Moderator: Moderators

man
Banned
Banned

Jesus is Lord?

Post #1

Post by man »

Jesus is Lord!

I have seen this on bumper stickers, TV and the internet, but I'm not quite sure what it means.

It seems to be saying that Jesus and the God are the same thing, is this correct?

man
Banned
Banned

Re: Jesus is Lord?

Post #101

Post by man »

onewithhim wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 93 by onewithhim]

Forever doesn't appeal to all people and you don't understand it, but it would do you good to understand why it doesn't appeal to all people.
My own son doesn't want to live forever. How can I "understand" that? I'll never understand it, but I accept that fact....that some people don't want to live forever. I accept it.

:-|
How old is your son?

And you can understand why your son doesn't want to live forever with a little work.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #102

Post by JehovahsWitness »

man wrote: [Replying to post 97 by JehovahsWitness]

How do you view Jesus?

For Jehovah's Witnesse Jesus is the son of God, the Chief agent or means by which God administers life. This means that we recognize that what God has to give he gives through Jesus and we must obey and honour him (Jesus). Jehovah's Witnesses love Jesus and view him as our leader, we give him the honour he deserves as the second most powerful person in the universe.

But we do not pray to Jesus, we do not believe Jesus to be equal to God since Jesus himself is a created being, and we do not offer our worship to Jesus.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by Yahu »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 97 by JehovahsWitness]

How do you view Jesus?

For Jehovah's Witnesse Jesus is the son of God, the Chief agent or means by which God administers life. This means that we recognize that what God has to give he gives through Jesus and we must obey and honour him (Jesus). Jehovah's Witnesses love Jesus and view him as our leader, we give him the honour he deserves as the second most powerful person in the universe.

But we do not pray to Jesus, we do not believe Jesus to be equal to God since Jesus himself is a created being, and we do not offer our worship to Jesus.

JW
Yet Yeshua told His followers that if they have seen Him, they have seen the Father.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #104

Post by dio9 »

bump
Last edited by dio9 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #105

Post by Yahu »

JehovahsWitness wrote: As one of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES I hold the biblical view that the generic term "god" can and is legitimately applied to many individuals whether real or imaginary. There is however biblically only one Supreme creator of the universe, and as such only one person for whom the title ALMIGHTY (all powerful) God can be applied, this we believe to be YHWH (Jehovah) the God of the bible.
JW
Actually that isn't always true. I am assuming you are referring to the usage of 'El Elyon' as 'almighty'. El Elyon is mightest of the mighty ones and can also be a reference to Noah. Each nation had a national El that was that nations founding father. So for the Canaanites, El could be a reference to Canaan and El Elyon would be a reference to Noah, the father of all nations.

For example, El isn't always translated as God or god. It just means 'mighty one' and here in psalms it is just translated as 'mighty'. It is the singular syntax for the 1st Elohyim but plural with the 2nd. When Elohyim (a plural) is used in singular syntax it is a reference to Yah. Hebrew does that. It uses a plural form with singular syntax to reference 'a great one of these' instead of 'multiple of these'. An example is Bohemoth. Bohemoth is the hebrew for feminine plural of beasts/cows but The Bohemoth is male and as great as an entire herd of cows.

El Elyon is 'mightiest of the mighty' which is often translated as 'almighty' or 'most high'. Elohyim is 'mighty (ones)'. The 'one/ones' is implied. It can be a reference to Yah or angels or any group of 'mighty ones'. It is determined by the syntax and the context.

This can be seen in Psalms.

Ps 82:1 God (Elohyim) standeth in the congregation of the mighty (El); he judgeth among the gods (Elohyim).
2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6 I have said, Ye are gods (Elohyim); and all of you are children of the most High (El Elyon).

In this case it appears to be an assembly of the national founding fathers and a reference to all being sons of Noah.

It wouldn't make sense that the passage read 'God stands in the congregation of God and judges God... You are God, and all of you are children of God! It makes perfect sense as Yah stands in the assembly of the nations and judges them but we are all 'mighty ones' because we are all children of Noah. No, Noah isn't named but it is a title like any title has to be taken in the contextual meaning.

Secondly, there are no imaged gods mentioned in the bible. All the pagan deities are actual principalities and most of those listed are the same group listed in multiple language with similar meanings or epitaphs of that same group.

All over the OT the worst of the pagan deities was the pagan sun god. In Eze there is a vision of all the abominations done at Yah's temple but the WORST were those in the courtyard worshiping the rising sun.

14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD’S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.
16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD’S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

Sun god worship was Molech worship in the Canaanite pantheon and is directly equated with 'debasing thyself unto Sheol'. Molech worship was direct Satan worship. Baal was who christians in the NT called the anti-christ spirit...

Molech in the Philistine pantheon was Baalzebub for example. It was a reference to him being a destroyer by insect plague. Sacrifices of locust and mice were part of Molech worship as a plague bringer by plagues that destroy crops like locust and mice. In the Greek Apollo means 'the destroyer' and he was 'the destroyer' by insect/mice plagues. So whether it is 'the destroyer' or the 'lord of the flies' it is a reference to the same individual. Even Rah, the Egyptian sun god means 'evil' in Hebrew.
Last edited by Yahu on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #106

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to man]

Spirit is eternal, no beginning no end eternity is hard to grasp , There is only one spirit. Spirit is everywhere , the catechism says omnipresent , this implies the one spirit is in you too , in each of us . My intuition tells me Spirit is what we are talking abut when we say God , Jesus you and I , all of us are spirit embodied in flesh and blood , that would be God , one spirit , as the Church Fathers said the same stuff. Yes Jesus is fully realized God and we are too , just maybe not as fully realized .

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #107

Post by Yahu »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to man]
Yes Jesus is fully realized God and we are too , just maybe not as fully realized .
I don't know where you get that idea unless you are misunderstanding the passage in psalms I posted above.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #108

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: There is however biblically only one Supreme creator of the universe, and as such only one person for whom the title ALMIGHTY (all powerful) God can be applied, this we believe to be YHWH (Jehovah) the God of the bible.
Yahu wrote: Actually that isn't always true. I am assuming you are referring to the usage of 'El Elyon' as 'almighty'.
You are assuming incorrectly, El Elyon translates as is The Most High (God)), but I refered to Almighty (God)/God Almighty which is in Hebrew El Shaddai. The combination of Shaddai (almighty) with God (El) only appears 7 times in scripture and is always (without exception) applied uniquely to YHWH (Jehovah).

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

dio9
Under Probation

Post #109

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to Yahu]

It logically follows, unless you want to limit God to a book and spiritual insights f the ancients . God is alive and moving today . I don't see this t be in contradiction with the psalm.

man
Banned
Banned

Post #110

Post by man »

onewithhim wrote:
man wrote: [Replying to post 93 by onewithhim]

Forever doesn't appeal to all people and you don't understand it, but it would do you good to understand why it doesn't appeal to all people.
My own son doesn't want to live forever. How can I "understand" that? I'll never understand it, but I accept that fact....that some people don't want to live forever. I accept it.

:-|
The ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes is empathetic and this ability has been stripped away from you by your egocentric religion.