Who collected the Ransom?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Nick Hallandale
Apprentice

Who collected the Ransom?

Post #1

Post by Nick Hallandale »

The New Testament says that Jesus paid a ransom for many, for all.

Matthew 20:28 KJV
28Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

1Timothy 2:6 KJV
6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

So who collected the ransom?
Was it God?
Was it the Devil?
Was it Mankind?
Tell me who you think collected the ransom and why ?
Nick Hallandale enterprisestrategy@earthlink.net
If GOD gave us a conscience, doesn''t he expect us to obey?
If GOD expects us to obey, can we expect judgement and reward or punishment?

Easyrider

Post #21

Post by Easyrider »

bernee51 wrote: There is absolutely no point in quoting your favourite mythological/metaphorical texts at me.
You make a claim that they are mythological. Can you support that with some evidence?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by bernee51 »

Easyrider wrote:
bernee51 wrote: There is absolutely no point in quoting your favourite mythological/metaphorical texts at me.
You make a claim that they are mythological. Can you support that with some evidence?
I have no evidence that they are anything other than as I state other than the claims of those that believe otherwise. Or to put it another way - do you believe the Bhagvad Gita is mythology? Why so?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Easyrider

Post #23

Post by Easyrider »

bernee51 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
I have no evidence that they are anything other than as I state other than the claims of those that believe otherwise. Or to put it another way - do you believe the Bhagvad Gita is mythology? Why so?
Perhaps you can go into reincarnation and your views on that?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by bernee51 »

Easyrider wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
Perhaps you can go into reincarnation and your views on that?
Though it is a little off topic (but perhaps not - we are talking about debt and reincarnation is seen as a way to pay of karmic debt)...

I do not believe that the popular idea of reincarnation (i.e. we die and are reincarnated in another body) is valid. It is, like all ideas of an afterlife, yet another way of dealing with the obvious impermanance of the phenomenal world.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

redstang281
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by redstang281 »

redstang281 wrote:Sin is a distortion, a corruption, a mutation (if I may) of holiness.

bernee51 wrote:Do you consider man to have 'holiness' or is that a preserve of 'god'

Holiness meaning the state of acceptibility in God's eyes could not be said of mortal mankind.
When Satan chose to rebel against God using his free will he created sin.

Does the 'he' in this statement refer to god or satan?

Satan. Maybe I should have stated that he initiated sin as this seems to be causing a lot of confusion.
redstang281 wrote:
Sin is essentially the act of rebelling from God. It wasn't sin that caused Satan to rebel it was Satan's free will that allowed for it.

I was under the impression that it was the 'sin of pride' which brought about Satan's downfall.

Yes, so what I'm saying is because God had given him free will he was able to manifest this pride that he turned into sin. Instead of standing in awe of God he turned that attention to himself. That's why I said that sin isn't a new creation it is a distortion of an existing creation.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by bernee51 »

redstang281 wrote:
bernee51 wrote:Do you consider man to have 'holiness' or is that a preserve of 'god'

Holiness meaning the state of acceptibility in God's eyes could not be said of mortal mankind.
Are you saying no living human being can ever be acceptible in god's eyes?
redstang281 wrote:

Satan. Maybe I should have stated that he initiated sin as this seems to be causing a lot of confusion.
I was under the impression that (from the bible) god created sin.

Confusion is par for the course with hermeneutics.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

redstang281
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by redstang281 »

redstang281 wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
Are you saying no living human being can ever be acceptible in god's eyes?

Not in human form. We are declared righteous because God judges Jesus in our place.

redstang281 wrote:

I was under the impression that (from the bible) god created sin.

The Bible doesn't say that. It says satan is the originator of sin.
Confusion is par for the course with hermeneutics.

So is confusion with learning other things in life new languages, computer programming, chemistry, politics etc.. It doesn't necessarily mean something is nonsense simply because it is hard to pickup.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by bernee51 »

redstang281 wrote:
Not in human form. We are declared righteous because God judges Jesus in our place.
This begs the question as to why a perfect entity would create a being that can never, in the form he created it, be acceptable to itself.

In judging Jesus is god not judging himself. If he is judging himself that implies there are attributes of himself that are less than perfect.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

redstang281
Apprentice

Post #29

Post by redstang281 »

bernee51 wrote:
redstang281 wrote:

This begs the question as to why a perfect entity would create a being that can never, in the form he created it, be acceptable to itself.

In order to create a dependence of us on himself (God), which I suspect was God's intent.
In judging Jesus is god not judging himself. If he is judging himself that implies there are attributes of himself that are less than perfect.

God is judging Jesus as himself in human. When Jesus walked the earth he was God taking on human form. So for that period of time he was taking on both natures, God and man. So when God judges Jesus he does so in the same fashion he would judge a man. Like you said, there are attributes of mankind that are definitely less then perfect. But because Jesus is God, and he circumvented the curse of sin (by means of the virgin birth) he is able to be found righteous in God's eyes.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Cathar1950 »

According to the oldest traditions, Jesus became God's son at his baptism.
Becoming God's son (anointed) was not divinity any more then David the Priests or the Prophets. The virgin birth is hardly credible and is a misreading of the Hebrew scripture translated into Greek.
In order to create a dependence of us on himself (God), which I suspect was God's intent.
Dependence? Wow, you sure have a low view of God's intent.
"I call you friends not servants"
God is judging Jesus as himself in human. When Jesus walked the earth he was God taking on human form. So for that period of time he was taking on both natures, God and man. So when God judges Jesus he does so in the same fashion he would judge a man. Like you said, there are attributes of mankind that are definitely less then perfect.

How can he have both natures and be perfect?
Why is he judging Jesus or himself?
But because Jesus is God, and he circumvented the curse of sin (by means of the virgin birth) he is able to be found righteous in God's eyes.
The curse of sin is a Pauline invention, which is really the curse of the law.
Maybe he found righteousness in God's eyes as others have but that hardly justifies us. But the fall is really not a Hebrew concept.
The whole thing sound convoluted.