Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Signature rule has been added

Post #1

Post by otseng »

A new rule has been added.

14. Signatures which are deemed to be uncivil, insulting, or inflammatory are subject to arbitrary removal by the administrators (or moderators). Repeated infractions can result in disciplinary action.
Last edited by otseng on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Signature rule has been added

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

SacredCowBurgers wrote: I am not thin skinned like some of the atheists who when they start losing a debate have to find something to complain about like a signature or a Bible verse irrelevant to the OP of the debate, so I would not care what you put in your sig. If its obnoxious, it clarifies a bit more of who or what you are about.
That is my own point of view as well. Your sig says more about you than it says about who you think you are insulting with it.

However, there is a rule about being civil and avoiding insults on this site. Some Christians felt that quoting an insulting text in their sig was one way of side-stepping that rule. Subsequently, some non-Christians, in an attempt to make a point, quoted non-Christian sources which insulted Christians, pointing out that if it is allowed for one side, it should be allowed for the other. Ultimately, it was decided that insults in the signature would not be allowed.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Cathar1950 »

SacredCowBurgers wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
SacredCowBurgers wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
SacredCowBurgers wrote: Pr 14:1: The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."

Ps 53:1: The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God,"

whats the ruling?
The fact that the source of the insult can be found in a Holy text of some religion does not grant anyone immunity from the rules. Saying that unbelievers are fools in your signature will probably be deemed to be insulting.
Too bad. But at least I know the site has sold out to political correctness as opposed to debating the real Biblical text. Thanks.
Do you think it wold be fine if atheist wrote such things such as all Christians are fools?
The passage has nothing to do with the real Biblical text.
I am not thin skinned like some of the atheists who when they start losing a debate have to find something to complain about like a signature or a Bible verse irrelevant to the OP of the debate, so I would not care what you put in your sig. If its obnoxious, it clarifies a bit more of who or what you are about.
They are making an appeal to authority and it is a slam, besides I don't see that many atheists losing the debate which is why the passage is being quoted.
It says more about the inability to defend some concepts of God and use of their Bible then it does about the nature of the complainer. Sounds like you are blaming the intended victim.
All it really does is quote some passage from an unknown author and their opinion.
I would think it is more likely the fool says they understand God and know the ways of God as only God could understand God.

Your name might insult those that see cows as sacred.
Maybe you would not mind someone saying such things about Jesus.

Post #13

Post by Guest »

Which, BTW, my sig is not coming up. Am I being disciplined but havent been informed about it? Or is it just broken??

Post #14

Post by Guest »

SacredCowBurgers wrote:Which, BTW, my sig is not coming up. Am I being disciplined but havent been informed about it? Or is it just broken??
Which, BTW, my sig is not coming up. Am I being disciplined but havent been informed about it? Or is it just broken??

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

Go here and select attach signature.

Post #16

Post by Guest »

otseng wrote:Go here and select attach signature.
OK, thanks. Never saw that before:-)

Evointrinsic
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by Evointrinsic »

Are we allowed to have a signatures banner in place of text if it abides by the rules and is of reasonable size (500x100-150)

otseng
Savant

Post #18

Post by otseng »

Evointrinsic wrote:Are we allowed to have a signatures banner in place of text if it abides by the rules and is of reasonable size (500x100-150)
Sure, I don't see why not.

Evointrinsic
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by Evointrinsic »

Fantastic! Perhaps I'll open a topic dedicated to producing them for people as well.

Mr. LongView

Post #20

Post by Mr. LongView »

McCulloch wrote:
SacredCowBurgers wrote: Pr 14:1: The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."

Ps 53:1: The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God,"

whats the ruling?
The fact that the source of the insult can be found in a Holy text of some religion does not grant anyone immunity from the rules. Saying that unbelievers are fools in your signature will probably be deemed to be insulting.
This seems odd to me. Are uncivil bible verses not up to debate or display?

Seems like it would limit the non-believers bag of tricks?