The Bible Says So....

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Sntrose
Student

The Bible Says So....

Post #1

Post by Sntrose »

This is directed to my Christian friends here, coming from an atheist. I have been reading through some of the posts here, and I keep running across the same thing. It's got me very confused. Why is it that when asked a moral question, the answer is "because it is in the Bible." ? The line of logic seems to stop there.

Usually, it is accompanied by a quote from Scripture, and then something along the lines of, "it's clearly in the Bible. So that's why it's a sin. The Bible says so."

What it is about this book that I'm not getting? What kind of book is there that could possibly be so infallible that you would never question it's contents? Nothing can be wrong? Not even a translation error? As long as it's in the Bible, you can relax...it must be right! It's in the Bible. So we don't have to think any more?

I sincerely do not intend this to be insulting. I mean it as a question. Read this in a happy voice...not a sarcastic one. That is the tone I intend...and would prefer the answers to be in....

;)

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Re: The Bible Says So....

Post #221

Post by Strider324 »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 216 by Danmark]

the reason that people do not believe in the first place is because they have been deluded
Yeah, and apparently they were deluded into not believing by the very god that will send them to hell for....not believing. What a great plan. Where do I sign up?
:roll:
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #222

Post by Danmark »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 217 by Goat]

There is archaeological evidence, the bible is made up of eyewitness accounts eg there is moses, Corroborating Accounts e.g of the Jewish historian Josephus, literary and prophetic consistency, Leader Acceptance. ...
It would be more accurate to say "There is archaeological evidence, the bible is made up."

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #223

Post by Goat »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 217 by Goat]

There is archaeological evidence, the bible is made up of eyewitness accounts eg there is moses, Corroborating Accounts e.g of the Jewish historian Josephus, literary and prophetic consistency, Leader Acceptance. A majority of the greatest leaders and thinkers in history have affirmed the truth and impact of the Bible. "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given man. All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to us through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong.� Abraham Lincoln. And finally changed lives! Augustine,Martin Luther....
Really??Can you provide any evidence external to the bible that Moses actually existed, and it not merely a tall tale? The fact that the story of Moses' childhood, mirroring the legend of Sargon indicates it is a myth.

As for the collaborating accounts of Josephus, it appears a lot of his works were tampered with. Nor, what Josephus an eye witness.... and he certainly did not provide any evidence for the supernatural occurrences of the bible. On the other hand, he might have been a source for history for the anonymous author of Luke/Acts.

You make lots of claims. Your claims are not supported by your writings.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

daughterofthefaith
Student

Post #224

Post by daughterofthefaith »

[Replying to post 223 by Goat]

To all those who are debating with me on this, I feel like this is going round and round in circles and not actually getting anywhere, and am most aware that you will point the finger at me and tell me i don't know what i am talking about. The most important thing is I know I am right, I have tried my best to explain the truth to you all but I can see tht you are rejecting it. I have said it before but there is coming a day when you will look back and blame yourself for all these opportunities that you have missed.

There is only one true God and it is of him that we read of in the Bible. I gave evidence for the Bible validity but it has been stubbornly rejected. To be honest when presented with a world that came from nothing, no hope beyond the grave, no saviour, no hope of heaven OR a world that was made by an awesome Creator, a Christ who died on Calvary and offers to us salvation and eternal life, I choose Christ. I choose the Bible and I will never turn my back on my Redeemer or leave off from the faith. I have decided to put my hand to the plough and by Gods grace I will never turn back. I will continue to share with others my Jesus and tell the lost of their need of Christ for without him we are all damned to a lake of everlasting fire, I don't know about you but I don't want to be there, my destination is heaven, what about you? All you have to do is simply put your faith in Christ and believe and ask him to come into your heart and he will!

John 3v16 KJV "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #225

Post by Danmark »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 223 by Goat]

To all those who are debating with me on this, I feel like this is going round and round in circles and not actually getting anywhere, and am most aware that you will point the finger at me and tell me i don't know what i am talking about. The most important thing is I know I am right, I have tried my best to explain the truth to you all but I can see tht you are rejecting it. I have said it before but there is coming a day when you will look back and blame yourself for all these opportunities that you have missed.

There is only one true God and it is of him that we read of in the Bible. I gave evidence for the Bible validity but it has been stubbornly rejected. To be honest when presented with a world that came from nothing, no hope beyond the grave, no saviour, no hope of heaven OR a world that was made by an awesome Creator, a Christ who died on Calvary and offers to us salvation and eternal life, I choose Christ. I choose the Bible and I will never turn my back on my Redeemer or leave off from the faith. I have decided to put my hand to the plough and by Gods grace I will never turn back. I will continue to share with others my Jesus and tell the lost of their need of Christ for without him we are all damned to a lake of everlasting fire, I don't know about you but I don't want to be there, my destination is heaven, what about you? All you have to do is simply put your faith in Christ and believe and ask him to come into your heart and he will!

John 3v16 KJV "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"
The issue isn't what you believe, but the basis for your belief. You haven't presented anything that makes a better case for your particular choice of religions, than for the thousands of others. There are 20 well known creation stories and hundreds if not thousands of others. Why is your choice THE only answer?

The problem is that you have failed as a debater to make your case. It might be instructive for you to take note that many of the debaters here, Christians, former Christians, and others, who have studied Christianity longer than you have been alive. Many here have attained 4 year college degrees + post graduate degrees in in various religious studies. This is not to say that merely age or experience or educational attainments settle the issue. It is just something to keep in mind, and help your understand that absolutely nothing you've argued has not been argued here before, and more persuasively.

Quoting a few Bible verses, and the wrong ones at that, is not going to come close to accomplishing your purpose. In fact, you might consider whether your efforts have actually confirmed the belief of many here, that the arguments for Christianity are very weak.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #226

Post by Goat »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 223 by Goat]

Now, that is your very passionate faith to be sure.

But, you are choosing the bible. What evidence that you can give ME that the bible is true and accurate., without resorting to the bible, particularly when it comes to the supernatural claims. Your referring to the bible does not make the bible true.

I see no reason to 'put my faith' in Christ', or anything like that. It appears to me that the concept of 'salvation' is a snake oil cure for a disease that doesn't exist
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #227

Post by dianaiad »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 216 by Danmark]

the reason that people do not believe in the first place is because they have been deluded
Moderator Comment

One line comments such as the above are not helpful and don't advance the conversation; if you have a point to make, support it. As well, it really helps to quote the portion of the post to which you are responding so that the readers know what you are referring to.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

daughterofthefaith
Student

Post #228

[Replying to post 226 by Goat]

I have already answered such a question. How many times must i answer it. There is evidence for its validity. Archaeological etc

Bottom line is do you believe that there is only one God and than JESUS is the only God? If not, then of course you will refuse to believe that the bible is true because in it you find that you are a sinner and in need of him who you turn your back on/

daughterofthefaith
Student

Post #229

[Replying to post 225 by Danmark]

"a little child shall lead them" how interesting that sometimes those without degrees and those who are younger are smarter! Only by God's grace though because without it I would be as blind, refusing to believe in God an the Bible. So many men and women gave their lives so that we could have the Gospel and in our own language what a shame it is just to throw it away.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #230

Post by Danmark »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 225 by Danmark]

"a little child shall lead them" how interesting that sometimes those without degrees and those who are younger are smarter!
Then demonstrate it. You haven't so far. You've only offered bible verses. We've read those. What do you bring to the table that hasn't been seen thousands of times before and found inadequate?

You have presented nothing original. Mere assertion that your choice of religions is 'the one true one' does not cut it.