Comfort

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Comfort

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

Life in this world can be distressing. Is there anywhere we can turn for reliable help and comfort? JWs are asking this question world-wide for this month. The focus is on Jehovah, our God "of tender mercies."

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation through the comfort with which we ourselves are being comforted by God." (2 Corinthians 1:3,4)

Any thoughts so far?

:flower:

onewithhim
Savant

Post #71

Post by onewithhim »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 54 by onewithhim]
onewithhim wrote: Any other comments on post #52, Blastcat?
Only to say that you seem to believe what some passages of the Bible has to say.
I can't dispute or debate your beliefs.

People with all kinds of different backgrounds interpret the Bible in different ways to mean all kinds of different things, and then believe that their interpretations are TRUE in an objective sense.

I say that these personal interpretations can only be true in the SUBJECTIVE sense.

It's my opinion that the best we could do is to check for the internal logic and consistency of an interpretation, as we can do with ANY literary interpretation.

What does a poem mean?

There isn't an OBJECTIVE meaning to a poem, you see... only subjective ones.
A poem can be "TRUE" , but only true to a PERSON... not like when we say true of nature. That's why, in my opinion, Christians and other theists have to DEBATE over the "meaning" of Bible passages. Some agree, some don't.

Interpreting the Bible is more like an art than a science in that way.
Subjective, not objective.

So, I would take heaven and hell and god and Bible concepts the way I take poetry.. in the Bible's case.. very good powerful poetry, indeed.

I love the Bible for it's POETIC truth, but not at all for it's LITERAL truth.

If you have questions about my position, don't hesitate to ask.

:)
Blastcat, I wrote you a response but put it on the thread about the pope being infallible. Would you mind going there and checking out post #18? (I suddenly got thrown off the Internet, before I could submit it in the right place, and then I screwed up and put in in the wrong place.)