Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Is the ignore list somewhat cowardly?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

Why would you ever place someone on ignore? This forum has rather strict rules. If someone blatantly abuses them, they will get banned. This suggests that one's decision to place someone on ignore is motivated by reasons besides those listed on the rules and guidelines. By ignoring someone, you are not sparing yourself from verbal abuse. What are you sparing yourself from? Why would you censor an opponent?

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Is the ignore list somewhat cowardly?

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

I'll admit that I considered putting a few users on ignore simply because I literally couldn't understand what they had to say. Their posts were walls of text that sounded like a mad six year old had merged with an evangelical preacher. I also considered putting a few others that continually said the exact same thing even when corrected, but after some wise words from more savvy members I realized that we don't only engage the other participants here, but all the readers as well. For that reason, I wouldn't want to be missing part of the conversation. I can easily scan and move on instead.

I've only been put on ignore once, temporarily, and I actually considered it a bit of a victory. I chose to view it as the other person no longer wanted to deal with my points which were causing them grief to deal with. That's not likely what the real reason was, but I looked at it that way. You know who you are my friend and I don't hold it against you at all. :wave:

wiploc
Guru

Post #3

Post by wiploc »

Justin108 wrote: Why would you ever place someone on ignore?
Some people just make me want to insult them. It's easy for me to behave if I never see those people's posts.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Some people are ridiculously oversensitive. It's like they want to take revenge on you for stating something that offends them. You are right, all one has to do is use the report function... or just not bother reading their posts.

There is never any need to put anyone on ignore here, unless of course they see that person as a threat to their own beliefs. For a theist in particular, that shows me an insecurity... a lack of faith in their god. It shows me a lack of ALL the fruits of the holy spirit that all true Christians should have: Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Pretty much any Christian that would put someone on ignore is not a true Christian at all.

I have never put anyone on ignore here and doubt I ever will.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

wiploc wrote:
Some people just make me want to insult them. It's easy for me to behave if I never see those people's posts.
Some of us are better able to exhibit self control I guess. lol ;)

I can see that perhaps it can become very frustrating dealing with certain members. However when it gets to that point for me I just generally avoid reading their posts, knowing they are bound to say something that will irritate the hell out of me.

The biggest problem I see with putting someone on ignore is what if they respond to one of your posts? You'll never see it. They may something completely absurd, insulting or ridiculous. You'd never see it. You'd never respond. Even though it really does need to be responded to.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

wiploc
Guru

Post #6

Post by wiploc »

OnceConvinced wrote:
wiploc wrote:
Some of us are better able to exhibit self control I guess. lol ;)

I can see that perhaps it can become very frustrating dealing with certain members. However when it gets to that point for me I just generally avoid reading their posts, knowing they are bound to say something that will irritate the hell out of me.

The biggest problem I see with putting someone on ignore is what if they respond to one of your posts? You'll never see it. They may something completely absurd, insulting or ridiculous. You'd never see it. You'd never respond. Even though it really does need to be responded to.
That's an issue.

I sometimes post notice in-thread: "I am putting you on ignore. Please do the same for me." That sometimes works out nicely.

In one forum, somebody followed me around responding to my posts with irrelevant insults. I complained to moderation with no success, so I left the forum. I never even knew what his issue was, what point he thought he was making.

It's not like one couldn't win the debate, pointing out to bystanders that the guy's posts are off-topic and insulting, but there's no point, no reason to expend the effort. There are plenty of other forums in the sea.