Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

monogamy is not immune from STDs

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/health/zi ... act-texas/

Zika virus primarily contracted through mosquitos can now also be translated sexually. I have heard on these forums that stds are a punishment to sexual immorality and the monogamous and abstinent are immune. Ignoring the obvious failures of this argument Zika virus completely blows this out of the water. Now your partner can get bit and transmit the virus sexually to you.

Does monogamy really protect people from stds ?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

Not at all. You could be the perfect Christian who does everything right and follows the rules, but if your partner cheats on you and gets an STD, they can then pass it on to you.

Monogamy or marriage is no guarantee you won't get an STD. Nor is it any guarantee that your partner won't cheat on you.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: monogamy is not immune from STDs

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

DanieltheDragon wrote:Does monogamy really protect people from stds ?
No, I should think however that sexual promiscuity would be a factor in the spread of and/or the liklihood of contracting a sexually transmitable disease.

Monogamy would not be a protection against mosquitos.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Strider324 »

Long before Zika, AIDS was readily transmitted to monogamous couples through failed hospital IV procedures, and IV drug use as well as simple blood transfer due to injury. Therefore, that argument never had any legs to begin with.
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

I have never made the absolute cause effect argument. However, are you saying that one should not avoid questionable contact, ie stay indoors and not have sex for a week in this case, when one contracts a disease?

JLB32168

Re: monogamy is not immune from STDs

Post #6

Post by JLB32168 »

DanieltheDragon wrote:I have heard on these forums that stds are a punishment to sexual immorality and the monogamous and abstinent are immune.
I’ve never seen this argument presented by anyone on this board – not that it’s important. Do you deny that monogamists (where both parties are monogamists and not just one) are less likely to contract an STD than someone who is promiscuous?

I am a monogamist. I'm fairly sure my wife is as well. We don't have STDs. I think it's safe to say that the likelihood of us contracting one is slightly lower than that of a stereotypical Sigma Chi at UCLA.

Just sayin'

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Strider324 »

It's obvious that promiscuity is a higher risk activity for STD's than strict monogamy. It's also a more exciting lifestyle for some people. And I note with humor and a raised eyebrow that whereas Religion has naught to say about the hundreds of other risky lifestyles - sky diving, motorcycle driving, surfing, car racing, gambling, combat, police work, firefighting, or even day-trading.... they can't seem to wait to flail their arms in self-righteous fervor over risky sexual activity.

Why is that? :shock:
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Donray
Guru

Post #9

Post by Donray »

The bible actually allows for multiple wives and many concubines and whores as you want. God told soldiers to rape.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

[Replying to post 9 by Donray]

Not for Christians it doessn't. You'll have to speak to Jews about their interpretation of the rest but I hazard a guess that they would disagree that the Mosaic law allows for rape, but I'm not an orthodox Jew.

I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses.