HBO and the Bill Maher Show

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AlAyeti
Guru

HBO and the Bill Maher Show

Post #1

Post by AlAyeti »

How does this show and its "star" find legal grounds to attack Christ, Christians and Christianity? Isn't there federal laws protecting against discrimination and the fomenting of hatred of religious beliefs?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by bernee51 »

AlAyeti wrote:
Replace "religious" with Christians, and "myth" with fact, and we have finally come to 100% agreement.
An unlikely scenario given the evidence that all religions are based on myth, and like it or not christianity is just another religion.

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by foshizzle »

An unlikely scenario given the evidence that all religions are based on myth, and like it or not christianity is just another religion.
]

Would you please stop with the redundant rhetoric? The topic is not whether or not Christianity is another religion, or whether or not Christianity is based on myth. I'm quite sure that everyone that's read your posts understands what you think of Christianity. Unfortunately, in this thread, your opinions of Christianity are moot.

I've only checked one transcript as of yet, and it does briefly mention Christianity, but it's my experience that he's more focused on the constant bashing of the Bush Administration. (He also brought up the Koran being flushed down the toilet in Guantanamo Bay, which turned out to be false. Pity the news doesn't seem to care about reliability as much as viewing-numbers).

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #13

Post by AlAyeti »

My point is, that if Maher were to denigrate any other religious or cultural or ethnic belief he would be hammered into court.

Christians seem to be forced to accept any denigration from anyone at anytime.

HBO will not show the disgusting side and people of the sexual lifestyle that garners AIDS without thought of consequence, but will go out of its way to show Christians who promote sensible laws, in a bad light.

If I were to write HBO a letter stating my offense that its programming denigrates me, they would laugh me off and say "Don't watch the show. We have the first amendment." But they don't have the first amendment to insult Blacks, Illegal aliens, homosexuals, Muslims, Hindus, Native American Indians, Jewish people, etc., etc., but sling away at Christians (even individuals) and somehow the laws of dicrimination don't exist.

I would think that "secular freethinkers" that preach tolerance and "diversity" would be alarmed at the intolerance of HBO towards a free cultural and its adherents.

It does seem that Christians are surrounded 360% by attacks well tolerated against them by those existing in that outer circle.

While always that circle telling Christians to be silent "because of" discrimination laws. The laws they deny to Christians.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #14

Post by AlAyeti »

Bernee,

Christianty "became" a religion. But, has no start as one from the mouth of Jesus.

"Christian" was a term of derision, an epithet, given to the Jewish and some gentile followers of Jesus (Yeshua) as the Messiah. They were first called Christians in Antioch.

Catholicism is the religion that all of the Christian Churches have come from. Many believers to this day follow Jesus and not a set of rules laid down in a building or institution known as a "church."

Jesus did not start "Christianity." The Greeks and Romans did. No wonder that problems followed.

It's a "fact."

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #15

Post by ENIGMA »

AlAyeti wrote:My point is, that if Maher were to denigrate any other religious or cultural or ethnic belief he would be hammered into court.
Bull. Chappelle Show and South Park are two counterexamples that come to mind at the moment, each of which denegrate many different ethnic groups and cultures.

Honestly, how many different groups haven't been denigrated by South Park?
Christians seem to be forced to accept any denigration from anyone at anytime.
If you mean that you are not allowed to shoot the people who insult you, then yes. I don't get that luxury either.
HBO will not show the disgusting side and people of the sexual lifestyle that garners AIDS without thought of consequence, but will go out of its way to show Christians who promote sensible laws, in a bad light.
That's what PAX, TBN, and all the other 700 Club networks are for. It is well within their right to pursure their line of programming just as it is within HBO's right to pursue its line of programming.

Don't blame us because Christian TV leaves much to be desired.
If I were to write HBO a letter stating my offense that its programming denigrates me, they would laugh me off and say "Don't watch the show. We have the first amendment."
As would PAX if I sent them a letter telling them to drop the 700 Club.
But they don't have the first amendment to insult Blacks, Illegal aliens, homosexuals, Muslims, Hindus, Native American Indians, Jewish people, etc., etc.
I, ENIGMA, am hereby willing to wager you any amount of money you specify, that I can find within 24 hours a South Park episode that makes fun of at least 4 out of the 7 mentioned groups above.

In other words, BS.
, but sling away at Christians (even individuals) and somehow the laws of dicrimination don't exist.
Does not follow.
I would think that "secular freethinkers" that preach tolerance and "diversity" would be alarmed at the intolerance of HBO towards a free cultural and its adherents.
Everyone has First Amendmant protection. Even Christians.
It does seem that Christians are surrounded 360% by attacks well tolerated against them by those existing in that outer circle.
I must inquire how Maher being accused of Treason by a Congressman plays into your particular conspiracy theory.
While always that circle telling Christians to be silent "because of" discrimination laws. The laws they deny to Christians.
There's a difference between being silenced and not getting to use the government's megaphone.

I don't get to use the government's megaphone either.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Lycan
Student

Post #16

Post by Lycan »

Curious,

If you don't like the "anti-christian" programming on HBO, why do you pay for HBO?
Lycan :mrgreen:

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #17

Post by AlAyeti »

Why do atheists and homosexuals watch CBN and the 700 Club?

I have not seen many South Park episodes and have never watched Chapelle. He's the guy who cracked up isn't he? I viewed South Park one where Jesus was walking with Joseph Smith and I turned it. That kind of religious ignorance has got ot be harmless. South Park doesn't bother me, as it doesn't want to silence anyone. Maher does.

I have cancelled HBO several times, but my wife has the same rights as I do and she wants the programming so it is back. HBO is not always anti-Christian. Just Bill Maher and many other shows. But not all.

CBN and The 700 Club are never anti-anything. They are pro-Christian. Non-violoent, pro-Christian. They offer choice and ask others to come in.

A far cry from Maher.

Nyril
Scholar

Post #18

Post by Nyril »

Why do atheists and homosexuals watch CBN and the 700 Club?
Mainly for amusement.
CBN and The 700 Club are never anti-anything. They are pro-Christian. Non-violoent, pro-Christian. They offer choice and ask others to come in.
Incorrect. They are anti-stem cell research. They are anti-democrat. They are anti-abortion. They are anti-homosexuals.

These principles may be pro-Christian, but nobody fails to be anti-something.
"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air...we need believing people."
[Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933]

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Cathar1950 »

I mostly watch CBN and The 700 Club for fun.
I tell the kids it is to see what the nuts are up to so they don't think I am wasting my time. I think bill maher is funny and makes some great point using satire. I wish I could afford HBO but I wouldn't get it for just bill.
I love the Simpson. Now they make fun of everyone and everything and especially Christians. There may be a few writers that are Christian because no matter how much fun they make of religion mostly Christianity and how stupid they act they make them look pretty good as humans. They have the ability to laugh at themselves and that is sain and healthy.
But the CBN and The 700 Club act all scarey, paranoid, all God and country, Republican(religious right type), bias, misinformed, liers, thieves, charlatans, and should be taxed. And I think I am a Christian of sorts well background, upbringing, and culture. I have an affinity to Anabaptist,
Cathars and Quakers at least the liberal side of their fence.
I am not calling Christians names. I am just trying to describe how my belly responds to religious tv. I like "Mysteries of the Bible" and some others on the history channel, discovery, PBS and the learning channel.
Now I am going to "what is a Christian" maybe I can discover a label for me.

Chimp
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Chimp »

AlAyeti wrote:HBO will not show the disgusting side and people of the sexual lifestyle that garners AIDS without thought of consequence, but will go out of its way to show Christians who promote sensible laws, in a bad light
Wrong. They have many unflatering documentaries on prostitution, aids
and drug use.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/catalog/