WHY did Jesus leave us?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

WHY did Jesus leave us?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If Jesus was (is) God-incarnate and also the Messiah, why did he leave us after the resurrection?

Why didn't he stay with us for eternity....on earth?

Why didn't he usher-in the Messianic Age/the Kingdom of God the first time around? (Universal peace under God's rule etc)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

postroad
Prodigy

Re: WHY did Jesus leave us?

Post #2

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John] Have you ever considered the possibility of pious fraud. What would Christianity look like if in fact it was a Christian fabrication built on a Jewish one? Would the reality you imagine line up with the reality we have?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John] Have you ever considered the possibility of pious fraud. What would Christianity look like if in fact it was a Christian fabrication built on a Jewish one? Would the reality you imagine line up with the reality we have?
I think it may be a pious fiction. It is very convenient that Jesus ascended after the resurrection and did not stay around, especially if he was supposed to preside over the Kingdom of God. Doesn't disprove anything, but it does arouse suspicion.

-YHVH is LORD

postroad
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by postroad »

[Replying to Elijah John]
You may have noticed I sometimes get a little flustered at the scriptural ignorance of many Christians. It boggles my mind having put relevant text before the reader and it's logical conclusion that they then do not have an inkling of how they relate. So now we have the prophecy of absolute God given understanding through the Spirit being pared down to Spiritual discernment of conflicting text written by fallible humans supposedly led by the Spirit to record God's new revelation and the members don't understand what the new covenant is. Neither when given the texts and the conclusion do they so much as feel a Spiritual twitch of understanding.
So much for the Comforter sent to speak for Jesus in his absence. These people could be fed anything and they wouldn't know the difference. The first century believers were even less educated and if they had the same Spirit as modern Christianity possesses I imagine they were just as susceptible to anybody with a charasmatic personality and a good story.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by postroad »

Oh yeah. The reason Jesus had to leave was because after millennia of dispensing the Spirit when and to who he wanted ,God inexplicably wasn't able to do it unless Jesus left first.
John 16:6-8New International Version (NIV)

6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:

Plumbus Grumbo
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Plumbus Grumbo »

Elijah John wrote: If Jesus was (is) God-incarnate and also the Messiah, why did he leave us after the resurrection?

Why didn't he usher-in the Messianic Age/the Kingdom of God the first time around? (Universal peace under God's rule etc)
He wasn't able. Christ was a liar who died and left his believers hopeless. Thank god?!

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Elijah John wrote: If Jesus was (is) God-incarnate and also the Messiah, why did he leave us after the resurrection?

Hmmm… …Jesus said he went to prepare a place for his disciples. that is the Biblical answer to that question.

If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also.
John 14:3

But he didn’t left us all alone, if we believe this:

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them."
Matt. 18:20

And by what I see, Jesus established the Kingdom and even today, it is where his disciples are. :)

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight, that I wouldn't be delivered to the Jews. But now my kingdom is not from here."
John 18:36

"The Kingdom of God doesn't come with observation; neither will they say, 'Look, here!' or, 'Look, there!' for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."
Luke 17:20-21

Jesus answered him, "Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

"Therefore don't be anxious, saying, 'What will we eat?', 'What will we drink?' or, 'With what will we be clothed?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first God's Kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well.

Matthew 6:31-33

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

[Replying to 1213]

Jesus ascends.
Looks around Heaven.
Waives his hand. (Runs a feather duster around?)
Heaven is prepared for the disciples.

Ten minutes later, he is held up by...

Apologies, but the disciples were to be come a few spirits nee men.
What's taking the time?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

postroad wrote: Oh yeah. The reason Jesus had to leave was because after millennia of dispensing the Spirit when and to who he wanted ,God inexplicably wasn't able to do it unless Jesus left first.
John 16:6-8New International Version (NIV)

6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:
But the Holy Spirit of God was already in the world .before Jesus was even born. He was with King David, (else David would not have pleaded with God not to take his Spirit from him after he sinned with Bathsheba) and was with the Prophets, as the Nicene Creed states, "He has spoken though the Prophets" and one presumes He was also with anyone who heeded the Prophets and embraced the will of YHVH as well.

So it seems Biblical to assert that God did indeed give His Spirit without waiting for the supposed necessity of Jesus ascension..

-YHVH is LORD

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

A very good point. If it was God's intention to establish that He had sent Jesus to Earth to provide an avenue of salvation for humankind, how much more effective would that claim have been, beginning on the day of Pentecost and thereafter, then by actually providing the risen man as proof? "Jesus is risen! (drum roll) And here he is now!" As opposed to, "Jesus is risen from the dead! Where is he? Oh, well, of course he's not here NOW! He flew off up into the sky and disappeared into a cloud."
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.