Drinking

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Angry McFurious
Student

Drinking

Post #1

Post by Angry McFurious »

Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Illyricum »

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with drinking alcoholic beverages (even Jesus drank wine). If one can drink it responsibly , then have at it. But I believe that when one over does it, and gets drunk, that when it's wrong. And if you can't drink responsibly, then I say stay away from it!
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #12

Post by Angry McFurious »

Illyricum wrote:I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with drinking alcoholic beverages (even Jesus drank wine). If one can drink it responsibly , then have at it. But I believe that when one over does it, and gets drunk, that when it's wrong. And if you can't drink responsibly, then I say stay away from it!
Thats what I'm getting at. *cheers* :drunk:
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Drinking

Post #13

Post by ST88 »

Angry McFurious wrote:Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D
I think that prohibitions on drinking have more to do with individual denominational doctrine than with actual Bible scholarship. Mormons, for example, are not allowed to drink, smoke (use tobacco), or imbibe coffee and tea. As far as I can tell, there is no specific Biblical or written Mormon reference that guides this part of their beliefs, and they have changed over time.

Methodists are also not allowed to drink, but not as a result of direct word from God. At some point in the past, from what I gather, they decided to show other people that it was possible to have a life without alcohol.

Of course, Muslims are strictly forbidden from using any alcohol. There's a section in one of the Muslim holy books in which Allah curses all ten forms of winemaking:
"the wine-presser, the one who has it pressed, the one who drinks it, the one who conveys it, the one to whom it is conveyed, the one who serves it, the one who sells it, the one who benefits from the price paid for it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought."
However, halal laws do allow small amounts of alcohol in cooking as long as the alcohol is undetectable, such as vanilla extract in desserts. But I believe there is still some debate about this, and some food products, like soy sauce (which is fermented), have non-alcohol equivalents.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Re: Drinking

Post #14

Post by Piper Plexed »

ST88 wrote:
Angry McFurious wrote:Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D
I think that prohibitions on drinking have more to do with individual denominational doctrine than with actual Bible scholarship. Mormons, for example, are not allowed to drink, smoke (use tobacco), or imbibe coffee and tea. As far as I can tell, there is no specific Biblical or written Mormon reference that guides this part of their beliefs, and they have changed over time.

Methodists are also not allowed to drink, but not as a result of direct word from God. At some point in the past, from what I gather, they decided to show other people that it was possible to have a life without alcohol.

Of course, Muslims are strictly forbidden from using any alcohol. There's a section in one of the Muslim holy books in which Allah curses all ten forms of winemaking:
"the wine-presser, the one who has it pressed, the one who drinks it, the one who conveys it, the one to whom it is conveyed, the one who serves it, the one who sells it, the one who benefits from the price paid for it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought."
However, halal laws do allow small amounts of alcohol in cooking as long as the alcohol is undetectable, such as vanilla extract in desserts. But I believe there is still some debate about this, and some food products, like soy sauce (which is fermented), have non-alcohol equivalents.
So us Episcopals are the Party Animals then! Woo Hoo, I picked the right faith, as she takes a sip of her "Mikes Hard Lemonade". A month ago we installed our new Vicar in our Church and after the Ceremony, the Bishop Enters the Parish Hall Blesses the meal of course and heads right to the wine table and promptly gets Served a Nice big Goblet of wine, let the festivities begin! :lalala: :pelvic_thrust2: :pelvic_thrust2: :lalala:

Yes I believe ST88 is correct, alcohol consumption seems to be a denominational nuance.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #15

Post by nikolayevich »

Angry McFurious wrote:though I have read the entire new testament your preaching it to a jew. Your points to me are not valid. I'm simply understanding this christian point of view.
Yeah, it would seem weird to have something change from the Tanakh to the New Testament in that way, speaking of alcohol. I would argue that God's standard of holiness has remained the same.

In Genesis 14, Melchizedek brought bread and wine, to bless Abram.

Wine of course is also mentioned in other passages relating to sinful activity. I think it's pretty clear there's an intended use.

Actually, I think in some ways the church has missed out on some of the great BIBLICAL feasts which involve wine. It's one area of faith I think Jews have really tried to preserve.

Squall
Student

Post #16

Post by Squall »

Why don't I drink booze? The same reason I dont eat cheeseburgers, I like not having a gut.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #17

Post by Dilettante »

So us Episcopals are the Party Animals then!
Sorry, but here I think Catholicism wins hands down. Benedictine, Chartreuse, Franziskaner Beer, there is a long list of Catholic drinks. Not only have Catholics always been allowed to drink wine, but also (until recently) it was a requirement for communion! Remeber that, according to catholic doctrine, wine is the blood of Christ!
Finally (a patriotic note on my part) why do you think wine is grown in California? Because the Spanish Franciscan monks who built the missions needed it for the Eucharist. They were the ones who introduced vines and winemaking into the New World.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by BeHereNow »

One of my Anabaptist (young adult) Sunday school classes was firmly convinced that Jesus never drank fermented wine, only grape juice. Not a drop, was the only moderation they would accept.

perplexed101
Sage

Post #19

Post by perplexed101 »

One thing to note is the fact that when Jesus changed the water into wine the guests thought, who had began drinking it, that the host was saving the best wine for last.

Whether or not this has any signifigance it would seem to state: the wine before was different somehow, would it be that it was fresh squeezed wine? or more potent wine?

either way they drank all of the other wine before drinking the (from)water into wine as well.

perplexed101
Sage

Post #20

Post by perplexed101 »

what's the point to this question anyway?

im not stating that you should become obsessed with drinking for but why make a big deal especially if a person is about to die and is in pain.

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.