Why a separate set of rules for sex?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Box Whatbox
Apprentice

Why a separate set of rules for sex?

Post #1

Post by Box Whatbox »

Sexual behaviour seems to attract excessive attention in Abrahamic scriptures. Why is that?
There exist already, in Abrahamic as in other faiths and social customs, sets of rules and agreements concerning how we should behave toward each other, in general.
What is so special about sex?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by bjs »

Sexual behavior is not given excessive attention in the Abrahamic scriptures. The Abrahamic scriptures do talk about sexual ethics, but for the most part there is no greater focus on this topic than any other area of ethics.

We live a sex-obsessed culture. Many non-theists, including several who post on this forum, openly proclaim that there is no such thing as sexual ethics between consenting adults. Because of this any kind of sexual ethics is often viewed as excessive. However, the Jewish and Christian scriptures treat sex as a part of life that, like almost everything, has an ethical aspect to it. Nothing more and nothing less.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #12

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 11 by bjs]

There are 24 forbidden sexual relations alone, compared to the 7 commandments on crime. I would say the bible is a we bit excessive about sex. The only thing sex obsessed about our culture is those that want to foist their religious ideologies about sex into others. Everyone else is simply asking them to mind their own business.

Yes beyond coercion and rape laws stipulating that I have to sacrifice a pair of doves if I have sex with my wife while she is on her period seems excessive and obsessed. It seems to me there are bigger fish to fry besides women's menstration cycles...

sf

Post #13

Post by sf »

DanieltheDragon wrote:Yes beyond coercion and rape laws stipulating that I have to sacrifice a pair of doves if I have sex with my wife while she is on her period seems excessive and obsessed. It seems to me there are bigger fish to fry besides women's menstration cycles...
Some of the rules for moral reasons and others for health reasons. Punishments like sacrificing animals was for God to forgive the person for disobeying a rule.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #14

[Replying to sfisher]

How is having sex while your wife is menstrating immoral or unhealthy?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by bjs »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 11 by bjs]

There are 24 forbidden sexual relations alone, compared to the 7 commandments on crime.
This is an interesting statement. Can you show that it is true?
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

bluethread
Savant

Post #16

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to sfisher]

I hear that during menstruation the cervix is open and therefore the uterus is at greater risk of infection. Why is it immoral? According to HaTorah it is an issue of blood. It is just that this issue of blood is more predictable then say a bloody stool or a bloody seminal emission.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Why a separate set of rules for sex?

Post #17

Post by ttruscott »

Box Whatbox wrote:

What is so special about sex?
The heavenly state is characterized as a marriage between GOD and HIS Church. Marriage on earth is supposed to be a symbol of that heavenly marriage. Sexual union is the symbol for the unity in the heavenly bond created by the marriage of GOD and HIS holy Church, the telepathic bond of full communion of love and communication between everyone in the heavenly state, including GOD, for all eternity, throughout all of created reality.

Therefore inappropriate sexual union defiles the symbol, denigrates the heavenly marriage as meaningless or worthless and scorning the GOD who wants to marry HIS Church.

The sex act is all about union - the joining of two into one, symbolic of the Trinity. Inappropriate sex therefore is a union with the non-godly demonic enemies of GOD. Since the sex drive is so strong, (more symbolism about the compelling nature of our idolatry and addiction to evil once we are sinners), the rules around it are strengthened to give HIS people, not the pagans, some firm direction about heaven.

And so too are the laws against rape an indication that any who join in the heavenly marriage will have done so by their free will; rape is not allowed in heaven or on earth. Those who did not want to marry HIM were also free to reject HIS proposal if they cared to ignore the warnings of the natural consequences of doing so.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #18

bluethread wrote:

I hear that during menstruation the cervix is open and therefore the uterus is at greater risk of infection. Why is it immoral? According to HaTorah it is an issue of blood. It is just that this issue of blood is more predictable then say a bloody stool or a bloody seminal emission.
I reckon you don't take biological advice from heresay. The cervix closes typically during menstration. It is an issue of blood, your right and that stuff won't bother you one iota. Been sleeping with my wife on nearly every menstration cycle without a condom and guess what everything is honky dory no need for animal sacrifice required.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #19

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 11 by bjs]

There are 24 forbidden sexual relations alone, compared to the 7 commandments on crime. I would say the bible is a we bit excessive about sex. The only thing sex obsessed about our culture is those that want to foist their religious ideologies about sex into others. Everyone else is simply asking them to mind their own business.

Yes beyond coercion and rape laws stipulating that I have to sacrifice a pair of doves if I have sex with my wife while she is on her period seems excessive and obsessed. It seems to me there are bigger fish to fry besides women's menstration cycles...
Is that a sex law or a bodily discharge law? If you will notice, in the same chapter(Lev. 15), a man with a bodily discharge has to do the same thing. How one chooses to organize the various laws can often bias one's interpretation of those laws.

bluethread
Savant

Post #20

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
bluethread wrote:

I reckon you don't take biological advice from heresay. The cervix closes typically during menstration. It is an issue of blood, your right and that stuff won't bother you one iota. Been sleeping with my wife on nearly every menstration cycle without a condom and guess what everything is honky dory no need for animal sacrifice required.
The sacrifice has nothing to do with health. It has to do with fitness for going to the Temple, which does not exist at this point. Regarding the health situation, it does not effect me, since I refrain. That is why I just presented it as hearsay, that I got from women, subject to correction. Thank you for the correction.