Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Application for a Nobel Prize?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Where do I apply for a Nobel Prize?

I just discovered a proof of why no eternal intelligent God can exist.

The proof is actually so simple it's hard to believe that no one saw before me.

Here it is:

Intelligence cannot exist without reliance upon the second law of thermodynamics. Especially if we are defining intelligence as dynamic conscious thought that is capable of memory and making logically reasoned decisions. The ability to do this requires the second law of thermodynamics in order to perform the necessary functions.

Yet if the second law of thermodynamics is in force, then the system must necessarily run down over time and eventually become inactive. In other words, no perpetual motion is permitted in a system where Entropy rules. Therefore any intelligent system cannot be eternal. Thus if an intelligent conscious God exists, it cannot be eternal. Or if an eternal "God" exists it cannot be intelligent or conscious.

Therefore no eternal intelligent conscious God can exist.

This proof already exists in known physics. Nothing new needed to be added.

So this is a universal truth I 'discovered' and not something I 'invented'.

Where do I apply for my Nobel Prize? :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Walterbl

Post #31

Post by Walterbl »

If anythin, this shows the material universe can't be eternal. Entrophy would have already increased to a maximum as predicted by the second law of thermodynamics.

God, being non-maerial, is not subject to this law.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #32

Post by Divine Insight »

Walterbl wrote: If anythin, this shows the material universe can't be eternal. Entrophy would have already increased to a maximum as predicted by the second law of thermodynamics.

God, being non-maerial, is not subject to this law.
Of course a non-material God would not be subject to this law. However a non-material God would be a non-existent God so that would be irrelevant.

If a God "exists" then it too must have some "physics" associated with it, even if that "physics" is just mathematical rules and laws, just like govern our universe.

The moment you claim that nothing applies to your God you have just created a God which is necessarily nothing.

A God that is nothing is of no relevance to anything.
[center]Image
[/center]

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Goat »

[Replying to post 30 by Walterbl]

The only things I know that are 'non-material' are things that are conceptual, .. i.e. the product of thinking. Can you show that there are other non-material things that are independent of what man thinks?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #34

Post by Divine Insight »

Goat wrote: [Replying to post 30 by Walterbl]

The only things I know that are 'non-material' are things that are conceptual, .. i.e. the product of thinking. Can you show that there are other non-material things that are independent of what man thinks?
Actually there are even good arguments for why conceptual things are not truly "non-material" and the reason is rather obvious.

In order to conceptualize a thought one must have a physical brain to organize the information, or states of matter, that represent these thoughts in the first place.

So the very idea that even thoughts could be 'non-material' is an unanswered question itself. Although materialist would say that this question is answered since no one can point to a 'thought' that isn't associated with some form of physically organized matter. So the idea that we could speak of 'non-material' thoughts without having sufficiently demonstrated that such a thing could exist isn't all that much different from claiming that a God that we can't demonstrate to exist should be thought of as existing.

So I wouldn't be so quick to concede to the existence of anything 'non-material' existing including thoughts themselves. Thoughts are just as physical as anything else.
[center]Image
[/center]

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Goat »

Divine Insight wrote:

Actually there are even good arguments for why conceptual things are not truly "non-material" and the reason is rather obvious.

In order to conceptualize a thought one must have a physical brain to organize the information, or states of matter, that represent these thoughts in the first place.

So the very idea that even thoughts could be 'non-material' is an unanswered question itself. Although materialist would say that this question is answered since no one can point to a 'thought' that isn't associated with some form of physically organized matter. So the idea that we could speak of 'non-material' thoughts without having sufficiently demonstrated that such a thing could exist isn't all that much different from claiming that a God that we can't demonstrate to exist should be thought of as existing.

So I wouldn't be so quick to concede to the existence of anything 'non-material' existing including thoughts themselves. Thoughts are just as physical as anything else.
I don''t see how that is a valid line of argumentation at all. It's the logical fallacy of argument from ignorance.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

jgh7

Post #36

Post by jgh7 »

Divine Insight wrote:

One can argue that a thought is produced by something material, but the thought itself is immaterial. The brain matter and electrical synapses are all material and they may very well produce thoughts, but thoughts are immaterial.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #37

Post by Divine Insight »

Goat wrote: I don''t see how that is a valid line of argumentation at all. It's the logical fallacy of argument from ignorance.
I don't see where there is an rational reason to believe that thoughts are 'non-material', or that any thoughts could exist in the absence of material.

Could you explain how you think that could happen? :-k
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #38

Post by Divine Insight »

jgh7 wrote: One can argue that a thought is produced by something material, but the thought itself is immaterial. The brain matter and electrical synapses are all material and they may very well produce thoughts, but thoughts are immaterial.
What are you calling a 'thought'?

If a thought is a meaningful coherent collection of ideas that can be understood to make some sort of "reasonable sense", then it's meaningless to even speak of 'thoughts' if you don't already have a brain that can make sense of the ideas the thought represents.

A 'thought' is just a representation of a meaningful construction of data. And you can't have data without a material medium.

You might argue that thoughts can be transferred between different media therefore implying that the thoughts themselves on not dependent upon the media, but that would actually be incorrect. All this means is that material thoughts require some form of material that can be manipulated into the information the thought represents. So it's always still physical.

In fact, if a thought is 'lost' from any material memory, then it no longer exists.

So clearly thoughts are totally dependent upon the material world in order to exist.
[center]Image
[/center]

Still small
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by Still small »

Divine Insight wrote: Actually I have already proven countless times over that the Biblical God cannot exist as it is described in the Bible because the Bible demands that its own God behaves in contradictory ways and has a contradictory character.

Theists actually agree with me on this.
Here, I believe you have overstated your case. It is more correct to say, “Some [t]heists actually agree with me on this�, as not all theists do agree with you. I, for one, (amongst many) do not agree with you and, therefore, the remainder of your waffle is irrelevant.
They too literally reject the Bible with the full understanding that it is indeed self-contradictory as it is written. So instead they argue for a non-Biblical God by demanding that instead of accepting what the Bible actually says they pretend that some "Holy Spirit" has secretly and supernaturally given then divine insight into meanings that are totally contradictory to what the bible literally says. And of course every theist has a totally different idea of what these alternative non-literal interpretations should be as well.

Moreover, the non-literal interpretations that the theists give always turn out to be self-contradictory apologies as well. Or they need to reduce their God to being as helpless and inept as mortal humans by using humans as an example of how they thing God should act. For example, God should be as bad of a parent as humans. For them this makes sense. God had to sacrifice Jesus in a similar manner to how human soldiers need to die in a war. What they fail to realize is that human soldiers die in wars precisely because humans aren't omnipotent and omniscient or wise enough to prevent wars in the first place. The very idea that the Biblical God has enemies that he needs to fight is already a gross contradictions of what an omnipotent omniscient God needs to be like. So the God of the Bible is inept by the Bible's own requirement. (Emphasis added)
Why, in your opinion, is this “a gross contradiction�? Whenever there is a position of great power and authority, there will always be those who wish to snatch it.
This is easy to understand once you realize that the God described in the Bible is a fabrication of inept humans who simply pushed their own inept characteristics onto their fictional God. After all this is a God who is jealous of other Gods. How silly is that in a monotheistic religion? Jealously is a human flaw to begin with anyway. And so is anger, wrath, and rage.(Emphasis added)
Here is a clear misstatement (straw man) as obviously, in a monotheistic universe, God is jealous of false gods, whom men worship. This jealousy is as defined -
“ jealous -
5. Intolerant of disloyalty or infidelity; autocratic: a jealous god.
� - (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved)
God is intolerant of disloyalty because He alone is deserving of the worship which some were giving to false (fake) gods. While jealousy, anger, wrath and rage may be a human flaw, it is only so because with humans, who have limited knowledge of the facts of a situation, may be angry, etc, for false or wrong reason or unjustified. God is not limited in His knowledge and, therefore, His anger is directed correctly and just.
So there is no need to disprove the Biblical God. The authors of the Bible have already done that for us. And, as I say, even the theists know this as even they need to literally reject the Bible in favor of pretending that it could have been written differently. :roll: (Emphasis added)
Only if one deliberately or accidentally misinterprets what is written. This is usually done via several means such as, in the case of ‘deliberate’ - maliciousness or self-justification. By ‘accident’ - by not researching and confirming the meaning of the original language or by isolating single verses as opposed to looking at the entire ‘picture’ as revealed throughout the scriptures.
This thread isn't about disproving the Biblical God (An obviously man-made fictional God). This thread shows how no possible "eternal" God who has a conscious coherent mind can possibly exist. And the reason is simple. In order to have coherent consciousness it would require the property of entropy. But if it has entropy then it cannot be eternal.

So there you have it. You speak of a "God outside of Time", but you are failing to recognize what this would mean. A God that is outside of time could not have a coherent consciousness. So your premise that a meaningful conscious God could exist outside of time already requires that you violate this principle.
Why, again, does a “coherent consciousness�, (which simply means - being able to place together a positive thought process) require the “property of entropy�?
Finally, an intelligent creative God cannot serve as an explanation for the existence of intelligence. The idea that this would be a valid explanation is absurd. If intelligence is required before intelligence can be created then from whence did this God obtain his intelligent design?
Why cannot an intelligent creative God create intelligence? Is this thinking only due to your lack of understanding? Likewise, on the same point, as shown in every scientific experiment to examine it, life can only come from life. In a purely naturalistic world, where did life come from? Now you have shown no reason why something of infinite intelligence cannot create something of lesser intelligence. I believe it is just wishful thinking on your part.
The failure in this type of argument is that humans are used to a magician being a valid explanation for "magic". In other words, if we see a man pull a rabbit out of a hat we might think this is impossible. But as soon as we are told that this man is a "magician" we accept this as a valid explanation.

But why? Can magicians actually perform impossible magic? No of course not. The reason we accept the magician as a valid "explanation" is because we understand that no magic was actually done, but rather the magician knows slight-of-hand tricks and the art of illusion to make you think you are seeing things that are impossible. But they aren't truly impossible at all. They are perfectly within the rules of physics.

So now you want to claim that a "magical" God must be the explanation for the existence of a universe. Why? Because saying that a "magician did it", is a valid explanation. But actually it's not. You would then need to explain how the magician does what he does for it to be an actual explanation. And no theist has ever been able to do that.

In short:

An unexplained God is no explanation for anything.
The problem with your argument is that you try to restrict the God of the Bible to the limitations of our 4D Universe but He clearly is not. And just as the creation of our universe is beyond the ‘rules of physics’, so is the Creator God of the Bible. It is not magic, it is just beyond your capability to understand and replicate. In your so-called argument, you have made numerous claims as to what can and cannot be, yet without any supporting evidence or explanation. Thus being the reason it (you) have failed.

Have a good day!
Still small

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #40

Post by Divine Insight »

Still small wrote: Here, I believe you have overstated your case. It is more correct to say, “Some [t]heists actually agree with me on this�, as not all theists do agree with you. I, for one, (amongst many) do not agree with you and, therefore, the remainder of your waffle is irrelevant.
Actually, unless you are an extreme Biblical literalist who demands that every single word of the Bible is the infallible word of God, then you do agree with me and just don't yet realize it. Moreover, it's actually impossible to take a pure literalist position on the Bible in any case because there is no such thing as "The Bible" anyway. So, in the end, you really have no choice. It's not really open to personal subjective opinion.
Still small wrote: Why, in your opinion, is this “a gross contradiction�? Whenever there is a position of great power and authority, there will always be those who wish to snatch it.
How in the world do you propose that power could be snatched from an omnipotent creator? That's a contradiction right there.

The very idea that some fallen angel could think that he could snatch power from the omnipotent creator who had even created his very own existence is utterly absurd.

The very idea that an omnipotent God would need to go to war against a fallen angel is a contradiction. Either the God is not omnipotent, or if he is omnipotent then he's just playing ignorant games with people that are totally unethical and immoral by an sane meaning of those terms.

The only way that a God could need to make a sacrifice of death in a war would be if the God himself was as helpless as a mortal human. Making a sacrifice in a war is an act of extreme desperation when all else has failed.

So how can you not see the obvious contradiction of an omnipotent God having to sacrifice himself or his demigod Son in an act of extreme desperation to win a war that he was already losing?

The contradictions of this religion are right before your very eyes, and have nothing at all to do with me or my opinions.
Still small wrote: Here is a clear misstatement (straw man) as obviously, in a monotheistic universe, God is jealous of false gods, whom men worship. This jealousy is as defined -
“ jealous -
5. Intolerant of disloyalty or infidelity; autocratic: a jealous god.
� - (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved)
God is intolerant of disloyalty because He alone is deserving of the worship which some were giving to false (fake) gods. While jealousy, anger, wrath and rage may be a human flaw, it is only so because with humans, who have limited knowledge of the facts of a situation, may be angry, etc, for false or wrong reason or unjustified. God is not limited in His knowledge and, therefore, His anger is directed correctly and just.
And now you are making utterly absurd excuses for a totally inept and ignorant creator. A God who created people who are so utterly stupid that they can't even understand the simplest of concepts. And then he's going to get angry and hold there stupidity against them?

Sorry Still small, but the fictitious God you are attempting to defend would need to be so extremely ignorant that he couldn't even remotely be considered to be all-wise or intelligent. You don't create idiots only to become angry with them for being idiots.

Besides, if you are worshiping God, then that's what you are doing. There cannot be any such thing as a "false God". If the Canaanites were sacrificing their babies to God then that's what they were doing. What you are suggesting is that your God is so extremely stupid that he couldn't even figure that one out.

The only way the story of the Canaanites could have made any sense at all is if the Canaanites refuses to worship God at all. Period. In fact, they couldn't even be atheists either. They would actually need to believe that God exists and simply refuse to obey or worship him. If they are worshiping God and sacrificing their babies to God then they haven't rejected God.

So the story of the Canaanites gives away the Bible as being a clearly man-made fable that cannot have anything at all to do with any supposedly omniscient Creator, because an omniscient creator would know better than that.
Still small wrote: Only if one deliberately or accidentally misinterprets what is written. This is usually done via several means such as, in the case of ‘deliberate’ - maliciousness or self-justification. By ‘accident’ - by not researching and confirming the meaning of the original language or by isolating single verses as opposed to looking at the entire ‘picture’ as revealed throughout the scriptures.
You know this is a false argument. Even Christians disagree with each other. Just look at the greatest riff in Christianity, "Catholicism vs. Protestantism". They have wildly different interpretations and can't agree on much of anything. Even the Catholic Popes themselves over the centuries have had wildly different views and interpretations of this unintelligible religion.

The fact is that the religion makes no sense, and Christendom is the historical proof of this. There is no consistency in the Catholic Church over the centuries, and Protestant beliefs and interpretations vary so widely that Denominations at the far ends of this rainbow of confusion have radically different views and beliefs.

The idea that there is only one way to interpret these ancient fables is utterly absurd. Christendom has proven this beyond any shadow of a doubt.

If you don't see this you can't be paying attention to reality.
Still small wrote: Why, again, does a “coherent consciousness�, (which simply means - being able to place together a positive thought process) require the “property of entropy�?
[/quote

Well, to begin with you can't even have memory without entropy. Entropy is what makes memory possible. So without memory how do you expect to construct a coherent consciousness? And keep in mind, this includes even the shortest possible memory. In other words, without entropy you couldn't even construct a "line of reasoning", because you couldn't even remember the beginning of the line of reasoning by the time you got to the end of it.

You simply cannot have a coherent consciousness without an increase in entropy.

Be very thankful for entropy because without it you could not even exist.
Still small wrote: Why cannot an intelligent creative God create intelligence? Is this thinking only due to your lack of understanding? Likewise, on the same point, as shown in every scientific experiment to examine it, life can only come from life. In a purely naturalistic world, where did life come from? Now you have shown no reason why something of infinite intelligence cannot create something of lesser intelligence. I believe it is just wishful thinking on your part.
"Life" is a term coined by humans. There is no actual difference between living and non-living things other than in how they are configured. They are all made of precisely the same elements. The only difference is in how they are arranged. That's it. Period.

So the difference between a non-living thing and a living thing is just a matter of arrangement of the elements that make it up. So there is absolutely no reason why life cannot evolve from non-living matter in this universe. It doesn't require any magic or outside intervention at all.

Also in answer to your question, "Why cannot an intelligent creative God create intelligence?" Well, you have already asked the wrong question. The question is, 'Why can't an intelligent creative God be an explanation for how intelligence came to be?"

That's the question. And the answer should be obvious. If an intelligent creative God is the explanation for intelligence, then how did that intelligent creative God come to be. According to this "explanation" this God must then have been created by yet another creative intelligence, and so on.

So you see, it's not that an intelligent creative God could not create intelligent life. It's just that this is no explanation at all until you have explained how that intelligent God came to be in the first place.

After all, if your argument is that intelligence is required to design intelligence, then you've violated your own argument the moment you postulate that an intelligent God could exist who wasn't created by a previously intelligent entity.

So your argument become circular and meaningless.
Still small wrote: The problem with your argument is that you try to restrict the God of the Bible to the limitations of our 4D Universe but He clearly is not. And just as the creation of our universe is beyond the ‘rules of physics’, so is the Creator God of the Bible. It is not magic, it is just beyond your capability to understand and replicate. In your so-called argument, you have made numerous claims as to what can and cannot be, yet without any supporting evidence or explanation. Thus being the reason it (you) have failed.
Entropy holds for all dimensions. There is nothing about entropy that is limited by dimensions. Whatever dimension you imagine your invisible God to exist in, it would still need to have entropy if it is to have coherent thoughts in that dimension. And if it has entropy then it cannot be eternal.

So adding more dimensions doesn't help.
[center]Image
[/center]