Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Muslims and Israelites killing people

Post #1

Post by agnosticatheist »

1. Christians, do you find the killings carried out by muslims to be horrifying and disgusting?

2. Do you find the killings carried out by the israelites to be horrifying and disgusting?
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Muslims and Israelites killing people

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

agnosticatheist wrote: 1. Christians, do you find the killings carried out by muslims to be horrifying and disgusting?

2. Do you find the killings carried out by the israelites to be horrifying and disgusting?
You are drawing a false moral equivlancy, imo. Not sure where you live, but what would you do if another country or group, aimed weapons at your civilian population centers, and/or "soft targets".

Israelis seldom if ever strap on suicide belts, and blow themselves up with the thought of taking as many innocent by-standers as possible to the grave with them.

And when and if Israeli citizens do murder civilians, they are punished for it with the full weight of the law.

Palestinian "martyrs", on the other hand, are celebrated for murdering Israeli civilians.

Also, I think you err when (if?) you imply the Arab-Israeli conflicts is religous in nature. It is not.

It is political. It is not "Islam against Judaism". On the contrary, Islam and Judaism have much in common, theololigically, as well as in practical matters.

Historically, Muslim countries have protected Jews from the Christian Inquisiton....

Today, Jews shop in Muslim "Halal" shops, and Muslims shop in Jewish "Kosher" shops.

Granted "holy war" is inexcusable between religions that both teach "love of God and love of neighbor"

That that is not what this is. Except maybe from radical, Jihadist, terrorists like Al-Qaida, or ISIS.
Last edited by Elijah John on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

catnip
Guru

Post #3

Post by catnip »

agnosticatheist wrote: 1. Christians, do you find the killings carried out by muslims to be horrifying and disgusting?

For the record, I believe that Jesus taught us in the Beatitudes that we are to be the peacekeepers. I see this as a call to us to arbitrate peace between factions and never participate.

No, we are not supposed to kill or do harm to others created in God's image--"if you say you love God whom you have not seen, but hate your brother whom you have seen, you are a liar!" This actually comes down to us through the Jewish faith and so it is rather convenient and commonly done to lay it aside, proclaim our enemies and kill them in the name of God. Nothing could do more harm to our religion and its reputation.

All three Abrahamic religions are centered on the Peace of God. In theory.

Shalom aleikhem (English pronunciation: /ʃaˈlɔm aˈlexɛm/, Hebrew: שָ�לוֹ� עֲלֵיכֶ�‎‎ sh�lôm ʻalêḵem, Yiddish: שלו�־עליכ�‎ sholem aleykhem) is a spoken greeting in Hebrew, meaning "peace be upon you." The appropriate response is aleikhem shalom ("unto you peace").

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

catnip wrote:

For the record, I believe that Jesus taught us in the Beatitudes that we are to be the peacekeepers. I see this as a call to us to arbitrate peace between factions and never participate.

No, we are not supposed to kill or do harm to others created in God's image--"if you say you love God whom you have not seen, but hate your brother whom you have seen, you are a liar!" This actually comes down to us through the Jewish faith and so it is rather convenient and commonly done to lay it aside, proclaim our enemies and kill them in the name of God. Nothing could do more harm to our religion and its reputation.

Shalom aleikhem (English pronunciation: /ʃaˈlɔm aˈlexɛm/, Hebrew: שָ�לוֹ� עֲלֵיכֶ�‎‎ sh�lôm ʻalêḵem, Yiddish: שלו�־עליכ�‎ sholem aleykhem) is a spoken greeting in Hebrew, meaning "peace be upon you." The appropriate response is aleikhem shalom ("unto you peace").
And of course, there is the Arabic equivelent. " Salaam alekium" (sp?) and "Alekum Salaam" .."Peace be upon you. and upon you peace"

Also, both religions teach that to "save a single life is like saving the whole world, and to take a single life is like killing the whole world".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Elijah John wrote:

You are drawing a false moral equivlancy, imo. Not sure where you live, but what would you do if another country or group, aimed weapons at your civilian population centers, and/or "soft targets".

Israelis seldom if ever strap on suicide belts, and blow themselves up with the thought of taking as many innocent by-standers as possible to the grave with them.

And when and if Israeli citizens do murder civilians, they are punished for it with the full weight of the law.

Palestinian "martyrs", on the other hand, are celebrated for murdering Israeli civilians.

Also, I think you err when (if?) you imply the Arab-Israeli conflicts is religous in nature. It is not.

It is political. It is not "Islam against Judaism". On the contrary, Islam and Judaism have much in common, theololigically, as well as in practical matters.

Historically, Muslim countries have protected Jews from the Christian Inquisiton....

Today, Jews shop in Muslim "Halal" shops, and Muslims shop in Jewish "Kosher" shops.

Granted "holy war" is inexcusable between religions that both teach "love of God and love of neighbor"

That that is not what this is. Except maybe from radical, Jihadist, terrorists like Al-Qaida, or ISIS.
I would defend myself. BUT, the israelites INVADED canaan.

Im talking about radical, jihadist, terrorists. Lol

The bible says God told them to kill the canaanites. Either God actually told them that, or the bible is presenting false information. Either way, we have a problem.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

catnip
Guru

Post #6

Post by catnip »

Elijah John wrote:
catnip wrote:

And of course, there is the Arabic equivelent. " Salaam alekium" (sp?) and "Alekum Salaam" .."Peace be upon you. and upon you peace"

Also, both religions teach that to "save a single life is like saving the whole world, and to take a single life is like killing the whole world".
Thank you for providing the Islamic greeting. I forgot to, but I consider it to be very important here. These are foundational to all three faiths, the hope of the faithful is the Peace which passes understanding.

And especially that quote from Hillel the Elder! Beautiful! Precious!

Peace be upon you.

catnip
Guru

Post #7

Post by catnip »

agnosticatheist wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

The bible says God told them to kill the canaanites. Either God actually told them that, or the bible is presenting false information. Either way, we have a problem.
Again and again: The Jews very honestly kept all their ancient scriptures but wrote volumes to explain them. We Christians do not have that guidance. Ours is the New Testament and that is what guides our faith. We kept the Old Testament as historical information on the development of faith in our God--but we believed that the coming of the light into the world (where all men dwelt in darkness) was with the coming of Jesus Christ. In short, what I am telling you here is that it was the promise of what was to come that is what Christians hang their hats on. (Unitl the Evangelicals came and declared all books of the Bible equal--though not all of us agree with them. lol)

historia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by historia »

Elijah John wrote:

I believe the comparison agnosticatheist is trying to draw in the OP is not between jihadists and modern Israelis, but rather between jihadists and ancient Israelites.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Christians are responsible for their own share of mass killing and wholesale slaughter. And Hindus and Buddhists have also been guilty of mass killing and wholesale slaughter over the years as well. Every religion portrays itself as not only peaceful and benign, but essential to becoming and being a good person. And every religion has it's own dark history of horrifying and disgustingly violent actions taken by it's adherents in the name of that religion. Ancient superstitions engender violent passions. In the modern world with weapons of mass destruction, there is nothing peaceful and benign about mass killing and wholesale slaughter in the name of ancient superstition. Ignorance is the enemy.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Post #10

catnip wrote:
agnosticatheist wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Again and again: The Jews very honestly kept all their ancient scriptures but wrote volumes to explain them. We Christians do not have that guidance. Ours is the New Testament and that is what guides our faith. We kept the Old Testament as historical information on the development of faith in our God--but we believed that the coming of the light into the world (where all men dwelt in darkness) was with the coming of Jesus Christ. In short, what I am telling you here is that it was the promise of what was to come that is what Christians hang their hats on. (Unitl the Evangelicals came and declared all books of the Bible equal--though not all of us agree with them. lol)
The spiritual entity who commanded the isrealites to kill the canaanites is the same spiritual entity you worship.