Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Admitting defeat

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

Will anyone ever admit defeat on this forum? So far, every single forum ends with people just not replying anymore. These are usually the people who have run out of arguments. Not once have I seen an admission of defeat. Not one "I concede".

Refer to http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... c&start=10

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

Humans are lazy. We have the entire ocean of information accumulated on this forum over many years, but we neglect referring to it with cumulative references in order to supplant our arguments.

Instead, we resort to nebulous sayings like "the history of the forum demonstrates this," which can be used by both sides because both are unwilling to demonstrate this very claim. To an atheist, the sheer number of science threads that go unresolved with several objections raised will be an advantage for their side. Alternatively, a theist may note how "unconvincing" the other side's argument was, and so compartmentalize their entire experience of the forum into "atheists are unconvincing, this forum is proof of that."

This is not going to change, because members of this forum are not willing to do the one thing that would ultimately decide on the veracity of the stated claim.

If we had a cumulative, thorough record of the status of ALL arguments, we would have perfect evidence on the status of the debate. And yet, even if we had that, through forced interpretation, both sides would still take it to mean that their side is "winning." The only way this wouldn't be the case is if the scales tipped heavily in favor of one side, and the other is demonstrated as lacking in debating power.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Admitting defeat

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

I see no value in declaring victory or expecting concessions of defeat. It seems unrealistic to expect opponents to conceded (though it may happen on rare occasion).

Both or all parties in a debate may think they have "defeated" others. There is no system in place here to decide who wins and who loses any point or debate (as there might be in school debates).

Ultimately, readers decide individually who they consider has presented the most compelling or convincing position. Occasionally some may indicate "like" or make a MGP donation with comment.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Justin108 wrote: Will anyone ever admit defeat on this forum? So far, every single forum ends with people just not replying anymore. These are usually the people who have run out of arguments. Not once have I seen an admission of defeat. Not one "I concede".

Refer to http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... c&start=10
For me sometimes I might stop responding because the discussion is getting silly and I think to myself, "This is a waste of time." Maybe I should post WoT in those cases, but that might violate the one liner rule, or just result the poster asking why it is a waste of time.

By the way, when have you posted "I concede"? I can't remember what it was, but I admitted I was wrong at least once. I know this because I made a point of telling the one to whom I was posting to make sure and let everyone know.

jgh7

Post #5

Post by jgh7 »

Admitting defeat is like eating broccoli. I only do it when someone forces me too. But in the end it's for my own good.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

I would think that there may be those who realise they have been defeated so leave with their tails between their legs and head hung low. It takes a big man to remain and say "I was wrong". Pride will often prevent that.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Justin108 »

[Replying to post 3 by Zzyzx]

Yes but then we have posts like the one I referenced where the opponent resorted to petty passive-aggressive behavior to distract from the fact that he refuses or is otherwise unable to present a rebuttal.

I understand when a state of uncompromising positions is reached, but when it comes to situations where one cannot present a rebuttal to a point that was raised, this is a rather petty way of distracting from that fact.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I live in a house with three girls, admitting defeat is a natural product of forming an opinion.

Though I can't recall exactly when, I'm sure I've had to eat me a crow or two on this site.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

jgh7

Post #9

Post by jgh7 »

Do you really want the satisfaction of them saying I concede that badly?

Who cares whether they admit defeat or not. You know that your logic stood better than theirs if they have no further rebuttal.