Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Pre-marital sex and relationships

Post #1

Post by agnosticatheist »

Christians, you contend we are not supposed to have sex before we are MARRIED.

What is wrong with a couple who has been together for a long time having sex before they get married?

If you buy a car, or a house, dont you want to check it out before you buy it?

What if you are moving towards getting married? Dont you want to know what the person you will spend the rest of your life with looks like naked? And there's practical issues too. I dont want to get too graphic here, but the tightness of the female v***** varies from individual to individual, and the thickness of the male p**** varies from individual to individual. Dont you want to make sure your organs are compatible and not mismatched? Dont you want to know what your partner smells and tastes like? Dont you want to know if the female is or isnt allergic to your semen? Dont you want to know if your partner is frigid and non expressive or vibrant and expressive? Dont you want to know if your partner is down for trying a lot or is not open to much more than missionary?

Oh but no, you and God tell us we are supposed to basically do a blind buy with respect to one of the most important aspects of a normal marriage.

Yeah, sorry, but im going with reason here.
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #41

Post by Wissing »

To the OP...

I don't think one's understanding should precede ones ethic.

In other words, I should be able to say "it's wrong" without knowing why it's wrong.

If knowledge were a prerequisite for ethical behavior, then ignorant people cannot be held responsible. Ignorance is no excuse. There are many oppressive, powerful people in the world who have no idea why or how they are harming others, but those people need to be held accountable even if they're oblivious. Let them eat cake? No thanks.

A parent must be able to govern children on a trust basis, not a legal basis. Some lessons cannot be learned in a book, or a study... and even the ones that can, take many years to understand. Some take centuries.

I hope that trial and error is not the only way to learn about sex. I hope I can get it right the first time. In fact, I'll bet the rest of my life on that hope. If I lose, so be it.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Pre-marital sex and relationships

Post #42

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by agnosticatheist]
Oh but no, you and God tell us we are supposed to basically do a blind buy with respect to one of the most important aspects of a normal marriage.

I am not clear on just what God does tell us about how He views sex before marriage.

Christians call it "fornication" but I'm not sure that God does.

The law of Moses has plenty of rules about sexual relationships, but is there any that forbid any sexual contact with anyone prior to marriage?

Or anything that says that plainly and clearly in the New Testament?