Why are 'they' here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Why are 'they' here?

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

Apropos of the other discussion (Why are we here?) - this has been on my mind.

Since the inception of this forum (or the year+ I have been involved) there have been a number of what I would describe as 'hard-line' christians who have dropped by. In recent times Bill55AZ, greenlight, sender, kens91765 and unicorn would be examples. My observation is that many that do come, spout their beliefs, often resort to ad hominems then leave after they are challenged. I also know from experience that many then go back to their 'christian' fora and relate how they "gave it" to the unbelievers.

I note (with a chuckle) that I am on the 'ignore list' of two - Bill55AZ and kens91765

So why do they come? To proseletyze? To have their beliefs 'stroked'? To reinforce their views of the 'godless' and those they consider not to be 'true christians'?

The title of this forum is 'Debating..." So why do they come when debating (which implies a willingness to be challenged and ultimately learn) is the furtherest thing from their mind?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Tim the Skeptic »

bernee51,

Maybe you should change your question to "Why is 'he' here?" It seems like the Christian participation in this forum has been monopolized by one person.

And his rants are really getting tired.

However, reading just one of his posts has made me reconsider the concept of eternity.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by bernee51 »

Tim the Skeptic wrote:bernee51,

Maybe you should change your question to "Why is 'he' here?" It seems like the Christian participation in this forum has been monopolized by one person.

And his rants are really getting tired.

However, reading just one of his posts has made me reconsider the concept of eternity.
I understand you feelings. I think this is the only soapbox he can be heard on - so he tends to use it a lot. He does have a very narrow perspective, very sad really.

As fo eternity...an eternity with the likes of him would seem longer.

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by Tim the Skeptic »

As fo eternity...an eternity with the likes of him would seem longer.
Omigod, I now believe in HELL.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Cathar1950 »

My favorite is when some one comes in and claims victory with out a debate and owns some one. I have noticed that the A/A's tend to be more civil as a whole. But I have seem some good Christian minds they tend to be a little more open. I come because I like debates and I do learn a lot of new things. The science areas have been really fun. I invited my brother to the forum just because I thought he would enjoy it. Some "bible believers" just irritate me. Some no matter what is said just preach something, quote a verse, and claim victory. Some are almost funny. My favorite is to watch two Christians argue over some doctrine.
Or when some ones just says against any argument "that is not Christian".

atheist_infidel0304
Student

Post #15

Post by atheist_infidel0304 »

My favorite is when some one comes in and claims victory with out a debate and owns some one.
I've only been here a short time, but it appears as if you guys are the ones who "own." The ACLU thread is a great example of that. I keep re-reading threads and really........no one else but atheists make the last three or four posts on a given thread. What more could I possibly add when the other side has given up? :roll: :lol: I start two threads and you guys are hardly "owned" Heck, even if for sale, no one is coming to claim it. :whistle: :lol: Slow times or has everything been hashed out?

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Cephus »

The really annoying, in-your-face Christians, the ones preaching hellfire and damnation against anyone who doesn't follow their narrow views, are thankfully not all that common. They just make up for it in stupidity and hot air.

Anyone notice that all the people who have been put on probation, at least according to the Probation Forum, have been Christians? Go figure.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Cathar1950 »

It seems that Christians already claim victory, so for them it is just a formality to put you unbelievers in your place as you await hell.
Of course I am being sarcastic.
Anyone notice that all the people who have been put on probation, at least according to the Probation Forum, have been Christians? Go figure.
It does seem that way Cephus but it really represents a small group of Christians in this forum. I have found many compassionate thoughtful Christians here, even if some consider them heretics.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Cephus »

Cathar1950 wrote:It does seem that way Cephus but it really represents a small group of Christians in this forum. I have found many compassionate thoughtful Christians here, even if some consider them heretics.
That may be true, and there are some decent, intelligent Christians about, but when you realize that 100% of the banned individuals are fundamentalist Christians and atheists make up 0%, I think that says something.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Cathar1950 »

I guess they are not Mennonites or Quakers.
There are some that bomb clinics and shoot people.
But it is interesting.

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #20

Post by OccamsRazor »

Just going back to the "Why is 'he' here" question. It does seem that a certain individual is overrunning threads with rants which invariably are bent to the same topic of homosexuality.

Is there any way of preventing certain discussions from degenerating in this way?