Christian response to homosexual marriage?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

bjs
Prodigy

Christian response to homosexual marriage?

Post #1

Post by bjs »

Should Christians in the USA support or oppose the legalization of homosexual marriage in their state?

I put this debate topic in this sub-forum because I’m not really interested in atheists’ opinions here, but I do wonder what Christians think.

On the one hand, we do not have to look far in our world to see what happens when people try to enforce their worldview on others. The result is always disastrous. I do not like the idea of Christians trying to legal enforce their worldview.

On the other hand, recent history has shown us that when gay marriage is legalized the right to oppose, or even abstain from involvement, is quickly lost. Opposing or abstaining from homosexual marriage is outlawed on the charge of discrimination. If gay marriage is legalized then we should expect, at the very minimum, that those who are morally opposed to homosexual action will still be required to act in support of homosexual actions if they wish to do business in their state.

I am unsure of the right approach. What do others Christians think?

KCKID
Guru

Re: Christian response to homosexual marriage?

Post #141

Post by KCKID »

GISMYS wrote: [Replying to post 136 by KCKID]

LOL!!! What do you think tis verse is talking about?========""Their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved.
"" this is the sick abomination of sexual perversion!!!DUH!!
Are we on the same page ...? I've already acknowledged that the men (those being spoken of by Paul) were worshiping idols and participating (PUBLICLY, it would appear) in sexual rituals with male temple prostitutes who were seen to be 'sacred' ...refer to the Bible Lexicon and look up 'sodomite'. The very text you presented tells us this! Have you any idea WHY these sexual practices were occurring? No? Well, I would suggest you educate yourself and read up on idolatry. As mentioned previously, there's plenty on the Internet about the practices of ancient idolatry. And, until you grasp this you will have no idea what Romans 1 is talking about. But, you will likely still claim that you do.

The sexual practices of idolatry had nothing to do with consensual intimacy between two people and surely you must know this ...even from a common sense, if not educational, perspective. As for the women ...where does Romans 1 say anything about sex? Moreover, if God's 'natural plan' was sex between a man and a woman (for procreation purposes or for pleasure? Hmmm ...) then did not Paul violate that 'plan' by remaining single? So many questions, so few answers . . .

One particular thing that always comes through loud and clear to me is the passion and the zeal that Christian fundamentalists display toward homosexuality and their condemnation of it but not a peep toward those that eat shrimp or (as most Christians do every week!) profane the Sabbath . . .

Hmmmm, why is this? Methinks that the Bible has nothing to do with it . . .
Last edited by KCKID on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GISMYS
Banned
Banned

Post #142

Post by GISMYS »

[Replying to post 140 by KCKID]

LOL! ==This is SEXUAL PERVERSION==Their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men.

KCKID
Guru

Post #143

Post by KCKID »

GISMYS wrote: [Replying to post 140 by KCKID]

LOL! ==This is SEXUAL PERVERSION==Their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men.
There is no debate occurring here. As much as I'd like to, there is no point continuing this discussion.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #144

Post by Danmark »

GISMYS wrote: [Replying to post 138 by Danmark]

GOD knows by His foreknowledge those who will chose to believe and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. GOD counts them as His elect and they are predestinated by God, to be sons of God, because He knows of their choice to believe and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. The unbeliever, GOD knows by His foreknowledge will chose to reject God and God's love and they are predestioned to go to hell because of their choice to reject GOD.
BELIEVERS ARE predestinated (elected)by God because GOD saw them choose HIM before creation. God is outside time, we humans live on a time line created for mankind and we choose believe or reject,we choose good or evil,to live in the light or darkness.=ALL our choice Adam-----------------------------------------------End of this age. God sees adam today=NOW and God sees the end of this age today=NOW!!
I'm sorry, but you appear to be misquoting scripture. God quite clearly decides what we should think, and whether we will be saved. "predestined according to the purpose of him" The 'him' refers to God. I have this on clear authority, not just from the Bible, but from John Calvin.

GISMYS
Banned
Banned

Post #145

Post by GISMYS »

[Replying to post 143 by Danmark]

AGAIN! God is outside time, God predestined those He sees will believe in Him.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #146

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 144 by GISMYS]

How can I choose to reject god if I am pre-destined to reject god? What is the point of even creating me in the first place?

Seems like a wasted effort, no?

GISMYS
Banned
Banned

Post #147

Post by GISMYS »

[Replying to post 145 by DanieltheDragon]

Put your faith and trust in God and His Word not in the silly ideas and opinions of little man. God is just and loving God has never created anyone without choice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #148

Post by McCulloch »

GISMYS wrote:Put your faith and trust in God and His Word not in the silly ideas and opinions of little man. God is just and loving God has never created anyone without choice.
I would really like to trust God and his word. The problem is that to my knowledge, God has never communicated with me. So, I have no idea even if a God is there and I certainly do not know what his word is.

I will however continue to ignore the theological speculations, opinions and silly ideas presented by little men: David, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Jeremiah, Matthew, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, James, Mani, Mohammed, Adi Da Samraj, Bahá’u’lláh, Mary Baker Eddy, Joseph Smith, Ellen White, Claude Vorilhon, Guru Gobind Singh, Emanuel Swedenborg, The Urantia Foundation, Sun Myung Moon, …
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

GISMYS
Banned
Banned

Post #149

Post by GISMYS »

[Replying to post 147 by McCulloch]

Talk to God and ask Him to speak to you. Today God talks to mankind through His inspired(God breathed) Word(the Holybible) start your Bible reading and study in the new testment books of Matthew,Romans,Ephesians,Galations that will give you a good base then read it all.

KCKID
Guru

Post #150

Post by KCKID »

no1special wrote: [Replying to post 126 by KCKID]
Romans 1:21-27 King James Version (KJV)

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

It would appear that Paul is referring to those people within the early Christian Church who have rejected 'the truth' and turned instead to the worship of pagan idols and their associated practices. These practices involved - apparently - sexual orgies (as we today might call them) performed with sacred temple prostitutes to appease the gods. There is plenty of information available on the Internet if one wishes to delve into the topic of idol worship. Verse 23 of Romans 1 CLEARLY tells us that 'they' (those who rejected the truth for a lie) exchanged the glory of God for images made to resemble mortal man, birds, animals, etc. How come you missed that part?

Your post might be seen as 1. preaching and, 2. quite deceptive because of its glaring omissions. Romans 1 has nothing to do with homosexuality per se and certainly nothing to do with the topic. I've gone into explaining the 'clobber texts' of the Bible so often to people that I've become little better than a worn out vinyl record. Is it possible once and for all that the leaders of the various Christian denominations can explain these things to their flock so that "I" don't have the task of doing it?
Where does it say , hint , or even suggest that God condones , accepts or approves of same sex relationships weather in or outside of marriage , part of or outside of idol worship or under any other circumstances ?
I'm assuming that you're referring to 'the Bible' as 'God'? Why do so many Christian people do this? I believe the Bible to be a book, not a supernatural deity, that contains words written by men. Whether it be a book that is 'God inspired' is up to the individual to believe or not believe. That said, why would the intimate practices between two consenting adults, regardless of their gender preference, need approval from God? I'm sure that we all - including yourself - do many things on a daily basis that would not meet 'God's approval'. So, why target gay people as being those with whom God has a special ax to grind? It's nonsense.