Mel Gibson and "The Passion of The Christ"

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Sleeper

Mel Gibson and "The Passion of The Christ"

Post #1

Post by Sleeper »

After reading many articles and seeing a number of interviews with Mel Gibson about his movie, I have realized why there are so many against Gibson and his movie.

It will inspire thought and will also inspire people to read the gospels. The secularists in this country don't want that at all. They are wanting this country to move away from Christianity not embrace it.

What are your thoughts on why the Mel Gibson is receiving such harsh criticism over "The Passion of The Christ"?

EnigmaAtlas
Student

Post #31

Post by EnigmaAtlas »

The Passion was the worst piece of trash ever! seriously... how does watching Jesus get his asskicked for 2 hours inspire anyone? lol oh my whats that over there? do the jews have horns?! like common people. the man jesus did and said alot of great things when he walked the earth and this movie throws that aside and focuses more on the jews telling the romans to beat the piss out of him.

this movie inspired me to watch Braveheart... so i think it missed its mark.

EnigmaAtlas
Student

Post #32

Post by EnigmaAtlas »

btw... Braveheart... good movie

Jaysin
Student

Post #33

Post by Jaysin »

I thought this was a terrible movie... unless you want to see Jesus get the crap kick out of him for 3 hours...

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #34

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

Yeah, I dare anyone to watch this movie and say that Mel Gibson isn't anti-semetic.

Even from a Christian perspective, it is really doing nothing but creating hate by focusing on how Jesus died. Honestly, I think South Park can sum it up a lot better than me:

"...if you wanna be Christian, that's cool, but, you should follow what Jesus taught instead of how he got killed. Focusing on how he got killed is what people did in the Dark Ages and it ends up with really bad results. "

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #35

Post by OnceConvinced »

It was trying to appeal to emotion. Oh how terrible it is that Christ should have to go through so much torture. And he did it all for us!

But yet when you think about it, we'll go through so, so, so much worse when we're burning for all eternity in Hell. What Christ supposedly went through in this movie is nothing compared to what people who are unable to believe in Christ are going to suffer. You cannot claim that Christ took our punishment for us in this scenario.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Nilloc James »

But yet when you think about it, we'll go through so, so, so much worse when we're burning for all eternity in Hell.
Regardless of whether I go to heaven or hell I would rather be just dead.

An eternity of sitting around on a cloud would drive me insane, at least hell would keep you on your toes. :D

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #37

Post by OnceConvinced »

Nilloc James wrote:
But yet when you think about it, we'll go through so, so, so much worse when we're burning for all eternity in Hell.

An eternity of sitting around on a cloud would drive me insane, at least hell would keep you on your toes. :D
But think about it, you'd get to worship at God's feet for all eternity. Wouldn't you love that?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by Nilloc James »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Nilloc James wrote:

But think about it, you'd get to worship at God's feet for all eternity. Wouldn't you love that?
Time to slice up small children, drink baby blood, and blashpeme the lord to get a free ticket to hell, the free sauna.

Jaysin
Student

Post #39

Post by Jaysin »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Nilloc James wrote:

I personally would not like to worship an invisible Kim Jong Ill in the sky for all of eternity. That's just me.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Cathar1950 »

I thought it was a long snuff film.
I enjoyed the part where someone calls Mary the "Mother of God", as if that ever happened in the lifetime of Jesus, even on the cross.
When I think of the tens of thousands of Jews put to death in much the same fashion by Rome the shock seems much greater.