Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Bill Maher in Religioulous

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Some mild not safe for work language, I offer this video as a compelling case for all to refute religious belief.
Youtube - Bill Maher in Religulous
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jester
Prodigy

Re: Bill Maher in Religioulous

Post #11

Post by Jester »

joeyknuccione wrote:Some mild not safe for work language, I offer this video as a compelling case for all to refute religious belief.
I saw a trailer for this, but couldn't follow your link (hope its the same one).

Can't say it made me interested at all, though. Maybe the film overall is much better, but it really seemed to be more about making fun of religion than building an objective case.
If you happen to find that amusing, it's certainly within your rights to watch, but it doesn't strike me as having any more value than that.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

joeyknuccione wrote: Some mild not safe for work language, I offer this video as a compelling case for all to refute religious belief.
I saw the movie, and frankly it was a disappointment. Maher seemed to delight in pillorying the worst aspects of religion but did not do a great job of refuting its essence. I don't think that documentary movies are the right medium for that job.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

slashreborn06
Student

Post #13

Post by slashreborn06 »

David E wrote:Religulous was entertaining. But Bill Maher is far less knowledgable in counter-apologetics than most atheists who participate on forums like this.

Basically it gave us a few laughs at how utterly crazy religion can be. Light entertainment for the nonbeliever.
Definitely agree. Saw the Movie, and it had some funny parts. I really liked the part with that really awesome Priest in front of the Vatican. I can respect Maher for his views. But I really expected more from this movie. He kept remarking throughout the film how unbiased he was, and that he was out to just ask questions. But to me it just seemed like he had made of his mind long ago that he thought all religion was ridiculous, and the movie certainly did not come across to me as being unbiased.

And most of the Religious people he interviewed were horrible debaters. There are so many learned Religious figures out there, It really didn't seem like he went out of his way to find people who really knew their faith. Oh sure he "tried" to see the Pope. But that was just for show. He must have known that he was never actually going to get to see the Pope. You cant just walk into the Vatican and get an interveiw with the Pope...Ridiculous.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I saw it in previews, on th same night when the local chapter of the humanist society, complete with several security personnel, were in the house.

I like Maher, I laughed. I think he does a good job at pointing out what is ignorant, wacko, scary, pathetic, and dangerous about fundamentalist belief.

But I think he does a bad job of 1. showing compassion for people, 2. offering a viable alternative and a path to it for most people, 3. making nuanced arguments, 4. thinking of any religious belief as something other than talking snakes and stuff and 5. recognizing that a faith in pure human reason may also be niave and possibly dangerous.

Oddly enough, I think the catholics came off pretty well: the eccentric guy outside at the Vatican was making fun of silly fundy beliefs, and the cosmologist seemed pretty straight up, if I recall correctly.

Euphrates
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Euphrates »

McCulloch wrote: I saw the movie, and frankly it was a disappointment. Maher seemed to delight in pillorying the worst aspects of religion but did not do a great job of refuting its essence.
Slopeshoulder wrote:But I think he does a bad job of 1. showing compassion for people, 2. offering a viable alternative and a path to it for most people, 3. making nuanced arguments, 4. thinking of any religious belief as something other than talking snakes and stuff and 5. recognizing that a faith in pure human reason may also be niave and possibly dangerous.
I agree. I didn't have a lot of expectations for the movie, but I was pretty disappointed with the lack of substance. If I remember correctly, he just picked on the religious fringe and used them to paint a broader picture of religion.

Penn and Teller's episode of Bullsh**! was funnier, too.

Crazy Ivan
Sage

Post #16

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Euphrates wrote:I agree. I didn't have a lot of expectations for the movie, but I was pretty disappointed with the lack of substance. If I remember correctly, he just picked on the religious fringe
As I expected, which was why I didn't see it.
Euphrates wrote:and used them to paint a broader picture of religion.
I think the picture he wanted to paint was the one he painted. "Broader" isn't necessary considering the number of people that fit the "fringe" category.

Euphrates
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Euphrates »

Crazy Ivan wrote: I think the picture he wanted to paint was the one he painted. "Broader" isn't necessary considering the number of people that fit the "fringe" category.
You didn't see it.

Crazy Ivan
Sage

Post #18

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Euphrates wrote:
Crazy Ivan wrote: I think the picture he wanted to paint was the one he painted. "Broader" isn't necessary considering the number of people that fit the "fringe" category.
You didn't see it.
I'm assuming his stance doesn't differ much from "Real Time". I could be wrong, of course.

Euphrates
Scholar

Post #19

Post by Euphrates »

Crazy Ivan wrote:
Euphrates wrote:
You didn't see it.
I'm assuming his stance doesn't differ much from "Real Time". I could be wrong, of course.
You are commenting on the accuracy of a movie you didn't see.

Crazy Ivan
Sage

Post #20

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Euphrates wrote:
Crazy Ivan wrote:
Euphrates wrote:
You didn't see it.
You are commenting on the accuracy of a movie you didn't see.
No, I'm commenting on Maher, and what I know of him.