Politics and the teaching of creationism

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Politics and the teaching of creationism

Post #1

Post by otseng »

This thread is a continuation of Should Creationism be taught in classrooms? The purpose of this thread is to explore the intersection of politics and the teaching of creationism.

As a background, I argued the following:
otseng wrote: Here is another argument for teaching creationism in public schools. As tax funded organizations, I believe the public should have a say in what gets taught. After all, it is their money. According to Gallop polls, Americans support teaching creationism in schools by a substantial margin.
For debate:
Does teaching creationism in public schools violate the separation of church and state?
What are other political issues that are involved in the teaching of creationism in public schools?

przemeknowicki
Student

Re: Was the first origin of Life Guided or unguided?

Post #11

Post by przemeknowicki »

Karl wrote:
My own personal belief is that in the Universe, Life is an unfolding evolvement Guided by Universal Higher Power/Intelligence.

Very balanced philosophy. Thank you. I am glad that one can believe in the Creator (however it is understood) and yet understand that Creationism is not the subject to be taught in schools.

By the way, I also share your view that there is a lot of propaganda behind the teaching of evolution theory in schools. Is really the evolution theory that important in learning the scientific method? Is the evolution theory an outstanding example of scientific success? Is it possible to present the essential details/applications of the evolution theory to the school children?

Regards,

Thomas Orr

przemeknowicki
Student

Post #12

Post by przemeknowicki »

ST88 wrote: I don't necessarily believe that school is a place where culture is taught, but I recognize that this does happen whether we like it or not. If nothing else, it is an introduction to the social structure that will present itself later.
You have touched a very interesting subject. I think it is desirable to teach culture in schools. Critically if possible. We are all influenced by culture but we are also capable of reshaping the culture. The illuminated society should be both proud and critical of their culture.

I do not understand the culture in the "liberal" way. To me the culture is first of all the system of values and not merely folk tales, dancing, music and other forms of art. Culture is the soul of the nation, it is something capable of holding the nation together. If we were able to create one strong culture while preserving our religious and racial differences we would be indeed a strong nation.

Regards,

Thomas Orr

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by hannahjoy »

It is quite possible that evolution as understood and thought now will be proven false and replaced by something else. But what difference does it make? If the evolution theory falls it is not because of the work done by the creationists but because of the progress in science. It is not a matter of truth as you naively believe. Even if the evolution theory falls, the time spent in school studying it will not be lost. It will teach my child the method of exploring the world that science proved to be so successful. You proposal is nothing more that the desire to bring the discord into a harmoniously working house. Even Jesus warned against such practices.
You seem to have missed my point, and maybe I missed yours as well. It seemed to me from the ending of your first post that you objected to Creationism being taught to your children because you believe Creationism is false. I was pointing out that Creationists feel the same way about evolution being taught, and asking why your feelings/objections should take precedence over their feelings/objections.

Now it seems that you aren't concerned whether what your children are being taught is true or not, as long as it's taught and supported by experts. Is that it?
It is quite possible that evolution as understood and thought now will be proven false and replaced by something else. But what difference does it make? If the evolution theory falls it is not because of the work done by the creationists but because of the progress in science. It is not a matter of truth as you naively believe. Even if the evolution theory falls, the time spent in school studying it will not be lost. It will teach my child the method of exploring the world that science proved to be so successful. You proposal is nothing more that the desire to bring the discord into a harmoniously working house. Even Jesus warned against such practices.
So if, due to the progress of science, Creationism comes to be the accepted theory, would you object to its being taught? Or do you think that no theory should be taught in school, only scientific methods?
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by hannahjoy »

How far does this extend? If I feel mathematics or history or geography or English with its fruity poems and plays is the devil's subject, could I reasonably withdraw my child from the subject, even if it is compulsory? Could conscientiously objecting parents decide their children's curriculum's willy nilly? If I believed everything a school teaches is false, does that mean I don't need to educate my children?
Well, I don't know about Australia, but in many countries, homeschooling is an option. It worked for me - and I didn't have to spend countless hours sitting in class :bored: .
I do think parents should bear the primary responsibility for their childrens' education, though that may include turning them over to a trustworthy teacher.

Hannah Joy
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

przemeknowicki
Student

Post #15

Post by przemeknowicki »

hannahjoy wrote:
You seem to have missed my point, and maybe I missed yours as well. It seemed to me from the ending of your first post that you objected to Creationism being taught to your children because you believe Creationism is false. I was pointing out that Creationists feel the same way about evolution being taught, and asking why your feelings/objections should take precedence over their feelings/objections.

The evolution theory should be taught in schools, Creationism in the churches.

It is possible that science is a bad philosophy. But Creationism is a bad science.

Creationists have no business in interfering with the scientific curriculum and science has no business in interfering with the church's curriculum.

We are expected to honor and respect religious observances and feelings no matter how we feel about them. Similarly, I expect that the creationists respect what's the scientific territory, regardless of how they feel about it. By the way, I already expressed my opinion that those feelings on the part of the creationists are essentially the feelings of inferiority even if subconscious. Why seek a confrontation? It didn't work in the past and it is not going to work today. Besides, the conflict the Creationists are so touchy about is mostly imaginary. There is no real conflict between science and religion.

My response was intended to clarify one point. You accused me of double standards regarding how I feel about the education versus how the creationists feel about it. I was trying to explain that I hold both sides to the same standards: know your field of competency and stay there. One more important point. I didn't consider the issue which side knows the truth (or the Truth). I only consider the issue of competency.

Regards,

Thomas Orr

Corvus
Guru

Post #16

Post by Corvus »

hannahjoy wrote:
How far does this extend? If I feel mathematics or history or geography or English with its fruity poems and plays is the devil's subject, could I reasonably withdraw my child from the subject, even if it is compulsory? Could conscientiously objecting parents decide their children's curriculum's willy nilly? If I believed everything a school teaches is false, does that mean I don't need to educate my children?
Well, I don't know about Australia, but in many countries, homeschooling is an option. It worked for me - and I didn't have to spend countless hours sitting in class :bored: .
My understanding is that even homeschooling must conform to a basic curriculum, though I am not sure if a rudimentary understanding of science is a part of every curriculum. I believe otseng recently went through the trouble of learning about homeschooling so that he could teach his kids, so he would know more about it than me.

My point is that by allowing any conscientious objector to dictate their children's curriculum, we are undermining the foundations of knowledge and turning it into something that is relative, that one can just ignore if they don't agree with. I am trying to tiptoe carefully here, because I do not want to turn this into a C vs E debate.
I do think parents should bear the primary responsibility for their childrens' education, though that may include turning them over to a trustworthy teacher.
Certainly they are responsible for education, but never to the detriment of the children. Teaching that a well-established theory can be completely wrong because of the faith of a person is saying to all that everything is true and everything is false, and it all depends on the convictions of the person.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by ST88 »

przemeknowicki wrote:I think it is desirable to teach culture in schools. Critically if possible. We are all influenced by culture but we are also capable of reshaping the culture. The illuminated society should be both proud and critical of their culture.

I do not understand the culture in the "liberal" way. To me the culture is first of all the system of values and not merely folk tales, dancing, music and other forms of art. Culture is the soul of the nation, it is something capable of holding the nation together. If we were able to create one strong culture while preserving our religious and racial differences we would be indeed a strong nation.
Hmmm. "Create one strong culture"? I don't think that culture can be created, I think that a culture is just what happens when a bunch of people experience the same things and discuss it for many years. The U.S. is such a young country and the modern U.S. is very different from even the U.S. of a hundred years ago. "Culture" is not really something you can apply to America in the same way you can apply it to, say, Luxembourg or Finland or Thailand. This, I think, is a big problem with trying to teach culture in the schools. Which culture? Ivy League snobbery? Southern comfort food? Pacific Northwest ecotopia? I think the best we can to is teach civics and leave the introduction to culture to the families. Which is really where the development of personal beliefs and the maintenance of traditions belong.

I'm sure that a singular culture in the U.S. would make it much easier to govern, but wouldn't the concept of America be lost in the process?

Jose
Guru

Post #18

Post by Jose »

hannahjoy wrote:So if, due to the progress of science, Creationism comes to be the accepted theory, would you object to its being taught? Or do you think that no theory should be taught in school, only scientific methods?
Teaching only scientific methods without theory is like teaching only keyboarding without language. The methods are how data are accumulated. The purpose of getting the data is to analyze them and figure things out. The theories are the best-tested explanations. People often go through science classes thinking these are "facts."

If, in the progress of science, it became clear that Creation was superior to evolution, then it would be obvious that Creation should be taught. There is no particular reason to favor any particular theory in science, except insofar as it is the best theory, supported by the most evidence, consistent with all of the evidence, and not yet shown to be wrong. Evolution meets these criteria presently, but maybe in the future, additional data will come to light that indicate that Creation is more accurate. We don't know at this point--which is why we call evolution a theory.
przemeknowicki wrote:My response was intended to clarify one point. You accused me of double standards regarding how I feel about the education versus how the creationists feel about it. I was trying to explain that I hold both sides to the same standards: know your field of competency and stay there. One more important point. I didn't consider the issue which side knows the truth (or the Truth). I only consider the issue of competency.
But determining "competency" is tricky. There are creationists who suggest that scientists are not competent to speak about origins because they are biased and use inappropriate methods. One can also argue that creation is in the very field that evolution addresses, so we can't separate them into different disciplines. They have different criteria for being considered valid--revealed truth vs inference from evidence--but they address the same aspect of the world. I'm not sure I can separate them as you have suggested. Hence, I separate them on the basis of the logical thought processes used to arrive at inferences. Science begins with evidence and observation, develops explanations, then tests those explanations to the extent possible. Creation begins with biblical inerrancy, whether the evidence in the world matches or not.
Corvus wrote:My point is that by allowing any conscientious objector to dictate their children's curriculum, we are undermining the foundations of knowledge and turning it into something that is relative, that one can just ignore if they don't agree with. I am trying to tiptoe carefully here, because I do not want to turn this into a C vs E debate.
Tiptoe quite carefully, my friend, because you approach the eggshells. Recently, I read that Texas seeks to treat evolution and environmental science as "just a theory" and "controversial" and therefore "not yet settled." The idea, presumably, is to avoid having to face CO2 emissions standards, and pollution standards, in the face of global warming and environmental degradation. That is, continue business as usual (or even backtrack by throwing out regulations). We can think, perhaps, of global warming as the theory that some might want to throw out, and maybe get past the eggshells.

I would argue that, whether you agree with the conclusions about global warming or not, you need to present your kids with the evidence. You need to give them practice reasoning from data, so that they can come to their own conclusions, not only about global warming, but about things we haven't yet faced. Our obligation to our children, and to everyone's children, is to give them as much preparation as possible for the world they will have to live in. That means they have to be able to access information and sort it effectively, because there are vast amounts of information available. They need to be able to assess whether some report about something is valid, believable, or contradictory of established mechainsms. They need to be able to think for themselves, and not have politicians or snake-oil salesmen tell them what to think or do. To prepare them, we may have to face the prospect of discussing scientific or historical or sociological issues that we'd rather did not exist. But since they do exist, and since our children will live in a world containing these things, our children need to know about them.
Panza llena, corazon contento

przemeknowicki
Student

Post #19

Post by przemeknowicki »

ST88 wrote:
Hmmm. "Create one strong culture"? I don't think that culture can be created, I think that a culture is just what happens when a bunch of people experience the same things and discuss it for many years. The U.S. is such a young country and the modern U.S. is very different from even the U.S. of a hundred years ago. "Culture" is not really something you can apply to America in the same way you can apply it to, say, Luxembourg or Finland or Thailand. This, I think, is a big problem with trying to teach culture in the schools. Which culture? Ivy League snobbery? Southern comfort food? Pacific Northwest ecotopia? I think the best we can to is teach civics and leave the introduction to culture to the families. Which is really where the development of personal beliefs and the maintenance of traditions belong.

I'm sure that a singular culture in the U.S. would make it much easier to govern, but wouldn't the concept of America be lost in the process?

You are right by pointing out that the meaning of culture in America is somewhat different than it is in countries like Finland or Thailand. If we changed that would we really lose the concept of America?

I think that actually America has a singular culture even if you think otherwise. It is a populist culture rooted in the fact that the American government long time ago abdicated its core responsibilities in providing the spiritual leadership to the nation. The government doesn't have and doesn't aspire to have a vision or even opinion about the importance of arts to give an example. Congress is almost 100% preoccupied with the money issues, raising and spending the money for political influence. Everything else seems like an annoying burden. Actions are taken as reactions to political pressure from different interest groups. That's why the Ivy league snobbery and other examples from your post dominate the American landscape. The nature abhors vacuum and there you have local subcultures filling it in a seemingly random way. The worst in this trend is, in my opinion, that even the sponsorship of science is something that lawmakers would gladly get rid of. In no country I know the best scientists are preoccupied with grant proposals and other money issues to the extent they are in America.

Now, when you get to the issue of shaping the school curricula and the national educational policy you have the same picture. The local subcultures secured the monopoly and are not challenged by the presence of any coherent government policy. I think that some concerns of the religious communities who regard schools as dominated by "liberals" are justified. By the same token nobody can stop those religious communities from launching their own counterattacks.

So, building the national culture is possible but requires to get the government seriously engaged in arts, science, education, health services, public transportation and many other areas that other countries do naturally.

As far as teaching the culture in schools let me explain my position with examples. Get rid of the culture of idolizing school sport teams, stop teaching children to beg by engaging them in cookie sales and other money raising activities, instead of teaching "tolerance" introduce sound curricula in subjects like geography and civics (cover the subject of religious differences among various ethnic groups in this country).

You can have all this and still preserve the uniqueness of America as the melting pot where different nationalities, ethnic and racial groups, and different religious believes (including atheism) are welcome and respected.

Regards,

Thomas Orr

przemeknowicki
Student

Post #20

Post by przemeknowicki »

Jose wrote:
But determining "competency" is tricky. There are creationists who suggest that scientists are not competent to speak about origins because they are biased and use inappropriate methods. One can also argue that creation is in the very field that evolution addresses, so we can't separate them into different disciplines. They have different criteria for being considered valid--revealed truth vs inference from evidence--but they address the same aspect of the world. I'm not sure I can separate them as you have suggested. Hence, I separate them on the basis of the logical thought processes used to arrive at inferences. Science begins with evidence and observation, develops explanations, then tests those explanations to the extent possible. Creation begins with biblical inerrancy, whether the evidence in the world matches or not.

It is not tricky. The creationists can promote their point of view any way they want and it is ok as long as they don't pretend to represent science. They are not scientists and they are not competent in science.

It goes the other way, too. Many scientists resort to dishonesty when they fight the astrology, for instance. If an astronomer claims that he is competent to "debunk" astrology it is pathetic. But it happens.

Have you heard of Stephen Barrett and his "Quack Watch"? (http://www.quackwatch.org/) The guy who thinks that he can fight alternative medicine with lies, faulty logic, misrepresentation - all this while pretending to be a scientist who represents the "scientific opinion"?

Regards,

Thomas Orr