Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Artificial Intelligence & Religion

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the article here:

I've changed the quote to reflect the topic, but wanted to quote it in some form...
When superintelligent AI arrives, should religions try to convert it?
For debate:

Should they?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Re: Artificial Intelligence & Religion

Post #21

Post by SailingCyclops »

[Replying to post 18 by jeager106]

Interesting that you focus on my use of the word hypersensitive, but totally ignore the elephant in the room; the point I was making about the disparity in treatment between secular and religious organizations.

Why don't you tell us why the Catholic church, as a pedophile-supporting and enabling organization should not be taken to task along with all their pedophile employees? Because it's a religion?

BTW, no I am not a psychologist, just a lowly professional Electrical Engineer (retired). I used the word Hypersensitive: adjective -- abnormally or excessively sensitive. Which is precisely what I was meaning, not in a clinical sense. Being so sensitive to any criticism of your favorite belief that you tend to take that criticism personally.

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Re: Artificial Intelligence & Religion

Post #22

Post by SailingCyclops »

bluethread wrote: I said nothing about so called "religionists".
Right. I did. I was referring to the exception gifted to "religion" by "religionists" (those having excessive religious zeal.) exempting them from being classified under ICD9 as mentally ill.

I gave several examples, the essence of which goes thus:

I talk to imaginary beings: I am classified as ill. UNLESS that imaginary being is a god, then I am not classified as ill.
Or:
I am a corporation which regularly and historically practices pedophilia. Perpetrators are arrested and the corp is closed down. UNLESS it's a church, then all is forgiven.

My very simple question was WHY?

Instead of answering my point, all I have seen are objections about my use of a word, or a deliberate misunderstanding about what I wrote. That's Ok, I understand why these simple questions go unanswered. There is no sane answer to be had.

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis