Christian Violence

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Christian Violence

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:Is that why Christians since St. Augustine have not ever really agreed with each other about Jesus' teachings about violence?
1John2_26 wrote:... t is probably because of frustration for evil and violence within so many. But if you use the words of Jesus, there seems to be little fighting one can do in his name. Actually I can't see any. In that I think that the Quakers got it right. You seem to be saying that some Muslims and some atheists are quite as good as other Muslims and atheists. Seems like every human has the same weakness to me. I hope the good ones keep pointing out how to be nice to the bad ones. We Christians do it as a matter of fact, day in and day out. Look at Bush's loudest enemies in the US. Most claim they want their Christianity back. Wierd but true. But there is no jihad in the New Testament anywhere and c'mon jihad does mean war on infidels. That is a fact. [Are] there any wars attributed to Christians fighting to spread Christianity in the last hundred or so years? Islam is still at it.

Which is the correct Christian position? Jesus taught very plainly about violence and the correct reaction to it. Some Christian sects reject violence as a solution to interpersonal or international problems.
On the other hand the practice of many calling themselves Christian involve the practice of war. Augustine and many Christian theologians since have justified violence under certain circumstances. His restrictions are largely ignored by modern Christian soldiers. The same God that the Christians worship appears to have ordered genocide in order that his chosen people could have a homeland.

Question for debate, "Which is the authentic Christian teaching? Just war or Turn the other cheek?"
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

jcrawford
Guru

Re: Christian Violence

Post #131

Post by jcrawford »

McCulloch wrote:Question for debate, "Which is the authentic Christian teaching? Just war or Turn the other cheek?"
The authentic Christian teaching for modern Christian men is to turn the other cheek when a woman slaps them but to go to war against any group of men who kill the unborn children of their marriages without their written consent.

Secular abortionists who kill the unborn children of Christians, Jews and Muslims without their would-be parent's consent are worse than adulterers and ought to be judged like rapists.

Master Coelacanth
Student

Post #132

Post by Master Coelacanth »

The authentic Christian teaching for modern Christian men is to turn the other cheek when a woman slaps them but to go to war against any group of men who kill the unborn children of their marriages without their written consent.

Secular abortionists who kill the unborn children of Christians, Jews and Muslims without their would-be parent's consent are worse than adulterers and ought to be judged like rapists.
I don't even understand what this means... :confused2: But surely it's off topic.

CJK
Scholar

Post #133

Post by CJK »

"Which is the authentic Christian teaching? Just war or Turn the other cheek?"
The bible, for the most part, clearly states turn the other cheek. This makes Christians who advocate war in turn, a hypocrite.

Master Coelacanth
Student

Post #134

The Bible or just the NT? The OT looks pretty war-loving...

CJK
Scholar

Post #135

Post by CJK »

That is why I said "for the most part". The alledged Jesus's specific teaching was turn the other cheek, was it not?

But you are right, the Bible is full of contradictions.

Master Coelacanth
Student

Post #136

I'd rather say "for the least part", since the OT is clearly bigger than the NT. And even the NT is not clear about war.

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #137

Post by trencacloscas »

Sorry. A wrong post
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.
Dr. Gregory House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

(HOUSE MD. Season 1 Episode 5)