The World-View Pill

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

The World-View Pill

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

This is a variation on a "snap your fingers" question.

Assume that there exists a pill for changing someone's world-view. There is no back story as to how it was developed and there are no real-world strings attached. No extreme personality changes or sociological repercussions are a part of this question. Just a pill that changes people's outlook.

For Christians: If this pill could change someone's world-view so that they become, let's say, perfect Christians (whatever that might mean to you), would you push for it to be distributed to everyone in the world?

For Athiests and agnostics: If this pill could change someone's world-view so that they no longer believed in God (whatever that might mean to you), would you push for it to be distributed to everyone in the world?

FOR BOTH:
If not, would you try and stop it from happening if someone else undertook this? If yes, would you be willing to sacrifice the rest of your life in order to devote it to the logistics of making this happen?

I'd like to leave this open to deists and other world-views also. Where on the scale of ethics do you think this falls?

dangerdan
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by dangerdan »

Ok, putting aside personhood and dogmatism issues…I guess it boils down to exactly how much like me are they going to be?

Obviously I would wish some qualities be universally distributed, such as a disgust for war and real life violence, a joy for rational enquiry, basic compassion, etc, etc. But then as we clime up the tree to more specific opinions and qualities, I tend to differ.

On the other extreme of the spectrum - do I wish everyone to be a carbon copy of me? Heck no. What a boring place that would be. Learning would be slow and arduous and I’d rarely learn of any hypocritical opinions I may have, because I would be rarely challenged to present why I hold my opinions.

So the questions in between these two extremes are the interesting ones. Do I wish everyone had the same even-temperament as me? Not sure. Hot-heads are kind of funny and spice things up, as long at they aren’t hurting something.

I suppose it depends on where you would place “religious views” on this "Worldview-Specificness Spectrum. Hmmm. :-k

scorpia
Sage

Post #12

Post by scorpia »

For Christians: If this pill could change someone's world-view so that they become, let's say, perfect Christians (whatever that might mean to you), would you push for it to be distributed to everyone in the world?
:X No.

For one thing, I doubt it's something God would want, everyone thinking the same with no choice. He's all powerful. If he wanted everyone to think like that, he would have done it already with his own power. And despite some religions forcing their own belief, it's still wrong. And as seeing such, I'd expect atheists/ agnostics/ deists to know this ethic as well.

Not only that, but for the atheist pill; what if it turns out there is a God? It's all fair if you don't wish to believe in one individually. But forcing others to not believe in him? That would not be a good thing. It would be just as nice as forcing someone to take a pill to stop a person loving his/ her parent or friend or lover.

However, I might be tempted to take the Christian pill myself. But only tempted.........
If not, would you try and stop it from happening if someone else undertook this? If yes, would you be willing to sacrifice the rest of your life in order to devote it to the logistics of making this happen?
Yes, although hopefully it wouldn't be for the rest of my life.
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

bdbthinker
Student

Post #13

Post by bdbthinker »

Would I force people to take a pill that makes them NOT believe in god? No way! :shock:

As far as I know, we only have one life. Let people live it the way that makes them happy. ;)

DarkSaying
Student

Re: The World-View Pill

Post #14

Post by DarkSaying »

ST88 wrote:If not, would you try and stop it from happening if someone else undertook this? If yes, would you be willing to sacrifice the rest of your life in order to devote it to the logistics of making this happen?
No to distributing it and yes to attempting to stop it. No matter which side pushed "the pill", if it was distributed any notion of free will goes out the window.

aprilannies
Student

Post #15

Post by aprilannies »

What an interesting topic!

My responses may be disappointing however seeing as how they are more of the same... :)
For Athiests and agnostics: If this pill could change someone's world-view so that they no longer believed in God (whatever that might mean to you), would you push for it to be distributed to everyone in the world?

Absolutely not! After all, 'Religion is the opiate of the masses.' While I am perfectly capable of living a healthy moral life without the guidance of some higher power, I am convinced that many people are not. Some people simply need the fear of hell or the promise of salvation to function. This does not make them better or worse than me, just different.

I would try to prevent the spread of such a thing, in my opinion it would send the world into chaos. People grounded deeply in these religions convictions wake up one morning and suddenly know it isn't true, immediately, this is just asking for mass suicide and general trauma.

As far as temporary effects on altering worldviews I think that it could be a very cool thing, maybe a little like hallucinogenic drugs such as acid or mushrooms -- but much more intense. I think it would be neat to see what it was like to be a devout fundamentalist christian through and through, or a Hindu, or Muslim, etc, etc, etc, it might facilitate understanding and acceptance of one another. Or it might create a whole new avenue of drugs to cause problems for society... who knows? :)

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by hannahjoy »

If it were temporary, would you remember how you thought while under its influence - or remember while under its influence how you thought before?
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by ST88 »

hannahjoy wrote:If it were temporary, would you remember how you thought while under its influence - or remember while under its influence how you thought before?
For the purposes of this question, the effects are permanent. And it's possible that you would remember how you thought before, but you would just realize how silly it all was.

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by hannahjoy »

"Realize how silly it all was" - that would imply that it really is silly.
So, if a Christian became an atheist, he would really how silly Christianity is, and if an atheist became a Christian, he would realize how silly atheism is :confused2:?
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by ST88 »

hannahjoy wrote:"Realize how silly it all was" - that would imply that it really is silly.
So, if a Christian became an atheist, he would really how silly Christianity is, and if an atheist became a Christian, he would realize how silly atheism is :confused2:?
Naturally. That would be the effect of the pill. "Why did I ever think that way?" or "When I became an adult, I left childish things behind," etc.

Zarathustra
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Zarathustra »

Maybe they should make it a suppository so people will only take it in extreme situations? ;) :roll:

But, seriously, I'd do everything I could to prevent it from being legalized. If people really want to change their worldview forever, they can do it WITHOUT a pill.