WHY did Jesus leave us?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

WHY did Jesus leave us?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If Jesus was (is) God-incarnate and also the Messiah, why did he leave us after the resurrection?

Why didn't he stay with us for eternity....on earth?

Why didn't he usher-in the Messianic Age/the Kingdom of God the first time around? (Universal peace under God's rule etc)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: WHY did Jesus leave us?

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 19 by JehovahsWitness] that is not what I asked. Can God change his mind about the set dates and times?
Oh well if you are not specifically talking about the "times and seasons" of the end of this present political system of things (and the start of a new world order Under Jesus), but rather in general, I would say God CAN do anything.

The bible says nothing in impossible for God so in theory he can change his mind about anything. Whether he does or not would depend on whether doing so would violate core principles which He himself says He always honors.

Hope that helps,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

postroad
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 21 by JehovahsWitness]
So God can change his mind about national Israel on account of their unfaithfulness but can not change his mind about the set date of Christ's return on account of Christian unfaithfulness?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 21 by JehovahsWitness]
So God can change his mind about national Israel on account of their unfaithfulness but can not change his mind about the set date of Christ's return on account of Christian unfaithfulness?
I don't recall saying God cannot change his mind about the set date of Christ's return. Are you suggesting I said the above? What I did say is that God hasn't chosen to devulge that information to humans (I am a human), so I cannot say one way or the other.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
postroad wrote: [Replying to post 16 by JehovahsWitness]

Can these times and dates be changed by God?
I am not in possession of God's diary nor am I privy to what he does or does not do in this regard, its simply information that he has chosen not to share with humans (The bible says "nobody knows the date or the hour"). I won't go beyond what I read in the bible, but I can say that the bible has enough information for the faithful to identify the "generation" and that he is true to his word when he does chose to communicate information.

JW
postroad wrote:that is not what I asked. Can God change his mind about the set dates and times?
JehovahsWitness wrote:Oh well if you are not specifically talking about the "times and seasons"of the end of this present political system of things (and the start of a new world order Under Jesus), but rather in general, I would say God CAN do anything. JW
postroad wrote: So God can change his mind about national Israel on account of their unfaithfulness but can not change his mind about the set date of Christ's return on account of Christian unfaithfulness?
If His Christian organization proved unfaithful I am confident Jehovah would adapt so that his final purpose be fulfilled. In any case as I said earlier, what I do know from the bible is that

- God will never prove unfaithful to His declared word.
- That God has not declared to humans the date and time of the end of this system and that ...
- God can do anything and but always uses his omnipotence in line with his core values.

Hope that clarifies things,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

postroad
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 23 by JehovahsWitness]
Is it possible that God has completely forsaken Christianity as you believe he did with national Israel?
Matthew 5:18-20New International Version (NIV)

18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 23 by JehovahsWitness]
Is it possible that God has completely forsaken Christianity as you believe he did with national Israel?
Matthew 5:18-20New International Version (NIV)
For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
As I said, God always proves true to his word, Jesus said he would be with this true followers until the end of the system of things and the only way that might be changed would be if they (True Christians) proved as an organization to be unfaithful or disobedient.

That has not happened, True Christians are presently faithfully fulfilling their commission to preach the good news, currenly spending billions of hours preaching from door to door and announcing Christ's incoming government as instructed and are enjoying a "spiritual paradise" which is evidence of God's blessing and approval.

Christendom (apostate "imitation" Christian churches) have never had God's blessing since they have proved to be part of Babylon the Great, and so its not a question of God rejecting them.

JW

Elijah John
Savant

Post #26

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Christendom (apostate "imitation" Christian churches) have never had God's blessing since they have proved to be part of Babylon the Great, and so its not a question of God rejecting them.

JW
So are only Jehovah's Witnesses real Christians and not "apostates" or "imitation" Christians?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #27

Elijah John wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW
So are only Jehovah's Witnesses real Christians and not "apostates" or "imitation" Christians?

No, you cannot be an "apostate" if you have never been in the true religion. Christiandom, as a whole is an "apostate" religion since, I believe, it was born when individuals left Christian teachings (after the death of the last of the Apostles) and adopted pagan philosophy and manmade traditions.

Only Jehovah's Witnesses I believe practice real (true) Christianity as Jesus presented in scripture at this present time. Of course, in my opinion, God sees the many millions of sincere people other religions, and is calling them out (see Rev 18:4).

JW

source: https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -religion/

Further reading: How Can I Find the True Religion?
https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... n-is-true/

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

I could give many reasons for this aside from the obvious that the Jews and Romans at the time, did not make for too pleasant company ;)

He healed and preached without being paid, and then was beat and whipped and killed by nothing more than stating "I am batman", would you want to stick around with such people?

That, and then he gives indication in the Bible that he left so that the spirit could work in people to teach them to be better. People have a tendency to become lazy sheep when following a master, when pushed out of a comfort zone there is more compelling reasons to make a effort.

That of cause and you have the prophesies, and that Jesus felt sure that they party better out in space than we do :)

marco
Savant

Post #29

Post by marco »

Hector Barbosa wrote:

I could give many reasons for this aside from the obvious that the Jews and Romans at the time, did not make for too pleasant company

He healed and preached without being paid, and then was beat and whipped and killed by nothing more than stating "I am batman", would you want to stick around with such people?
And we haven't advanced much today, but we kill in more sophisticated ways, sometimes with a humble telephone. The Romans injected some civilisation on the world and had a communication system that rivals our modern day mail.

Not so long ago an old man of 82, Khaled al-Asaad, was murdered in Palmyra because some other religious group took a dislike to the archaeologist and curator of antiquities. Babies were thrown into gas chambers not so many years ago - so let us not believe the Jews and Romans of old were worse than we are today.

Yes, Jesus was probably deluded in his prophecies. He meant well.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 27 by JehovahsWitness]
Is Christianity today the church of the Antichrist?
1 John 2:17-19New International Version (NIV)

17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

Warnings Against Denying the Son

18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.