Why are 'they' here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Why are 'they' here?

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

Apropos of the other discussion (Why are we here?) - this has been on my mind.

Since the inception of this forum (or the year+ I have been involved) there have been a number of what I would describe as 'hard-line' christians who have dropped by. In recent times Bill55AZ, greenlight, sender, kens91765 and unicorn would be examples. My observation is that many that do come, spout their beliefs, often resort to ad hominems then leave after they are challenged. I also know from experience that many then go back to their 'christian' fora and relate how they "gave it" to the unbelievers.

I note (with a chuckle) that I am on the 'ignore list' of two - Bill55AZ and kens91765

So why do they come? To proseletyze? To have their beliefs 'stroked'? To reinforce their views of the 'godless' and those they consider not to be 'true christians'?

The title of this forum is 'Debating..." So why do they come when debating (which implies a willingness to be challenged and ultimately learn) is the furtherest thing from their mind?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by Cephus »

OccamsRazor wrote:Just going back to the "Why is 'he' here" question. It does seem that a certain individual is overrunning threads with rants which invariably are bent to the same topic of homosexuality.

Is there any way of preventing certain discussions from degenerating in this way?
Don't talk to 1John. It was the same thing with JCrawford, he goes off and rants and raves on and on until people stop paying attention to him, then he shuts up and goes somewhere else. The reason 1John trolls is because people respond to him.

Don't feed the trolls.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Cathar1950 »

Don't feed the trolls.
Cephus that sounds like a t-shirt or bumper-sticker. I love it. =D>
I like a lot of Christians. I even love some of them. But John just comes across as a bigot. I think he is an atheist(nothing against atheist) plant to make Christians look bad. I really don't think atheist would do that . :eyebrow:

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #23

Post by OccamsRazor »

Don't Feed The Trolls!

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Cephus »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Don't feed the trolls.
Cephus that sounds like a t-shirt or bumper-sticker. I love it. =D>
I like a lot of Christians. I even love some of them. But John just comes across as a bigot. I think he is an atheist(nothing against atheist) plant to make Christians look bad. I really don't think atheist would do that . :eyebrow:
No, he's just an idiot. Believe it or not, there are Christian idiots and you usually get a couple popping up on religion forums. They can be racists or sexists, they can hate all other religions, they can be extreme fundamentalists, etc. but they're out there. I think there's something wrong with their wiring upstairs, they simply aren't able to relate to the world the same as the rest of us. It's not the fault of Christianity, the elevator simply doesn't go to the top floor.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by McCulloch »

Cephus wrote:No, he's just an idiot.
Moderator Warning
This discussion has crossed the line. Let's remind ourselves of the rules . Only Atheists and Agnostics may post in this forum but it is publically available for all to read and the rules still apply. I think that every group (except Mensa) will admit they have at least a few idiots. But, let's be careful not to engage in any personal attacks by naming any specific idiots.

If you feel the need to go further and be uncivil, send me a PM.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Cathar1950 »

McCulloch you point is well taken.
I think you need special test to call some one an idiot. I am not sure they use the label(or diagnosis) in psychology today.
The attitude that we were making fun of is not limited to some Christians.
Every one including Christians want to separate fact from fantasy and will go to great lengths to seek some kind of truth they can live with.
When they are found even in their limited environments (the mind) and social orders they are protected often by ignoring all kinds of information. We are all wired that way. Some of our most serious issues make for the best comedy.

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #27

Post by OccamsRazor »

I do often wonder whether a certain individual believes that he can convert people?

Such an individual said to me that my postings were getting in line with Christ and that on this basis I should open up and listen. I really think this implies that I was, in his opinion, "ripe for the turning".

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Cathar1950 »

OccamsRazor write:
I really think this implies that I was, in his opinion, "ripe for the turning".
You may be right on.
Edmund Cohn makes the suggestion in his book The Mind of the Bible-Believer that the liberal and neo-orthodox theologies tried to modernize the message with a form of gnosticism that just made people ripe for the taking by Evangelical Indoctrination.
I love it when people are patronized with such things as "you are almost there" or "you are ready for God" or "you are not far from the truth".

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #29

Post by OccamsRazor »

Cathar1950 wrote:I love it when people are patronized with such things as "you are almost there" or "you are ready for God" or "you are not far from the truth".
I know!
btw - This is a bit of a nonsequiteur but it also drives me nuts when you tell people that you are atheist and they say that "They will pray for you".

It reminds me about another apocryphal quote from my avatar:
Niels Bohr had a lucky horse shoe nailed over the door to his lab. When Einstein asked him, "Surely, Professor Bohr, you don't believe in that old superstition?" Bohr replied, "They say it works even if you don't believe in it."

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Cephus »

While that was perhaps an uncivil term to use, I'm not sure what a better one would be. He's demonstrated his complete inability to engage in any sort of logical, considered discussion or debate on any subject without twisting it around to his personal, preferred bugaboo. I don't know if that demonstrates delusion (like the people who are supremely convinced that Christianity deserves to rule the world) or what.

But I do apologize for calling him an idiot, I'm just at a lack for a more applicable term.