Christian fundamentalism can be very abusive!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Christian fundamentalism can be very abusive!

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

I have no problem with moderate, non Biblical literalist Christians like my own three daughters, who don't force their faith on anyone. My problem is with those who seek to convert others by threatening them with the tortures of hell if they don't get 'saved'.

Religion of that nature spoilt my childhood, we attended a pentecostal church where the hell-fire sermons were a feature Sunday after Sunday. They used to give me nightmares as a kid. Scaring children and the vulnerable in this way is very abusive and can be damaging. It should be treated like any other abuse, especially as there is no evidence whatsoever to support Biblical literalism.

Quite a number of the oh so holy on Sunday 'saved' Christians of my childhood were not good or decent people. The pastor of our church touched me inappropriately when I was 14. One on the elder's business dealings were less than honest. Quite a number cheated on their spouses. I can only think they used their faith as an insurance policy believing once they were 'saved' they were always 'saved' no mater what they did thereafter! :shock:

samscilley
Student

Post #11

Post by samscilley »

Hi Bust Nak,

What is the difference between a practicing doctor and a non practicing doctor? A practicing doctor makes an effort to learn his skill and work at it regularly. A non practicing doctor may just be in name only not actually performing medical treatment or only doing it when the need arrises.

Say I have a problem saying swear words. I am trying to not say swear words because it can be very offensive to other people and the Bible says: Ephesians 4:29 "Let no unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth". I am making a daily habit to try and stop saying unwholesome works. I am working and I hit my finger with a hammer. I curse. Did I break the commandment? Yes. Do I practice it. No.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #12

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 10 by samscilley]

Right, so the difference between a Christian and a Christian in name only, is a difference in degree, on a scale with true Christian on one end and fake Christian on another, with most people being somewhere in the middle depending on how often one slips up?

A side note, please bear in mind that to actually call a person out as not a Christian when they identify as one is against the forum rules.

samscilley
Student

Post #13

Post by samscilley »

Hi Bust Nak,

Once again you should know I have never claimed anyone group is not a Christian but to define why they think they are Christians. No rules broken.

The difference is are you trying to put to death what the Bible calls the deeds of the flesh. Romans 8:12-14,

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #14

Post by Bust Nak »

samscilley wrote: The difference is are you trying to put to death what the Bible calls the deeds of the flesh. Romans 8:12-14,
I have no idea how that helps seperate Christians who slips up and practioners of sin.

samscilley
Student

Post #15

Post by samscilley »

Hi Bust Nak,

Everyone who is not named Jesus Christ slips up. Before Christianity came into existence people in the Old Testament slipped up constantly and although they could not become perfect because Jesus had not died to take away sin they still had faith in God to save them from eternal death. David had a man killed so he could cover up his sin of adultery. According to the Law of Moses he should have died. but because he was repentant of his sins, God spared his life. David still had to pay a price of loosing his kingdom for a time to his son who also slept with his concubines in broad day light in so all the people knew it. After David sinned did he keep sleeping with other mens wives and having the man killed? No and because he changed his action to not do that again.

Some things are harder to overcome such as telling lies. Some things are habits. If a person is making a conscious effort to quit telling lies but still does it from habit sometimes, then he is not practicing telling lies.

The best way to break a habit like that is to do deeds of repentance to break the habit. If you find that you lied and to someone. Shouldn't you go to that person and confess what you did and seek forgiveness from them? Very hard for someone to do and also is very humbling. If you do that will you keep telling lies? Not for long I would think.

There was a man named Zachaeus who climbed a sycamore tree. He showed his repentance from the dishonest practices of tax gathering at that time by promising to give half of all he had to the poor and repaying anyone who he had swindled four times the amount he took. Jesus was satisfied with his response. Do you think Zachaeus kept stealing peoples money if every time he repented he would pay back four times the amount? If he did he would have died a very poor man.

To repent of your sins is not easy and takes a humble heart to do. It is not enough to confess only. You must repent and show you are repentant by doing deeds appropriate to repentance.

Christians are saved by grace thru faith. (Ephesians 2:8-10) Faith requires works. (James 2:14-26) No faith then no grace. These are the terms that that the New Testament lays out to have grace.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 14 by samscilley]
David had a man killed so he could cover up his sin of adultery.
So in your eyes, a man sleeping with a woman not his wife, is a sin, and also killing so as to cover up the adultery itself, that is a sin too. Ok, I'm with you so far...
but because he was repentant of his sins, God spared his life. David still had to pay a price of loosing his kingdom for a time to his son who also slept with his concubines in broad day light in so all the people knew it.
Now here is where you lose me, where the logic breaks down. If I'm reading this Old Testament story with the thought in mind that God is the King, he's in charge, whatever he says goes, Might Makes Right...then such a ruling makes sense. It wouldn't be out of character for him to say "Because you sinned David, I'm going to have another man rape your concubines".

However, the Christian God, the supposedly loving, caring, compassionate God? If I have that God in mind...how does that punishment then make sense? Imagine you have women in your life, whether casual sexual partners or your mother, sisters, daughters, cousins. Imagine that you sin, that you cheat on your spouse, that you commit murder. Where is the love in the punishment of having your female loved ones raped by another man?
Oh and just in case you disagree that this is rape - think about what you said, and what the Bible says. You framed this as a punishment - Because David did Bad Thing X, thus God is punishing him with Bad Thing Y.
2 Samuel 12 has
"'Because of what you have done, I, the LORD, will cause your own household to rebel against you. I will give your wives to another man, and he will go to bed with them in public view. You did it secretly, but I will do this to you openly in the sight of all Israel.'" Then David confessed to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD."
The only way for such a punishment to happen is for God to command the man (Absalom) to rape the women, i.e. for him to force himself upon them, without their consent. That...or God mind controls the women or commands them to sleep with Absalom.
What if the women, even just one of them, remained loyal to David in a romantic sense? Should the punishment have still stood? Should she still have to sleep with or be raped by Absalom, merely so as to punish David? Why should she suffer for another man's sin?

The point I'm making is that the sin you initially condemn has, as its punishment, an even greater sin being conducted against third parties.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #17

Post by Divine Insight »

samscilley wrote: To repent of your sins is not easy and takes a humble heart to do. It is not enough to confess only. You must repent and show you are repentant by doing deeds appropriate to repentance.

Christians are saved by grace thru faith. (Ephesians 2:8-10) Faith requires works. (James 2:14-26) No faith then no grace. These are the terms that that the New Testament lays out to have grace.
I view these kinds of apologies as contradictory as the contradictions they are attempting to apologize for.

If humans have to repent their sins in order to be "saved", then they are earning their own salvation.

Therefore to claim that Christians are being saved by grace thru faith is a contraction. They are being saved in this case because of their own works. There would be no need for any grace at all.

Moreover, what would "faith" in mean in this context? What do they need to have "faith" that Jesus really will keep his promise of giving them the reward of eternal life, if and only if, they earn it via their own works of repentance?

Clearly this theology is self-contradictory. There would be no need to have Jesus brutally crucified and butchered on a cross if people are going to need to earn their own repentance.

Moreover, anyone who needs to believe in a God, or a promise of a gift of eternal life in order to work toward repentance would already be an immoral insincere person.

Compare such a person with an atheist who strives to be a good person simply because it's what they truly desire to be in what they believe to be a secular world.

How can you not see the fallacy of this religion?

If a person's sincere desire is to be a good person, no one can possibly display that desire better than an atheist.

If an atheist is striving to be the best they can be, that speaks volumes of their true character.

On the other hand if a theist who has "faith" that they will be saved from damnation if they strive to be good, that doesn't say anything at all about their character. In fact, many of them actually argue that if they didn't think there was a God they wouldn't see any reason to even be good. :roll:

And ironically that gives away their true character immediately.

The very minute they suggest that in a godless world morality would be meaningless, they have given themselves away as being basically a person who see no intrinsic value in moral behavior.

So why are they striving to repent? :-k

I can't only be to avoid damnation or earn a reward of eternal life. It certainly can't be because they see any value in being moral. They wouldn't need to believe in a God for that.

If anything is crystal clear it's that Christianity has nothing to do with morality.

In fact, Christianity proclaims that Jesus could forgive even the most horrible sinner, if all they do is ask Jesus for forgiveness with a sincere heart.

In other words, Christianity is actually all about tossing morality out the window entirely and instead it's solely about proclaiming Jesus to be the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, etc.

Nothing short of that will do.

All good atheists will be condemned to hell for simply not acknowledging and supporting the Christian dogma. It really doesn't even any anything to do with any imaginary Jesus or Yahweh. They are just the idols that must be worshiped and praised in this religion. Failure to worship and praise these idols results in condemnation by the religious authorities themselves. No Gods required.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

samscilley
Student

Post #18

Post by samscilley »

Hi Divine Insight,

I can defiantly see your points of why you think all Christians are hypocrites and liars. I don't know a person who has never lied. I don't know a person who has never done something hypocritical in there life. I rarely find anyone that truly practices what the Bible teaches.

Some people are naturally nice people and don't want to do anyone harm. I have known many people like that who are not religious.

If God did not make the world and the Law and the laws of nature. If we are not made in his image, and if the Bible is not His Word but made up in the mind of man, then we have no basis for what is right and what is wrong. You or I could not say what is right or wrong. The only person who could would be the most powerful people in power today.

During ancient Roman times Emperors attempted to do this very thing. They would declare themselves supreme beings. They could order anyone to be killed. They could do anything they wanted or so they thought. If you learn the history of all men who try to become a god you will find they don't live very long.

If the world had no God then there is no right and no wrong. Anything is allowed and all you have is murder and chaos.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 17 by samscilley]
If God did not make the world and the Law and the laws of nature. If we are not made in his image, and if the Bible is not His Word but made up in the mind of man, then we have no basis for what is right and what is wrong.
Seems to me that this is the perfect descriptor for what happened with the Judaeo-Christian religions.
The character called God gives laws to the Hebrews (or so they claim), things that are right, things that are wrong...and then along comes this fellow Jesus Christ who apparently has new teachings as to what is right, what is wrong.
You or I could not say what is right or wrong.
Yes we could. I can say that X is right, Y is wrong. There's nothing stopping me from saying it.
The only person who could would be the most powerful people in power today.

During ancient Roman times Emperors attempted to do this very thing. They would declare themselves supreme beings. They could order anyone to be killed. They could do anything they wanted or so they thought.
Reread this latest part of your post. Re-read it several times.

This is a criticism from you of how bad things would be if not for a God. We'd have one person, the most powerful person, saying what is right and what is wrong...and you apparently don't like that.
We'd have this leader declaring them self the supreme being...and you apparently don't like that.
This leader, who calls himself the supreme being, could order anyone to be killed...and you don't like that.
This leader could do anything they wanted...and you don't like that.

Okay? With me so far?
Here's my question in response to that.
How is the above NOT also a criticism of the situation with the Judaeo-Christian God?
That character is called King, Lord, God. He is declared the most powerful being, declares himself supreme above all others. He declares what is right, and what is wrong. He orders and can order anyone to be killed. He can do anything he wants...why, apparently he can flood the entire planet, kill millions!
If the world had no God then there is no right and no wrong. Anything is allowed and all you have is murder and chaos.
I have no God, I don't believe there are any gods...and yet I don't murder or cause chaos.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #20

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 16 by Divine Insight]
Clearly this theology is self-contradictory. There would be no need to have Jesus brutally crucified and butchered on a cross if people are going to need to earn their own repentance.
Exactly. This was one of the things I opined on when I first joined this forum.
The teaching/command is to believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who died on the cross for our sins, and then rose from death three days later to sit at the right hand of God.
However, if one thinks about that for a moment...there is no requirement that the belief in question be true, be accurate, be something that actually happened in reality.
Just that one believe it.