Moderator: Moderators

BirdofPrey
Student

How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #1

Post by BirdofPrey »

Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?

Peg
Student

Re: How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #31

Post by Peg »

McCulloch wrote: Thank you for that reminder. The term god can be used metaphorically, as in the expression the god of this world. Not that anything other that the One True God is a god, but that it can be seen to have a certain analogous similarities to the god. Do you think that there is any confusion in the minds of any Christians between the one true god and various so-called gods?

the term 'god' (El) in the original language simply meant 'mighty one' and the way the word is used in the hebrew scriptures is in reference to people and to angels because god/El is just a descriptive title, its not a personal 'name'

Among Christians it has become synonymous with the 'True God' and so everyone who now uses the term believes it only applies to the true God, but in actual fact, it can apply to many things as it does in the scriptures.
And this is evident by the fact that people of all religions apply the term god to their own gods.... the hindus worship Vishnu and muslims worship Allah, and they are called god... its really no different to how it was in the first century except that christians do not differentiate between the gods of the nations and their own God

The only way to differentiate is to use the name of the Hebrew God Jehovah/Yahweh because that IS a personal name of the God of the bible.

Peg
Student

Re: How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #32

Post by Peg »

BirdofPrey wrote:Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?
You do so by putting faith in the name of God, but you can only put your faith in someone if you actually know them...so you need to take in knowledge.

Paul explained it in the surrounding verses of Romans:

11 For the Scripture says: “None that rests his faith on him will be disappointed.� 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for there is the same Lord over all, who is rich to all those calling upon him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.� 14 However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard?

Paul was quoting from the hebrew scriptures in this passage...it comes from the book of Joel 2:32...in the original language, the tetragrammaton (the name of God) appears in the verse:
Joel 2:32 And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones, just as Jehovah has said, and in among the survivors, whom Jehovah is calling.�

To call on the name of Jehovah means to know Jehovah and put your faith in him. Many christians are calling on Jesus, but the Hebrew scriptures mention only Jehovah.

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #33

Post by teddy_trueblood »

I don't disagree with Peg, but must insist that there is also an important elemental meaning "in calling on the name of..."

From post #20:
Since it is a requirement to call upon, or invoke the name Jehovah, the knowledge and use of that name IS essential (as made known in the OT at least)! And, like knowing God, “calling upon his name, Jehovah� includes much more than merely pronouncing his name aloud in prayer. But, nevertheless, it does include the knowledge and use of his personal name, Jehovah (or Yahweh).

For example, Elijah, in his famous demonstration of who the only true God is, told the priests of Baal, “Call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of Jehovah: and the God that answers by fire, let him be God.�

So how did the priests of Baal call on the name of their god?

“And they ... called on the name of Baal ... saying ‘O Baal, hear us.’� And how did Elijah call on the name of Jehovah? “O Jehovah .... Hear me, O Jehovah, hear me, that this people may know that thou, Jehovah, art God.... And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, ‘Jehovah, he is God’� - ASV, 1 Ki.18:24, 26, 36-39. - Obviously, calling on (or invoking) the name of Jehovah includes the reverent use of that only personal name of the true God!

Many other scriptures throughout the OT declare the extreme importance (to God and us) of our knowing and declaring and calling upon the name Jehovah. - see
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.co ... -god.html
"Let everything that hath breath praise Jehovah. Praise ye Jehovah." - Ps. 150:6, ASV.

bluethread
Savant

Post #34

Post by bluethread »

teddy_trueblood wrote:I don't disagree with Peg, but must insist that there is also an important elemental meaning "in calling on the name of..."

From post #20:
Since it is a requirement to call upon, or invoke the name Jehovah, the knowledge and use of that name IS essential (as made known in the OT at least)! And, like knowing God, “calling upon his name, Jehovah� includes much more than merely pronouncing his name aloud in prayer. But, nevertheless, it does include the knowledge and use of his personal name, Jehovah (or Yahweh).

For example, Elijah, in his famous demonstration of who the only true God is, told the priests of Baal, “Call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of Jehovah: and the God that answers by fire, let him be God.�

So how did the priests of Baal call on the name of their god?

“And they ... called on the name of Baal ... saying ‘O Baal, hear us.’� And how did Elijah call on the name of Jehovah? “O Jehovah .... Hear me, O Jehovah, hear me, that this people may know that thou, Jehovah, art God.... And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, ‘Jehovah, he is God’� - ASV, 1 Ki.18:24, 26, 36-39. - Obviously, calling on (or invoking) the name of Jehovah includes the reverent use of that only personal name of the true God!

Many other scriptures throughout the OT declare the extreme importance (to God and us) of our knowing and declaring and calling upon the name Jehovah. - see
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.co ... -god.html
"Let everything that hath breath praise Jehovah. Praise ye Jehovah." - Ps. 150:6, ASV.
The problem with giving special significance to the arrangement of letters Yud, Hey, Vav, Hey is that it runs the risk of encouraging idolatry. The letters nor the specific arrangement of them has no significance without context, ie understanding, as others have pointed out. The support for this is in asking a question similar to the one that Paul uses in regard to circumcision. What name did Avraham use when He was given the promise? If Avraham received the promise by the specific name Yud, Hey, Vav, Hey, why was this not noted at the time and why was this not well known by Adonai's people in general and Moshe' specifically.

Getting back to context, if we look at the times when Adonai's name was requested in the Tanach, Adonai is reluctant to reveal a specific name. This question appears to be answered not with a specific name, but a presentation of a context driven attribute, ie "wonderful". For the sake of reference in compiling HaTorah, Moshe' generally uses Yud, Hey, Vav, Hey as a convenient reference, when context does not effect the reference to Adonai. It is my belief that Adonai's people gave a significance to that grouping of letters that went beyond what Adonai had actually intended, much as many today do with the letter groupiing J-E-S-U-S.

Now, it is my understanding that in ancient near eastern culture one's name was not simply a title, but embodies the essence of ones heretage or culture. This is why we see name changes at significant times, ie Avram/Avraham, Yacov/Israel, Shaul/Paul. This being the case, telling someone your name gave them an advantage over you, since you reveal something significant about yourself in doing so. Applying these to Adonai, we are faced with some problems that explain Adonai's reluctance to reveal A name. First, what grouping of letters could ever embody the essence of Adonai? Second, seeking to gain an advantage or control over Adonai is not an honorable thing.

So, why are we commanded to "call on the name of the Adonai" and how do we do that? Well, I would say that we are to invoke the essence of Adonai as we best understand it. This can be different for different people, as one here has pointed out, due to different levels of undertanding. However, we are not to be content with that. We are to "study to show ourselves approved". Therefore, I believe that, when we are told to "call on the name of Adonai, and you willl be saved", as we seek out and proclaim the essense of Adonai we are and continue to be saved in an increasing measure, ie eternal life and the various aspects of that life.

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by teddy_trueblood »

“I believe that, when we are told to "call on the name of Adonai, and you willl be saved", as we seek out and proclaim the essense of Adonai we are and continue to be saved in an increasing measure, ie eternal life and the various aspects of that life.�
You certainly are entitled to believe what you wish about ‘essence,’ but where does scripture show anyone ‘calling on the name of Adonai’?

Adonai is merely a title (like elohim - ‘God’), not a personal name like ‘Moses,’ or David,’ or ‘Jehovah’! So where do we see in scripture anyone calling on the name of adonai?

Gen. 12:8 “….and there he [Abram] builded an altar unto Jehovah, and called upon the name of [YHWH] Jehovah.� - ASV.

1 Ki. 18:24 - 38 “You must call on the name of your god, and I shall call on the name of [YHWH] Yahweh.� - NJB.

2 Ki. 5:11 “He will certainly come out to me and will stand and call on the name of
[YHWH] Jehovah his God
, and will wave his hand over the place, and recover the leper.� - KJIIV and The Interlinear Bible.

1 Chron. 16:8 “Give thanks to Yahweh [YHWH], call his name aloud, proclaim his deeds to the peoples.� - NJB.

1 Chron. 21:26 “And David built there an altar unto Jehovah, and offered burnt-offerings and peace-offerings, and called upon Jehovah� - ASV.

Ps. 105:1 “O give thanks to Jehovah [YHWH]; call on His name; make His deeds known among the peoples.� - KJIIV.

Ps. 116:4 “I called on the name of [YHWH] Yahweh. Deliver me, Yahweh, I beg you.� - NJB.

Ps. 116:13 “I will take the cup of salvation, And call upon the name of Jehovah.� - ASV.

Ps. 116:17 “I will sacrifice to You the sacrifice of thanks and will call on the name of Jehovah [YHWH].� - KJIIV.

Is. 12:4 “And in that day you shall say, Praise Jehovah! Call on His name; declare His doings among the peoples; make mention that His name is exalted.� - KJIIV.

Joel 3:5 (2:32) “All who call on the name of Yahweh [YHWH] will be saved,� - NJB.

Zeph. 3:9 “For then will I turn to the peoples of a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of [YHWH] Jehovah, to serve him with one consent.� - ASV.

Zech 13:9 “I shall pass this third through the fire, refine them as silver is refined, test them as gold is tested. He will call on my name and I shall answer him; I shall say, 'He is my people,' and he will say, 'Yahweh [YHWH] is my God!’ � - NJB.
………..........…….

YHWH [transliterated into English as ‘Jehovah,’ ‘Yahweh,’ or ‘Yehowah’] is, by far, the most-used personal name in the Scriptures. Even the KJV manages to use it properly on rare occasions:

Ps. 83:17, 18 “Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish: That men may know that thou, whose name alone is [YHWH] JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.�

And the NEB says at Ex. 3:15: “you must tell the Israelites this, that it is [YHWH] JEHOVAH, the God of their forefathers … who has sent you [Moses] to them. This is my name for ever�.

And the Living Bible states at Deut. 6:4: “O Israel, listen: Jehovah [YHWH] is our God, Jehovah [YHWH] alone.�

And the Modern Language Bible tells us at Ex. 3:15: “God said further to Moses, You tell the Israelites: Jehovah [YHWH], the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob has sent me to you. This is my name forever and by this I am to be remembered through all generations.�
[/b]

bluethread
Savant

Post #36

Post by bluethread »

teddy_trueblood wrote:
“I believe that, when we are told to "call on the name of Adonai, and you willl be saved", as we seek out and proclaim the essense of Adonai we are and continue to be saved in an increasing measure, ie eternal life and the various aspects of that life.�
You certainly are entitled to believe what you wish about ‘essence,’ but where does scripture show anyone ‘calling on the name of Adonai’?

Adonai is merely a title (like elohim - ‘God’), not a personal name like ‘Moses,’ or David,’ or ‘Jehovah’! So where do we see in scripture anyone calling on the name of adonai?
That is precisely my point. The Scriptures do not say J-e-h-o-v-a-h either. There are four letters. I would post then here, but I am not familiar with how to do fonts on this sight. How those letters are to be pronounced is in question. There are rabbinic vowel markings in the Chumash, but Torah Scrolls do not have those markings. Out of respect, the rabbis use the term Adonai. That means Lord and the infinite personal creator is much more than that. However, the infinite personal creator is more than "I am than I Am" also.

Your, reference to personal names is also to the point. Both David and Moshe' are not just names, as we use names today. They mean specific things. In the Scriptures, when one is addressing someone as David, they are either equating that one with the king or blessing that one, since David means blessed one. When one refers to Moshe', they are invoking the the image of his being drawn from the waters. Now, in the Scriptures the infinite personal creator is refered to by many names. The infinite personal creator gives Moshe' the name YHVH(not the actual letters) because Moshe' insisted that he have a name to give to the Isrealites so they would listen to him. This being the case, it became an identifier through usage and as an alternative to the names of the gods of the nations. So, it is the characteristics of a person that makes them holy(set apart) and a name is given to recognize those characteristics, not the other way around.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

bluethread wrote: The Scriptures do not say J-e-h-o-v-a-h either. There are four letters. I would post then here, but I am not familiar with how to do fonts on this sight.
You can copy/paste Hebrew letters. These are from the Wiki article on the Tetragrammaton.

יהוה

I used [ size=18 ] for that. The copy/paste comes out real small.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

bluethread
Savant

Post #38

Post by bluethread »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
bluethread wrote: The Scriptures do not say J-e-h-o-v-a-h either. There are four letters. I would post then here, but I am not familiar with how to do fonts on this sight.
You can copy/paste Hebrew letters. These are from the Wiki article on the Tetragrammaton.

יהוה

I used [ size=18 ] for that. The copy/paste comes out real small.
Thanks. תודה רבה

Prince
Scholar

Post #39

Post by Prince »

It s amazing that Jesus never said anything about calling on the name of the Lord. That is not to say it is not important because it is. Jesus came and spread the word of God. He said that was why He was sent. He said that He revealed His Fathers name to His disciples.But no one seems to agree on the Name of the Father.The reason no one knows the name of the Father is that people do not really follow the son of man and Jesus. They do not take His command serious because the churches have taught more from Paul and not from Jesus.

Jesus told His followers to do what He did. He said "As the Father sent me so I send you", and "What I have done that is what you must do". What Jesus said was what the Father commanded Him so that is what His followers must do as well.I am telling you this because this will lead you to the name of the Father because when that verse was written Jesus had not been born and Jesus is not the name to call on. Not that Jesus is not the son of God but that is not His divine name anyway.

BK of John;

"Now glorify me, Father, with you, with the glory that I had with you before the world began.
I revealed your name to those whom you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.
Now they know that everything you gave me is from you,
because the words you gave to me I have given to them, and they accepted them and truly understood that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me".

I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one.
They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.
Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth.
As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.
And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.
"I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.
Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

bluethread
Savant

Post #40

Post by bluethread »

Prince, how gnostic of you. I gather that if I do not now know the "devine name" you seem to be eluding to, I am not truly a believer in the God of Avraham,Yitzchak and Yacov. Is this what you would contend?