Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

melikio
Guru

CCM and Other Music

Post #1

Post by melikio »

http://www.av1611.org/crock.html#M%20English

It has always amazed me just how HARD LINE some Christians are about anything; but while I was surfing the web today looking for other info, I stumbled across the link above.

Sometimes, I think American Christians are wrapped too narrowly in their focus upon things. And to me, nothing else shows it better, than what some Christians have to say about "MUSIC".

What does anyone think about some of the views on music at the website linked above?

Are we Christians lopsided in their view/s of music and entertainment in general?

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

Udanor
Student

Post #11

Post by Udanor »

But I can say that music is as important to me. It is my escape. I can be in the worst mood imaginable, having a day where Alan has gone into one of his autistic spasms for hours, had a horrible chemo treatment, come home listen to music for an hour or so and the world is all ok again.
what kind of music do you listen to in that situation?

when you are in a bad mood, do you listen to "sad or depressing" music...
or do you listen to "glad happy" music to make you feel better?

this may seem like a silly question, but it's interesting to know...

When I'm depressed or in a bad mood I don't pray about it right away...

I usually turn the volume on high on my stereo, and listen to something like "smells like teen spirit" (nirvana) or "stairway to heaven" (led zeppelin)
kinda "depressing sad" songs....

A lot of depressed people (by the way) listen to "stairway to heaven" while committing suicide... (hmm... I better not listen to that song to much :eyebrow: )

Udanor
Student

Post #12

Post by Udanor »

:-({|= :whistle: :dance:
One love, one heart
Lets get together and feel alright
One love, hear my plea, one heart
Give thanks and praise to the lord, and I will feel alright

/ Bob Marley

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by k-nug »

Holy moly, they are attacking jars of clay. Wow. what a tract. Whoever wrote that is living in a hole. They obviously never got around to Circle of Dust, Killswitch Engage or Norma Jean, because their heads would have exploded had they listened to those 'Christian' bands. (they missed a juicy target with circle of dust, who has left the Christian music scene and according to his lyrics, Christianity itself.)
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

seventil
Scholar

Post #14

Post by seventil »

I wouldn't trust one word written on that site. If you want a good example of how not to look at things objectively and how to make sure your mind is narrow as possible, that link is a good starting place.

Most of the stuff there is actually humorous to the point of absurdity: Michael W. Smith being a Satantist because "LOOK" is spelled backwards on one of his CD's? Sure, I'm following this logic in the weird world of crazy-land.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

seventil
Scholar

Post #15

Post by seventil »

Man that site is full of gems! I can't stop laughing at some. Then I realize people believe this crap. Then I cry.
On Carman's "The Standard" album is the sacrilegious (at least!) "Who's in the House", in which Carman crudely, refers to the Lord Jesus Christ as "J.C.":
Just warming up here!
Carman's Resurrection Rap video is some of the lowest BLASPHEMY I've ever seen! In the video, Carman portrays the Lord Jesus Christ as a confused street hippie, while the pharisees and apostles are black street gang members! The crucifixion takes place, not on Calvary — but in a back alley gang fight! The Lord Jesus Christ is buried in a GARBAGE DUMPSTER. And naturally Carman includes the occult (Carman's videos are soaked in occult imagery!) as satanic tarot cards tell the Calvary story!

Carman's PERVERTED humor is the lowest BLASPHEMY I've ever heard!
While I haven't seen the video, and it doesn't seem good (as in probably B movie style) -- perverted humor blasphemy? Interesting.

And now it gets good.
Here's a clip from Nine Inch Nails video "Closer"!
dc Talk openly admits to watching this kind of blasphemy!

You'll never guess the song dc Talk uses toward the close of their "Jesus Freak" concert? Amazing Grace? Blessed Assurance? OH NO! They do a cover of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's "All Apologies"!
GASP! A band has watched a NIN video AND did a Nirvana COVER? BURN THEM ALL BURN THEM!

I've seen plenty of videos, plus I play some Green Day, Jack Johnson, Oasis and all sorts of "secular" music on my guitar at home. Guess I'll join dc talk in the barrel to hell here.
Jars of Clay, not ONLY "listens" to satanic Ozzy Osbourne, but they're so "INFLUENCED" by satanic Ozzy (THIS IS HARD TO BELIEVE!) — JARS OF CLAY SING "CRAZY TRAIN" BY "SATANIC" OZZY OSBOURNE DURING THEIR "CHRISTIAN" CONCERTS!
Perhaps if someone with half a clue about music, its roots and what it's actually about (without spouting religious and political views) actually did these "reviews", they might be a bit better.

That page formatting makes my 1992 Geocities page look professional.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

Udanor
Student

Post #16

Post by Udanor »

what site is that?
One love, one heart
Lets get together and feel alright
One love, hear my plea, one heart
Give thanks and praise to the lord, and I will feel alright

/ Bob Marley

Udanor
Student

Post #17

Post by Udanor »

oh! sry.. now I see

The Project Hate
Student

Re: CCM and Other Music

Post #18

Post by The Project Hate »

Biker wrote:[My advice, if you want to rock,ROCK, if you want to jazz, JAZZ, etc.
Can I Black Metal, too ? :-k

Chimp
Scholar

Post #19

Post by Chimp »

It does seem ironic that at one point most music (and art for that matter) had
some connection to the church. Before you pounce on me ... most western
music.

Now no one wants to listen to most of it (vapid trash) mostly because finding
something worthwhile takes a lot of sifting.

I think Bach made up the whole glory of God thing to get access to a church with
awesome acoustics...I could be wrong ;)

AB

Post #20

Post by AB »

Udanor wrote:I think that christian magazines and sites have to much to say about "Good or Bad" music..... I listen to what ever music I like..... a lot of people dont understand music the way I do..... They think it's a sin to listen to music like (stair way to heaven)..... (I put a thread in with that topic)

I tried listening to some christian music... but most of it "stinks" #-o ...
Check out "Newsboys".