John Kerry and Abortion

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

John Kerry and Abortion

Post #1

Post by Esoteric_Illuminati »

John Kerry is pro-choice, yet believes life begins at conception. Now this position just doesn't make sense to me personally.
John Kerry wrote:"I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I believe life does begin at conception."
Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 4Jul4.html

Kerry's Pro-Choice position:
http://www.issues2000.org/2004/John_Kerry_Abortion.htm
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/women/

Essentially Kerry argues that an unborn child's life ought not undermine a woman's right to privacy.

Now I don't believe any normal person in his right mind would be pro-choice IF they sincerely believed abortion was murder (or intentional killing of a human being if one wants to get into semantics).

If Kerry believes life begins at conception, consistant his Catholic beliefs, as he says he does, then he must certainly believe abortion immoral and an unjustified act of taking human life. So how can he be pro-choice and condone abortion?

My idea of Kerry's position on abortion is reduced to 2 conclusions:
1.) Kerry sincerely believes abortion is murder and an immoral act, yet condones it and fights for pro-choice anyways.
2.) Kerry does not believe abortion is murder/immoral, but says he believes it is.

The implication of #1 is that Kerry is a madman. One must be morally insane to sincerely believe that an unborn child is being killed, yet politically fight for and justify the killing of unborn children.

The implication of #2 is that Kerry is a liar. Perhaps he's just saying he believes life begins at conception to appease Catholic and pro-life voters?

Kerry's position on stem-cell research also seems to have these same troubling either/or implications. He is an advocate for advances in embryonic stem-cell research. And of course this kind of research ought to greatly trouble people who believe life begins at conception.

Is John Kerry putting politics over morality? Aren't politics supposed to be based on morality? I have heard John Kerry claim we need a leader with "strong values." Given his position on abortion and stem-cell research, are we supposed to believe Kerry is talking about himself?
-EI

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self confidence."
Robert Frost

science1
Student

Post #11

Post by science1 »

Morality depends on the individual. Not every person in the world or in America has the same idea of what is moral and what isn't. Morality isn't black and white. It is the brightest form of gray. We would never think of killing an animal in a sacrafice in America but people in Africa do it all the time. That doesn't make them cruel, it makes them different. One cannot speak for a whole group of people on marality because it differs between persons. Abortion causes us to examine questions whose answers are not definite. You may say a fetus is a life, but plenty of others say that it is not. I'm not trying to say that I'm for abortion, in fact i'm not. I'm trying to get you to see that this issue is not black and white.

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

Post #12

Post by Esoteric_Illuminati »

science1 wrote:Morality depends on the individual. Not every person in the world or in America has the same idea of what is moral and what isn't. Morality isn't black and white. It is the brightest form of gray. We would never think of killing an animal in a sacrafice in America but people in Africa do it all the time. That doesn't make them cruel, it makes them different. One cannot speak for a whole group of people on marality because it differs between persons. Abortion causes us to examine questions whose answers are not definite. You may say a fetus is a life, but plenty of others say that it is not. I'm not trying to say that I'm for abortion, in fact i'm not. I'm trying to get you to see that this issue is not black and white.
I really don't wish to get into an objective vs. subjective morality debate on this particular thread. You're more than welcome to create a new thread on that topic which I'd be more than happy to participate in (since I do believe you're wrong). Until then, I'll leave it at "we'll have to agree to disagree." :)

Corvus
Guru

Post #13

Post by Corvus »

Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:
Corvus wrote:How does the analogy fall apart? The 14th amendment isn't doctrine, and has nothing to do with whether a man can lose their sanctity of life or not. Nor does it explain how a judge has been granted the authority to remove the sanctity from another man's life. Law and morality are separate, though they often come to an agreement. Law is the mutually beneficial agreement people give to each other when they live in a society. Morality is the perspective of a person or persons. Kerry's actions undermine the vehemence of his belief, not the belief itself.
The 14th Amendment (cf 5th Amendment) establishes when it is justified to violate fundamental human rights, including the right to life.

...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. ...
Since you yourself are opposed the death penalty and euthanasia, you understand that because something is legal does mean it cannot be immoral.

Take note of the second part of the quote. It seems to me that Kerry believes a woman's womb is outside of the jurisdiction of the federal government, and I believe this is quite right. The contents of a persons body are under the complete jurisdiction of its owner (up until the person takes illicit substances, which are illicit for the reason that they alter behaviour that cause harm to the greater society). To say otherwise sets a dangerous precedent. If the government could force a woman to bring a child to full term against the woman's will, then it could just as easily force you to relinquish an organ in order to save the life of a citizen you care nothing about. I have strong objections to this sort of authority.

Also, in one the links you very kindly provided, Kerry explains how the ramifications of denying a woman the services of a doctor if she wishes to abort will...

....take us back to the days of back alleys, gag doctors.., etc.

The only option for women in such circumstances are to obey the law, or simply, upon discovering they are pregnant, concoct some home-made abortifacient, drink alcohol, fall on their stomach or use a coat hanger. I'd much rather they do it safely, with the help of medical professionals.

He seems far from being a madman to me.
Furthermore, law and morality are NOT separate. The law is predicated on morality, namely the moral theory stated in the DoI. When the law violates morality, it becomes unjust. You need look no further than the timeless words of Martin Luther King Jr. for in-depth arguments on this. That and the Nuremburg trials. You misdefine morality anyways. There is a difference between morals and mores. I for one reject the notion that morality is subjective. I believe there is only one way we OUGHT to live (most philosophers call it the "good life"). However, the way we DO live is indeed subjective, but I don't call that "morality."
I do not misdefine morality. Your own source states morality is "A system of ideas of right and wrong conduct". Since the idea is a judgement of something, one can call it a perspective. Mores are something very different.

It is important to understand you are referring to one specific type of law: Criminal law. Civil law is something quite different which deals with matters of business, trade, credit, insurance, and even bus tickets. Bus tickets do not need to be "predicated", and neither does any other law. Criminal law deals with people who have broken the social contract by committing a crime. A crime is not just committed against an individual, but also against the entire state (or society). Not only are things like murder and theft covered by criminal law, which, coincidentally, are considered immoral things, but also the act of "yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre". A rule that, I am certain, is a foremost in any person's system of ethics. ;) Many of these cannot be predicated on anything by any stretch of imagination. Neither is it necessary.

Recently we have seen that any law that is not "values neutral" has been abandoned. Suicide is no longer a crime, and antiquated laws against sodomy have been expunged.

<i>The Guinness Encyclopedia:

Crimes and the State.
The notion that the criminal law always enforces morality is a mistaken one. While the criminal law can be used to enforce the Ten Commandments, for example, it can also be used to bolster the most repressive regimes, such as Nazi Germany. For the society that has made the law, crimes are wrongs committed not just against an individual victim, but against society as a whole. Thus prosecutions are almost always brought by the state and only rarely by individual citizens.
</i>

A foetus is not a member of society. Its death is also of no consequence to anyone but the parents.

Concerning your "blank page" analogy, think about the fact that the DNA contained within the unborn child possess the traits that are in the process of being written. From the point of conception a blueprint, not blank page, exists.
The unborn child does not have any experience of the world. The blank page has nothing to do with inherited advantages. The blank page has been bleached, cut, and ruled up with lines and margins. But no one has yet written on it, which is why nothing is lost, and if this page is used for the purposes of adding another page to a work-in-progress (stem cell research), then I am all for it. Since this has to do with my own belief of what gives value to a human life, I will end this note here, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with this particular topic.
In America, I am given to understand that it is perfectly legal for parents or next of kin to terminate the life of a person if they are living only through the support of machinery. Perhaps Kerry trusts the consciences of mothers to know what is right or wrong, and hesitates to term the people who go through something as drastic as an abortion as "murderers", as you just come shy of doing.
I'm against euthanasia too while we're at it, unless the person had previously specified to an attorney that he does not wish to live under such conditions. I don't think the SCOTUS or John Kerry should fight to undermine fundamental human rights by giving people the benefit of the doubt, or by trying to mitigate the law to compromise with emotional appeals.
The term "murder" I think is accurate. If you intentionally end the life of an innocent human being, that's murder. It may not "legal" murder, but murder nevertheless.
If murder is legal it is not murder. Murder is defined as "an unlawful killing". Any attempt to mischaracterise it as such is, I believe, entirely emotional. Abortion is, as I understand it, legal at the present moment, so cannot be termed "murder". You obviously disagree with the decision that made it legal, but there are three of us (correct me if I am wrong, gentlemen) who do, and disagree with your assessment that a foetus, zygote, or whatever you want to call it is entitled to rights before it has developed into something recognisably human. I would not treat an egg with the same courtesy as I would treat a chicken.

I do not believe we are arguing from emotion.

I reject the notion that this is entitled to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".
Last edited by Corvus on Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Post #14

Post by otseng »

I would suggest discussing arguments about abortion itself in the Abortion thread.

There are some interesting arguments presented in this thread on that topic, and having them discussed in the Abortion thread I think would be more apropos.

proverbial student
Student

Re: John Kerry and Abortion

Post #15

Post by proverbial student »

Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:John Kerry is pro-choice, yet believes life begins at conception. Now this position just doesn't make sense to me personally.
:confused2: Me either, but he is trying to obtain the feminist vote, as well as others. It brings to mind a certain Scripture verse:

Paying Taxes to Caesar

Mark 12:
13Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Jesus to catch him in his words.
14They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?
15Should we pay or shouldn't we?"
16But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. "Why are you trying to trap me?" he asked. "Bring me a denarius and let me look at it." They brought the coin, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"
"Caesar's," they replied.
17Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's."
And they were amazed at him.

Clearly there exist atheists who do not believe in God, but for purposes of argument in the category of those who do believe in God, God gave us the Ten Commandments, one being "Thou shalt not kill". It has been said that "kill" in the translation from either Greek or Hebrew actually meant "murder" as opposed to possibly in self defense. If taken in this context murder belongs to God not the politics at hand, therefore it is up to God to take a life not the political arena. Some atheists may disagree, as I am sure there are some atheists who are pro-life despite their non-belief in God. But those who are pro-choice, surely you agree that it is against the law to murder.

I am sure that Senator Kerry is against murder, so it all comes down to the fact that he is clearly a hypocrite in his judgement here, for as a Catholic, he should know the teachings of the Church. Do Catholics have abortions? Yes. Is it against the teachings of the Catholic Church? Yes. Should this be in the political arena? I suppose this question is heatedly debated in the Abortion thread.

Jose
Guru

Post #16

Post by Jose »

proverbial student wrote: he is clearly a hypocrite in his judgement here
I disagree entirely. I pretty much feel as he does, and there's nothing hypocritical about me. ;) Of course, you'll say, "eeewww. Moral relativism!" But there's no way I'm going to ignore the mother or the potential hell that the child might have to live in. To me, it seems hypocritical to claim to be Moral, yet do things that are clearly destined to harm large numbers of people--and to do them because these things get more rich folks to vote for you and more rich companies to donate money to your campaign. At worst, abortion hurts one person who will never know about it, while these other things hurt thousands who will know about it.

Kerry is at least using logic and thought in making his decisions. The other guy just says "it's right because I said so"--and then hides his nasty decisions behind deceptive names, fuzzy logic, or very quiet unnanounced decisions when everyone is looking at some important news item.

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #17

Post by TQWcS »

But there's no way I'm going to ignore the mother or the potential hell that the child might have to live in.
So by your logic you should murder the unborn child because it has the potential to live in a bad environment? Well, by that same logic shouldn't you let it live because of the potential good it could do for the world?

Jose
Guru

Post #18

Post by Jose »

Your logic is impeccable. One can argue both ways. That's what makes it such a sticky issue.

That's also why I don't want anyone but the mother making the decision. I'd hope she'd decide in favor of bringing the child to term, but she knows more about her situation than I do. I think it's wrong for me to force a decision upon her, and by extrapolation, I think it's wrong for any of us to force a decision upon her.

proverbial student
Student

Post #19

Post by proverbial student »

Jose wrote: At worst, abortion hurts one person who will never know about it, while these other things hurt thousands who will know about it.
It hurts another person too...the mother. Have you ever had a baby? Do you know how heart rending it is to have to make that decision? There are many young girls who decide NOT to have an abortion and give the child up for adoption and later change their mind and keep it. How many women would change their minds about abortion if they allowed the fetus to grow and be born? I think it hurts many more people than just the fetus.

Secondly, is John Kerry sincerely speaking for his female constituency or just trying to score points with the feminists and liberal minded women? Who is getting these abortions? Most of them are probably young, unmarried women who are scared and don't have the courage to take responsibility for their actions. You have sex, chances are eventually you will get pregnant. So, is Senator Kerry dumbing down our already degrading social morality?

Now as to rich corporate donations, do you know to whom Senator Kerry is married? The Heinz ketchup family...talk about money to candidates. He is as big business as Bush and don't think he got where he is without taking money himself...I suppose we'll find out later where his loyalties are if he becomes elected. Most men and women in power have gotten there because of money. I'd bet you'd be shocked at the amount of money that Senator Kerry has raised in order to defeat President Bush, and some of it may be coming from special interest groups, such as NOW. NOW supports Kerry, so look at their qualifications concerning PAC money.. www.nowpacs.org/2002/criteria.html

Corvus
Guru

Post #20

Post by Corvus »

proverbial student wrote:
Jose wrote: At worst, abortion hurts one person who will never know about it, while these other things hurt thousands who will know about it.
It hurts another person too...the mother. Have you ever had a baby? Do you know how heart rending it is to have to make that decision? There are many young girls who decide NOT to have an abortion and give the child up for adoption and later change their mind and keep it. How many women would change their minds about abortion if they allowed the fetus to grow and be born? I think it hurts many more people than just the fetus.
Since this is not the proper place for it, I have addressed this point in the thread on Abortion.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.