The Delay of the End

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

The Delay of the End

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

Hello all. Even though I am skeptical, at the same time, I am saddened and distressed by the many horrific and terrible things that we see go on around us in the world. Therefore, as a skeptic, I still do think about things such as the last days the end times. Therefore, as far as how things just keep going on and on and on, I understand that some Christians apply Habakkuk 2:3 to the situation. So, I would like to know from any type of theist, if they think that Habakkuk 2:3 is being used properly to understand this delayed situation? And the reason why I ask is because that verse seems to be able to justify any type of delay, postponement, or unfulfillment of any type of end time expectation.
New International Version
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
https://biblehub.com/habakkuk/2-3.htm

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The Delay of the End

Post #41

Post by 2timothy316 »

Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:01 am
2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:45 pm
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:49 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:26 pm
2Peter 3:8,9, the scripture that OWH quoted is a key scripture but so is Psalm 14:1, 2. Jehovah God is seeking those with insight. The root word of the Hebrew word insight is prudent.

Insight definition:
the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.

Prudent definition:
1. acting with or showing care and thought for the future
2. showing good judgment in avoiding risks and uncertainties; careful

Psalm 14:2 says that God is also seeking those that are seeking Him. We all must ask the question, what kind of person am I?

Jehovah has a set date, that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end. Yet a morbid fear of judgment on the world is not a reason to serve God.
I have an additional question. Is that something new with JWs? That God is extending the last days because he needs to find more smart people to be JWs before the end comes? Because I have never heard of that before and I kind of keep up with JWs through youtube videos.
No. When the Bible says that a date has been set, that's it. There is no extending taking place. If you have never heard that before is because no has said that before. I think you're hearing what you want to hear. If you're keeping up with JWs through youtube that is a mistake. www.jw.org is the official way to keep up with us.
So, could you show me a jw.org video or jw.org article where it says that God is holding up the end of the world because he's trying to find more smart people to worship him?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010010#h=19:0-22:0
"Holding up the end o the world" isn't really an accurate description. It's not past due or being held up. It will happen right on time. But the reason there is a set time and not on our time table is so that people with wisdom can have time to be granted salvation.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #42

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:58 pm
But the reason there is a set time and not on our time table is so that people with wisdom can have time to be granted salvation.

But humans can gain salvation after the Second Coming.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #43

Post by onewithhim »

Skeptical wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:01 am
2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:45 pm
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:49 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:26 pm
2Peter 3:8,9, the scripture that OWH quoted is a key scripture but so is Psalm 14:1, 2. Jehovah God is seeking those with insight. The root word of the Hebrew word insight is prudent.

Insight definition:
the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.

Prudent definition:
1. acting with or showing care and thought for the future
2. showing good judgment in avoiding risks and uncertainties; careful

Psalm 14:2 says that God is also seeking those that are seeking Him. We all must ask the question, what kind of person am I?

Jehovah has a set date, that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end. Yet a morbid fear of judgment on the world is not a reason to serve God.
I have an additional question. Is that something new with JWs? That God is extending the last days because he needs to find more smart people to be JWs before the end comes? Because I have never heard of that before and I kind of keep up with JWs through youtube videos.
No. When the Bible says that a date has been set, that's it. There is no extending taking place. If you have never heard that before is because no has said that before. I think you're hearing what you want to hear. If you're keeping up with JWs through youtube that is a mistake. www.jw.org is the official way to keep up with us.
So, could you show me a jw.org video or jw.org article where it says that God is holding up the end of the world because he's trying to find more smart people to worship him?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010010#h=19:0-22:0
"Holding up the end o the world" isn't really an accurate description. It's not past due or being held up. It will happen right on time. But the reason there is a set time and not on our time table is so that people with wisdom can have time to be granted salvation.
To Skeptical: "Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." (2Peter 3:9)

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #44

Post by 2timothy316 »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:32 pm
But the reason there is a set time and not on our time table is so that people with wisdom can have time to be granted salvation.

Yes. Those that died unrighteous, that never had a chance to learn of God and His Son. Even then there will be a set time for them to figure out if they want to serve Jehovah forever. (Revelation Chapter 20)

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #45

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:15 am
myth-one.com wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:32 pm

Yes. Those that died unrighteous, that never had a chance to learn of God and His Son. Even then there will be a set time for them to figure out if they want to serve Jehovah forever. (Revelation Chapter 20)
Why do you restrict becoming saved after the Second Coming only to those unrighteous who never had a chance to learn of God and His Son? It applies to the all of the unrighteous, identified as "whosoever."

The time of the Second Coming and the great white throne judgment are set. But the time required for judgment is not set to my knowledge.

And following the judgment (length of time unknown) those whose names are written in the Book of Life will receive everlasting life.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #46

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #45]
So Im guessing you have not been reading this thread. Is the time allowed for the righteous to repent? No of course not. Ugh~

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #47

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:06 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #45]
So Im guessing you have not been reading this thread. Is the time allowed for the righteous to repent? No of course not. Ugh~
Do the righteous need to repent?

I suppose you meant "unrighteous."

<======================================>

Anyways, any living human can accept Jesus as their Savior at any time. That is, in this first life or after being resurrected as a human.

Can you pick a time at which a living human cannot accept Jesus as their Savior?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #48

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #47]
This is about the theme of this thread. God's patience is not about the righteous' salvation, so why bring it up?
"Why do you restrict becoming saved after the Second Coming only to those unrighteous..."
There is no reason to say such a thing. If one is declared righteous their salvation is already secure. I shouldn't have to say anything about the righteous as that is not who this thread is about. The righteous don't need time, the unrighteous do and God is giving to those alive now before Armageddon and giving the unrighteous who never heard of God time after their resurrection during the 1000 year reign of Christ.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #49

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:42 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #47]
This is about the theme of this thread. God's patience is not about the righteous' salvation, so why bring it up?
"Why do you restrict becoming saved after the Second Coming only to those unrighteous..."
There is no reason to say such a thing. If one is declared righteous their salvation is already secure. I shouldn't have to say anything about the righteous as that is not who this thread is about. The righteous don't need time, the unrighteous do and God is giving to those alive now before Armageddon and giving the unrighteous who never heard of God time after their resurrection during the 1000 year reign of Christ.
The unrighteous who have died will be resurrected after the 1,000 year Millennium (not during) and make their decision about everlasting life or everlasting death at that time. But any living human can be saved by believing in Jesus at that time -- not simply those who never heard of God.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #50

Post by 2timothy316 »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:18 am
2timothy316 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:42 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #47]
The unrighteous who have died will be resurrected after the 1,000 year Millennium (not during) and make their decision about everlasting life or everlasting death at that time. But any living human can be saved by believing in Jesus at that time -- not simply those who never heard of God.
This is a debate for another thread.