Could God be our consciousness, the mind?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

checkers
Student

Post #1

Post by checkers »

Many people are now considering the possibility that our consciousness is the God that religious people and their holy books are about.

What do you think about the possibility of our consciousness being God?

Here's a link to the thoughts I wrote down from my consciousness; https://goddeception.wordpress.com/2016 ... -are-one/

jgh7

Post #2

Post by jgh7 »

I understand the phrase "I think therefore I am"
But I don't understand the phrase "I think therefore God is"

Perhaps you could explain how you get to the latter

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

I think that's what God exactly is. It's our own mind... our conscience, our subconscious. It all just sounds so clear, wise and profound sometimes. I used to put that down to God as a Christian.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #4

Post by TheBeardedDude »

Alternatively (as suggested by others), god is a concept limited to the mind and imagination.

gordsd
Apprentice

Re: Could God be our consciousness, the mind?

Post #5

Post by gordsd »

[Replying to checkers]

God could be our consciousness. To be conscious of one's self is a mystery, in the sense of one does not make one self-conscious (how could a god's consciousness come from nothing?). It is a gift from somewhere. Or it is the result of millions or billions of years of evolution. Whether if consciousness is the result of the former or latter it makes no difference to me. A couple of questions makes a point: how does consciousness come from nothing? Or how does something conscious make something else conscious? It is impossible to answer IMHO. From communicating with my late black lab, Maxine, I learned that it certainly seemed that she, my pet dog, was conscious of me, my feelings and my desires to make her happy. Too, on another level, walking on the sea shore and touching muscle shells and barnacles and watching them contracting into their defense modes, it made me wonder if they were conscious on some lower level. Where does consciousness begin, on the evolutionary time scale, into what we think is consciousness? If consciousness has evolved, for us, as we have slowly evolved from simple life forms like cells; then, perhaps, God, if we want to use that term, is in a state of self-realization as well, and we are coming to greater consciousness as God is. So it does not necessarily follow, but it seems to me that it is very plausible that we share in God's consciousness as do all life forms in varying degrees.

As all scientist know, most life, if not all, in some way or another, feed on the free gift of light which comes from our sun. In a book I just read, a physicist makes the point, that defining life is not so easy: that light penetrating dead objects changes them—animates them: the light interacts with the atoms and makes them move in different directions. So to define where there is and is not life is not so easy—depending on how we define life. As soon as there is life, it seems to me that there is some kind of force organizing things to take on a life of their own. The life seems to feed on the light and the light pushes life to consciousness. Is there a conscious force which animates? If so, then in at least in an indirect way, we share in that consciousness. Some would argue that they share in that universal consciousness in a more direct way.

I would phrase the question a bit differently. It is not that God is our consciousness; rather, God shares in our consciousness and the life and light (which is difficult to define) which comes to us freely enables that consciousness.

Plumbus Grumbo
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Plumbus Grumbo »

checkers wrote: Many people are now considering the possibility that our consciousness is the God that religious people and their holy books are about.

What do you think about the possibility of our consciousness being God?

Here's a link to the thoughts I wrote down from my consciousness; https://goddeception.wordpress.com/2016 ... -are-one/
Or is consciousness god? Spiritus Mundi.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 1 by checkers]
You seem to presume that consciousness is limited to only humans. I caught our dog daydreaming as she awaited one of us to let her in. Many times she appears to be in deep thought, probably wondering what life is all about. Other times she exhibits empathy when I'm in a funk about something.

Other primates have been proven to exhibit empathy. Just because we can't talk to them doesn't mean we never will. I imagine their thoughts about gods probably mean us humans -- so gifted we are with high tech, etc.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #8

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by checkers]

The worshipped god is most certainly, to me, in the mind of the believer. That's not to say a god/deity/supreme entity doesn't exist.
People tend to want to believe in something 'larger than themselves', be it a religious deity or a movie or a book or whatever.
A lot of the unknown things we experience are likely only in the or from the mind.