Tokens

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Tokens

Post #1

Post by otseng »

I've added a feature to get tokens for posts in the debate forums. You get 5 tokens for starting a topic. You get 2 tokens if you reply to a topic. Also you get a token for each 100 characters for any post (with a max of 10 per post). (Anything you quote will not count towards the token count.)

Once you amass some tokens, here are some things you can do with them:
- Create your own usergroup
- Have your own custom title
- Give a MPG donation
- Donate tokens to another user
- Have your own email address
Last edited by otseng on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #21

Post by otseng »

Thebombdotcom wrote:Now, is there any other purpose to these tokens besides donating them to someone else, which still falls under collecting them? I read the person with the most tokens each month gets an item from one of two shops, but again, you'd just be collecting them.
You can also spend it or give it away.

Thebombdotcom
Student

Post #22

Post by Thebombdotcom »

otseng wrote:
Thebombdotcom wrote:Now, is there any other purpose to these tokens besides donating them to someone else, which still falls under collecting them? I read the person with the most tokens each month gets an item from one of two shops, but again, you'd just be collecting them.
You can also spend it or give it away.

Thank you, I missed that. I'll be brainstorming of other ideas that we could spend our hard earned tokens on. ;D

Sir Rhetor
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Sir Rhetor »

What about t-shirts and mugs? That would be pretty cool.

There could be design contests, and every major group on this forum could have a set of t-shirts to pick from!

Obviously I am being greedy in asking Otseng to spend his own money on that stuff, but I would not be adverse to a few more ads here. And you could set the token count required high enough that the user would have to visit enough pages so the shirts pay for themselves in the ads. Do you understand what I am saying?

Also, the contests could have a small entry fee, so that some money could be made.

otseng
Savant

Post #24

Post by otseng »

Sir Rhetor wrote:What about t-shirts and mugs? That would be pretty cool.
It would be. Anybody willing to donate the prizes, I'd be happy to give them away. O:)

We used to give away real prizes for the MPG, courtesy of Cmass. It was good while it lasted, but it had to end due to the economy.
Obviously I am being greedy in asking Otseng to spend his own money on that stuff, but I would not be adverse to a few more ads here.
Google is really the only good ad program out there. I've tried others, and they are not worth the effort. So, it would be difficult to generate more money through ads.

Also, I have a negative cash flow each month on this site, even with the ads and donations. When I start having a positive cash flow, I'll definitely consider giving away physical prizes.

Gunnarr

Post #25

Post by Gunnarr »

I take it you do not get tokens for starting threads or posting in your own sub forum.

otseng
Savant

Post #26

Post by otseng »

Gunnarr wrote:I take it you do not get tokens for starting threads or posting in your own sub forum.
Correct. You get tokens only in the debate subforums. All else are tokenless.

Fides et Veritas

Post #27

Post by Fides et Veritas »

Are Ranks part of the token system or is it based off of time on server, number of posts, random role of the dice?

How does it work?

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Fides et Veritas wrote: Are Ranks part of the token system or is it based off of time on server, number of posts, random role of the dice?

How does it work?
By Ranks you mean things like Apprentice, Guru etc.?

That is based on number of posts made. Someplace there is a list of the ranks and the necessary posts for each but I cannot find the thing now. :(
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

otseng
Savant

Post #29

Post by otseng »

Fides et Veritas wrote: Are Ranks part of the token system or is it based off of time on server, number of posts, random role of the dice?

How does it work?
See here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... c.php?t=18

And we probably need to add another level for the 10000 post mark...

Fides et Veritas

Post #30

Post by Fides et Veritas »

otseng wrote:

How does it work?
See here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... c.php?t=18

And we probably need to add another level for the 10000 post mark...
Would it be blasphemous to suggest a rank of God if you reach 50000 posts? And for 10000 maybe a Rank of Legendary and at 25000 you hit Paragon?