HBO and the Bill Maher Show

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AlAyeti
Guru

HBO and the Bill Maher Show

Post #1

Post by AlAyeti »

How does this show and its "star" find legal grounds to attack Christ, Christians and Christianity? Isn't there federal laws protecting against discrimination and the fomenting of hatred of religious beliefs?

Ronin
Student

Post #21

Post by Ronin »

I find his lack of puting down or making fun of other religions ... somewhat suspect. I'ts not that he attacks Christianity. I'ts that it is the only religion he attacks. I wonder if he is man enough to make a joke about Islam...
I wonder what would happen if he did!!

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Cathar1950 »

Bill makes fun of a lot of people. I think he was rasied a Christian and that makes it an inside joke.
Most of us get it.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Confused »

Regardless of who he has sitting on his panel, he is a comedian. Not a politician or religious leader. I think I get more offended when people like Jesse Jackson feel they can influence the war or politics just because of their affilitiation with the NAACU. Look at who he uses on his panel. Mostly people who under their name and title, in paenthases are (retired), or actors. And most of all, its political, not religious per se. He attacks Chrsitianity, but also makes fun of Islamic as well. Have you not seen some of his "new rules" at the end of his program. Point blank, he is a comdian, not a preacher, not a politician, not even a scholar. Consider the source before you go on a tyrant about a program.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Chem
Apprentice

Post #24

Post by Chem »

How does this show and its "star" find legal grounds to attack Christ, Christians and Christianity? Isn't there federal laws protecting against discrimination and the fomenting of hatred of religious beliefs?
I wonder what would you think of Father Ted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

And how about "The Life of Brian" or "The Meaning of Life"? Life is short enough and we all require a good laugh every now and then. Religion and its pompous pronouncements are an especially rich vein for comedy, like it or lump it.
"I'd rather know than believe" Carl Sagan.

"The worst Government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when the fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression." H.L. Mencken

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Confused »

Chem wrote:
I wonder what would you think of Father Ted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

And how about "The Life of Brian" or "The Meaning of Life"? Life is short enough and we all require a good laugh every now and then. Religion and its pompous pronouncements are an especially rich vein for comedy, like it or lump it.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't care much for Bill Maher, but his "new rules" at the end of his program are hillarious and I have to give him credit for his political and religious incorrectness. Sometimes the world is to serious. We all need a good laugh.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Galphanore »

Ronin wrote:I find his lack of puting down or making fun of other religions ... somewhat suspect. I'ts not that he attacks Christianity. I'ts that it is the only religion he attacks. I wonder if he is man enough to make a joke about Islam...
I wonder what would happen if he did!!
His show is aired in America. The majority of the people in American understand enough about Christianity to understand jokes about it, therefore he jokes about it. If he made a joke about Buddhism most people would not even understand what he was joking about, so it wouldn't be funny. This is not exactly a complicated thing to understand.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.