The reason behind good deeds

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Corvus
Guru

The reason behind good deeds

Post #1

Post by Corvus »

For what reason do we do good deeds? What are the motives behind them?
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Corvus
Guru

Post #11

Post by Corvus »

Persona wrote:
Corvus wrote:
i actually think that i behave morally because i care about other people.

But that doesn't explain why you behave morally to those particular people. I say "those particular people" because I have great doubts you would give the shirt off your back to a homeless man begging for change. Likely you care about some people because a) you like them b)you were born into a community in which their opinion of you could actually matter. Likely you do good by them because it makes you feel good. Instances of self-sacrifice for others, in which the pain far outweighs the pleasure received, are rare indeed.
i've given money to charity without telling anyone. the charity was for children in africa. i really missed that money. whatever good feeling i felt is certainly not worth $500 (in fact, whenever i think about it i tend to think about what else i could have done with the money.) is it really so hard to believe that people can care about (and make sacrifices for) people they have never met?
I didn't say it was impossible, just exceedingly rare. The fact that I need reassurance on this matter speaks for itself. I do not know the thoughts that were running through your mind at the moment, or your wage, so it is impossible for me to judge whether the deed was really a sacrifice.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

seventil
Scholar

Post #12

Post by seventil »

Interesting responses to a deceptively simple question.

While myself, at age 26, haven't had a life of "good deeds" persay (and I am in the US Military currently, and also in Iraq,which is debatable as a self-sacrifice) - I believe the things that I've learned through God have humbled me to a point where self-sacrifice and "good-deeds" are inherent to my nature.

I also harbor a pleasure for chivalristic philosophy, (i.e; rescuing a princess in need) but that is probably due to reading Lord of the Rings and King Arthur books too much as a kid. :eyebrow:

tcay584
Student

Post #13

Post by tcay584 »

So that others may see God in me, and give him glory.

Vianne
Student

Re: The reason behind good deeds

Post #14

Post by Vianne »

Corvus wrote:For what reason do we do good deeds? What are the motives behind them?
Because it helps society. When I'm kind or friendly to someone, I see that it helps them, and I like the feeling I get knowing I've blessed that person. If I do it without them knowing it, I get the sneaky excitement of playing a prank, but with positive results instead of humiliating ones. ;)

When I do something cruel or selfish, I see the pain I've created, and I don't like it. I know I've caused hurt, and that's not a good feeling. That hurt creates more hurt as that person spreads around their misery ... next thing you know, you've created a monster. :(

Why do people need such elaborate rules to tell them kindness is good, cruelty is not? :-k

Vianne