WHAT WAS THE REQUIREMENT FOR CHRIST TO BE DECLARED THE SON OF GOD?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

WHAT WAS THE REQUIREMENT FOR CHRIST TO BE DECLARED THE SON OF GOD?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

The Bible tells us that Christ was declared to be the Son of God after completing one specific task, after raising from the dead.

Romans 1:4 (KJV 1900)
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by (meaning THROUGH) the resurrection from the dead:

This passage is extremely interesting because we notice that Christ was declared to be the Son of God even from his conception as recorded in the gospels.

Luke 1:35 (KJV 1900)
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Mark 9:7 (KJV 1900)
And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Over and over, we see many passages that declare Christ to be the Son of God, but the problem is that if we look to the cross as the only time Christ died and rose again, the he had not yet died nor rose again, yet here he is, being declared to be the Son of God before his death and resurrection. But this is not a problem is we can see that Christ died and rose again from the foundation of the world to pay for sins. Now, at any time throughout the course of the history of the world, Christ could be rightfully declared to be the son of God before the cross of 33 A.D. and we still have perfect harmony with the scriptures.

For those who disagree that Christ died and rose again from the foundation of the world, then the discussion for the O.P. is, can you show from the scriptures how could Christ be declared to be the Son of God, by the resurrection from the dead, if he hadn't died nor rose again till 33 A.D. and yet was indeed declared to be the Son of God throughout his earthly ministry?

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Re: WHAT WAS THE REQUIREMENT FOR CHRIST TO BE DECLARED THE SON OF GOD?

Post #11

Post by Eddie Ramos »

1213 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:30 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 pm ...
Hebrews 9:22 (KJV 1900)
And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
I think that is misunderstood and doesn't mean God can't forgive without blood.
Well, that would be an incorrect understanding on your part because death (blood shed) is the payment for sin required by the law of God. (Rom 6:23). You do realize that the altar of sacrifice was basically a daily slaughter house, don’t you. And the sole purpose of all that bloodshed and death was only to paint a picture of atonement because none of those sacrifices could ever actually forgive sins.

Hebrews 10:11 (KJV)
11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

This is the very reason Christ came, to demonstrate how he shed his blood (died) for sins from the foundation of the world.

Matthew 26:28 (KJV)
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Eddie Ramos »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:41 am [Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #1]

A SON OF GOD

A son of God is one of Gods creations that reflects His [God's] higher qualities. Romans 1:4 refers to a "spirit begotten" born again son of God is a Christian that had been called to heavenly life after they die.

ROMANS 1:4 NWT

but who with power was declared God’s Son according to the spirit of holiness by means of resurrection from the dead—yes, Jesus Christ our Lord
JW

Not sure where you got your definition for what a son of God is, but that’s not correct. Jesus Christ is called the only-begotten son of God. The question is, what was the requirement for Christ to be declared to be the Son of God? The answer is, he had to raise from the dead first.

Romans 1:3-4 (KJV)
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead
:

The word translated as “by” is commonly also translated as “through”, meaning that Christ was declared to be the Son of God through the resurrection from the dead. He rose from the dead first, then was declared to be the Son of God. This is the same principle that God has established for each one he has chosen to save. They had to be risen from the dead (spiritually - in their dead souls) in order to be called sons of God. But Romans 1:4 and this thread is specifically addressing Christ.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Eddie Ramos »

Revelations won wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:37 pm To Eddie Ramos,

Jesus the Christ is called the "Son of God" simply because he was not only the "first born of all the spirit children of God, but also because he was the only "Begotten son of God in the Flesh.

In other words Elohim or God the Father Is the literal Father of Jesus Christ in the Flesh.

Putting it with a different view: Jesus Christ is the only Legitimate son of God the Father in the flesh.

I also clearly understand that this is in direct opposition to the erroneous and false accusation by the apostate Jews that he was a "bastard child". Their false claim is not based on prophetic revelation from God, but simply a man made accusation and has no evidence and basis in truth. It should also be so noted that their alleged accusation is in direct contradiction and violation of the law as given to Moses.

Kind regards,
RW
I never read in the Bible where the Jews accused Jesus of being a bastard child. I realize that you didn’t say it was written in the Bible, so I’m not sure that non-biblical sources have any relevance here.

There is no question, nor debate, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, whether in Spirit or in the flesh. The question is, by what means did he obtain that name of “the Son of God”. And Romans 1:4 provides for us the answer. It was by (meaning, through) the resurrection from the dead. Are we agreed on this point?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:58 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:41 am [Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #1]

A SON OF GOD

A son of God is one of Gods creations that reflects His [God's] higher qualities. Romans 1:4 refers to a "spirit begotten" born again son of God is a Christian that had been called to heavenly life after they die.

but who with power was declared God’s Son according to the spirit of holiness by means of resurrection from the dead—yes, Jesus Christ our Lord

JW
Not sure where you got your definition for what a son of God is
How can you not be sure, isn't the scripture that I got it from in the post?

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:58 am . The question is, what was the requirement for Christ to be declared to be the Son of God? The answer is, he had to raise from the dead first.
Was the man Adam not called "son of God" in the bible? When was he resurrected from the dead?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Eddie Ramos »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:24 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:58 am

A SON OF GOD

JW
Not sure where you got your definition for what a son of God is
How can you not be sure, isn't the scripture that I got it from in the post?

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:58 am . The question is, what was the requirement for Christ to be declared to be the Son of God? The answer is, he had to raise from the dead first.
Was the man Adam not called "son of God" in the bible? When was he resurrected from the dead?

JW
I did see your posted scripture, but the definition you derived from it is completely foreign to what the text is teaching. Unfortunately, as your proof, you chose to use the term “son of God, and apply it to Adam who was created in the image of God. But Adam is never called a son of God.

And before you post Luke 3:38, please check your interlinear so you can see that the word “son” only appears once in this entire genealogy, that’s in verse 23. Verse 38 says that Adam was of God, and that’s true because Adam was created by God.

Romans 1:4 is specifically speaking of Jesus Christ who was declared to be the Son of God by accomplishing something first, and that was resurrecting from the dead.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:44 pm
I did see your posted scripture ...
Yes I did. Thank you for recognising that. Jesus was a spirit anointed son of God (Mark 1:11). Adam was a created son of God (Gen 2:7; Luke 3:38 ). The angels are spirit sons of God (Genesis 6:2-4; Job 1:6). The Israelites we a national son of God (Ex 4:22, 23), Solomon was a royal son of God (Compare Ps 89:19-27; 2Sa 7:14 ) Born again Christians are adopted sons of God (Gal 1: 6, 7)

Only Jesus can be considered "the only begotten" son of God

JW

FURTHER READING : Who is Jesus Christ?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005681

RELATED POSTS

In what sense is Jesus "The last Adam:?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 50#p959850

Is Jesus the YHWH of the "old testament"?
viewtopic.php?p=872828#p872828

Is Jesus the only one called "son of God" in the bible? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1122981#p1122981

Why is Jesus called the "only-begotten" son of God?
viewtopic.php?p=1090278#p1090278

Why is Jesus called the "only-begotten" son of God? (Tigger)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 51#p786451

Is JESUS MICHAEL the archangel?
viewtopic.php?p=780486#p780486

What are various titles applied to Jesus?
viewtopic.php?p=1015344#p1015344

Why do many English Translations have LORD in Captials in many verses?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 21#p872821

Is Jesus the YHWH of the "old testament"?
viewtopic.php?p=872828#p872828
To learn more please go to other posts related to

JESUS , HIS TITLES and ...MESSIANIC PROPHECY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed May 31, 2023 7:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Eddie Ramos »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:00 pm
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:44 pm
I did see your posted scripture ...
Yes I did. Thank you for recognising that. Jesus was a spirit anointed son of God (Mark 1:11). Adam was a created son of God (Gen 2:7; Luke 3:38 ). The angels are spirit sons of God (Genesis 6:2-4; Job 1:6). The Israelites we a national son of God (Ex 4:22, 23), Solomon was a royal son of God (Compare Ps 89:19-27; 2Sa 7:14 ) Born again Christians are adopted sons of God (Gal 1: 6, 7)

Only Jesus can be considered "the only begotten" son of God

JW
You ignored my recommendation to first check Luke 3:38 in the original text before claiming that the word “son” is used of Adam in relation to God. He was a created being, not a son. I would offer correction on the angels as well, but that would take us off topic. The question, which you still have not answered is, what was the requirement for Jesus to be declared to be the Son of God? Was it not resurrecting from the dead? Rom 1:4.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:06 pm You ignored my recommendation to first check Luke 3:38

No I did check it thanks. You ignored the scripture I listed namely Mark 1:11, Genesis 2:7; Luke 3:38 , Genesis 6:2-4; Job 1:6, Exodus 4:22, 23, Psalm 89:19-27; 2Sa 7:14 and Gal 1: 6, 7 .... or did you check them?

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:38 am
1213 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:30 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 pm ...
Hebrews 9:22 (KJV 1900)
And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
I think that is misunderstood and doesn't mean God can't forgive without blood.
Well, that would be an incorrect understanding on your part because death (blood shed) is the payment for sin required by the law of God. (Rom 6:23). You do realize that the altar of sacrifice was basically a daily slaughter house, don’t you. And the sole purpose of all that bloodshed and death was only to paint a picture of atonement because none of those sacrifices could ever actually forgive sins.

Hebrews 10:11 (KJV)
11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

This is the very reason Christ came, to demonstrate how he shed his blood (died) for sins from the foundation of the world.

Matthew 26:28 (KJV)
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins
Sorry, I still think you are wrong. The blood of the covenant is the wine. And that there was sacrifices is not the same as that the blood is required for God to forgive.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Eddie Ramos »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:01 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:06 pm You ignored my recommendation to first check Luke 3:38

No I did check it thanks. You ignored the scripture I listed namely Mark 1:11, Genesis 2:7; Luke 3:38 , Genesis 6:2-4; Job 1:6, Exodus 4:22, 23, Psalm 89:19-27; 2Sa 7:14 and Gal 1: 6, 7 .... or did you check them?
I was hoping for more integrity on your part. Are we here to find truth or just to be right? I don't mind continuing this discussion, but not like this.