWs believe that they are the true religion because they tap everything else out?
(1 Thessalonians 5:21)
No thats not why we believe we have the truth; I never said that is why we believe we have the truth. Please prove that I said that.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #46

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:58 pm... you basically ignored what I said in my post #30
No, I did not ignore Post #30: in Post #30 you said that animals digestive system would basically require {to quote you} "surgery" to adapt. I responded in Post #31
viewtopic.php?p=1124647#p1124647
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:58 pm ... basically what I was saying was that God DID change his own laws ...
And basically I disagree; I have already explained why I disagree with you in Post #32
viewtopic.php?p=1124656#p1124656
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #48

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:58 pm his original standards was the eating meat was bad... and that it will be "bad again" during JWs' new system. (Yes, No?)
No. There is no scripture that says that eating meat is bad. Nor us there any statement in any Watchtower that says that eating meat will be bad in the new system. Where did you read that?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #49

Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:14 pm So, are you saying that it's Biblical that concubines are actually wives? And if so, then how does that work?
I am saying that in the biblical usage concubines were in the nature of a secondary wives and sometimes spoken of as a wife.
Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:14 pm .... how does that work?
A man married (usually a slave) and she had similar rights to a wife.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:16 am
Skeptical wrote: ↑Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:58 pm is that why JWs believe that they are the true religion because they tap everything else out?
(1 Thessalonians 5:21)
No thats not why we believe we have the truth; I never said that is why we believe we have the truth. Please prove that I said that.

JW
It was a rhetorical question, Albert E. 😏 Also, I never said that you said that. πŸ™„