Questions for Roman Catholics ...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Questions for Roman Catholics ...

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Many Roman Catholics disagree with specific teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. These are not areas where the church has been ambiguous or where there has been any indication that their dogma will ever change. These are issues such as the exclusively male priesthood and the reproductive issues of contraception and abortion.

If you are a Roman Catholic:
Do you agree with the Church on these issues? If so, what is your view on those Roman Catholics who disagree on these issues but remain practicing Roman Catholics? If not, why do you remain in the Roman Catholic church? Why not find a church more in line with your actual beliefs?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Ann
Student

Post #21

Post by Ann »

You're not Catholic. Your perverse opinions are an abomination to God; they demonstrate a hatred of the Faith.

cnorman18

Post #22

Post by cnorman18 »

MODERATOR WARNING

This forum is dedicated to civil and respectful debate. If you feel compelled to denigrate and contemptuously dismiss the opinions and beliefs of others and regard the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church as the only acceptable ideas that may be discussed here, you may wish to find a different forum.

You agreed to accept and abide by certain rules when you joined this forum. Please do so, and don't do this again.
Ann wrote:You're not Catholic. Your perverse opinions are an abomination to God; they demonstrate a hatred of the Faith.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Ann wrote:You're not Catholic. Your perverse opinions are an abomination to God; they demonstrate a hatred of the Faith.
I see you've been reported to the mods.

As to the facts:
I am born, baptised, raised, educated, and confirmed catholic. I was an alter boy, I was in folk mass, i played barsity basketball, i went to parochial school. Like it or not, I am catholic to my backbone. I have a theology degree from a catholic university. I have an theology masters degree where my advisors were catholic. I have read, studied under, been shaped by, and affirmed the teaching of the best catholic minds alive today. My views reflect and are consistent with this training by catholics. AND I AIN'T NEVER BEEN EXCOMMUNICATED. I'm as catholic as you are, deal with it. Or call the pope police on me.

And thankfully, YOU don't get to decide that, NOR do you get to make those uncivil accusations here. Stow it eh?

AND you don't have the foggiest notion what god thinks or wants, or how he/she/it feels about me (but I think we're on close terms). You just have your extremist neo-midieval neo-triumphalist doctrinal fundamnetalist version of it.

So kindly retract and crawl back into your hovel of hate until you learn 1. some manners and 2. what the top modern academic catholic theologians actually teach.

See ya in church (or in hell?? nah, probably purgatory!).

cnorman18

Post #24

Post by cnorman18 »

MODERATOR REMINDER

An uncivil lecture isn't an appropriate response to an uncivil post. Report the post, or if it's already been reported, leave it alone. That's all.

Lecturing those who violate the rules is OUR job.

Slopeshoulder wrote:

As to the facts:
I am born, baptised, raised, educated, and confirmed catholic. I was an alter boy, I was in folk mass, i played barsity basketball, i went to parochial school. Like it or not, I am catholic to my backbone. I have a theology degree from a catholic university. I have an theology masters degree where my advisors were catholic. I have read, studied under, been shaped by, and affirmed the teaching of the best catholic minds alive today. My views reflect and are consistent with this training by catholics. AND I AIN'T NEVER BEEN EXCOMMUNICATED. I'm as catholic as you are, deal with it. Or call the pope police on me.

And thankfully, YOU don't get to decide that, NOR do you get to make those uncivil accusations here. Stow it eh?

AND you don't have the foggiest notion what god thinks or wants, or how he/she/it feels about me (but I think we're on close terms). You just have your extremist neo-midieval neo-triumphalist doctrinal fundamnetalist version of it.

So kindly retract and crawl back into your hovel of hate until you learn 1. some manners and 2. what the top modern academic catholic theologians actually teach.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by McCulloch »

Slopeshoulder wrote: I think the catechism is an embarrassment, a relic, and a joke. I think catechism quoters are zombies. I also think the last two popes are a disaster, and Paul VI was something of a tragedy (read Gary Wills' treatment of the path to the birth control encyclical; he really blew it, big time).
Are you saying that these disasters, appointed to the chair of Peter, God's vicars on Earth were mistaken when speaking ex cathedra?
Slopeshoulder wrote: I disagree with the Vatican on married priests
There is wiggle room on this issue.
Slopeshoulder wrote: , female priests, sexual ethics, birth control, homosexuality, etc.
The position of the Church on these issues has been laid out rather plainly. Do you disagree with the Church on what they claim about what God himself has instructed?
Slopeshoulder wrote: Significantly, 99% of my catholic friends, family, teachers, and acquaintances over the past 50 years agree.
Why do you remain Catholic when you disagree so strongly with the teaching and practice of the Church?
Slopeshoulder wrote: I think they have many pockets of great brilliance and discernment for those who care to look. Some sublime stuff. Oh, and they created liberation theology, and had great existentialists too. And the art! I also appreciate their perspective on non-social and economic issues quite a bit. I like their depth and breadth of theology, spirituality, practice, and scholarship.
So do many other religious traditions. I do not see that as a reason to identify myself with those I disagree with.

While she put it rather strongly, I have to say that I agree to some degree with Ann. You have a Catholic background and Catholic roots, some Catholic theology and history, but you disagree with that the Catholic Church says that God teaches.
Gospel of John

Ann
Student

Post #26

Post by Ann »

cnorman18 wrote:MODERATOR WARNING

This forum is dedicated to civil and respectful debate. If you feel compelled to denigrate and contemptuously dismiss the opinions and beliefs of others...

I was neither denigrating nor contemptuously dismissing his opinions or beliefs. Slopeshoulder claims to be Catholic, but rejects Catholic dogma. Therefore, he cannot possibly be Catholic. For the Catholic Church teaches that nobody can reject a dogma and remain Catholic.

Pope Eugine IV, ex cathadra:

"Therefore it [the Church] condemns, rejects, and declares to be outside the Body of Christ, which is the Church, whoever holds opposing or contrary views."

Heretics are those baptized persons who deny one or more dogmas of the Catholic Faith. As such, the Church infallibly teaches that such people who deny an authoritative teaching of the faith are automatically excommunicated from the Church.

Slopeshoulder wrote:

As to the facts:

“It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.� Niccolò Machiavelli

Ann

Joshua Patrick
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by Joshua Patrick »

I don't want to get a warning for this, but seriously Slopeshoulder cannot class himself has Catholic, as Ann stated "...they demonstrate a hatred of the Faith.".

Even Slopeshoulder went against the church teachings when he clearly professed;
I think the catechism is an embarassment, a relic, and a joke. I think catechism quoters are zombies.
As he should know has a Catholic, we as Catholics believe the Catechism is infallible in it's teachings.

I disagree with the vatican on married priests, female priests, sexual ethics, birth control, homosexuality
Wow, you deserve ex-communication.

But I think McCulloch summed this up very well;
You have a Catholic background and Catholic roots, some Catholic theology and history, but you disagree with that the Catholic Church says that God teaches.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Lux »

Moderator Comment
Ann wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:MODERATOR WARNING

This forum is dedicated to civil and respectful debate. If you feel compelled to denigrate and contemptuously dismiss the opinions and beliefs of others...

I was neither denigrating nor contemptuously dismissing his opinions or beliefs. Slopeshoulder claims to be Catholic, but rejects Catholic dogma. Therefore, he cannot possibly be Catholic. For the Catholic Church teaches that nobody can reject a dogma and remain Catholic.

Challenges and questions regarding moderator actions are to be made by PM, not in public, according to the rules.

Also, as I general comment, I suggest we all stop telling Slopeshoulder what religion he is, unless he's expressly open to such a discussion.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by McCulloch »

This goes to the very point of the question. Why is it that some people wish to be identified with a religion that they disagree with? I don't get it. The disagreement is not over trifles but major points which the establishment of the religious body have claimed is teachings straight from God.
Gospel of John

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Lux »

McCulloch wrote:This goes to the very point of the question. Why is it that some people wish to be identified with a religion that they disagree with? I don't get it. The disagreement is not over trifles but major points which the establishment of the religious body have claimed is teachings straight from God.
That is something I've never understood myself. I suppose the answer is related to how difficult it is to abandon the religion one was born into.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.