Where did it go?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Where did it go?

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

With the exception of the occasional "wedding cake issue" or the like, it seems that the 'Christian vs. Gay" argument has died down a lot in the USA since gay marriage has become legal.
Have Christians given up on the complaining about how bad gay people are, are Christians re-grouping, have Christians that complained about gay people gone on holiday or have Christians all of a sudden, become "OK" with gay people?
Or, perhaps, the media has found other causes to accost us with these days?
Or are there other reasons (sinister or benign)?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Where did it go?

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

Youkilledkenny wrote: Or, perhaps, the media has found other causes to accost us with these days?
Bathroom police springs to mind.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Bust Nak wrote:
Youkilledkenny wrote: Or, perhaps, the media has found other causes to accost us with these days?
You beat me to it. They are too busy hating on the transgenders now.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Youkilledkenny wrote: With the exception of the occasional "wedding cake issue" or the like, it seems that the 'Christian vs. Gay" argument has died down a lot in the USA since gay marriage has become legal.
Much like it did here in New Zealand after a very short time. Basically it was just a storm in a teacup. People hate change.

As with New Zealand, I'm guessing people have discovered that gay marriage hasn't had any earth shattering consequences. Some gay people got married. That's all. Doesn't affect the rest of us. Life went on as usual for everyone else.

I was against it at first, but then I began to realize that it wasn't such a big deal. The institution of marriage hasn't been destroyed. It was already a big mess as it was.
Youkilledkenny wrote: Have Christians given up on the complaining about how bad gay people are, are Christians re-grouping, have Christians that complained about gay people gone on holiday or have Christians all of a sudden, become "OK" with gay people?
Or, perhaps, the media has found other causes to accost us with these days?
Or are there other reasons (sinister or benign)?
People love to complain. I'm sure there's something else they're complaining about now.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Same place most have been all along, minding their own business, hoping to be free to associate with whoever they wish. These issues generally come up as the punch line to "Two liberals walk into a . . . . and demand . . . "

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 4 by OnceConvinced]
I was against it at first, but then I began to realize that it wasn't such a big deal. The institution of marriage hasn't been destroyed. It was already a big mess as it was.
Well then, this is something us two kiwis can agree on.

What the world does is its business, and what Christians believe is their business.

Neither one should expect the other to jump to the crack of their whip, as it were.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Youkilledkenny]

Well as Jehovah's Witnesses we were never really part of that dialogue- we don't condemn people but stick to bible standards and educate any who care to listen as to what we believe to be bible standards.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #8

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

Divine Insight wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
Give this a read. You will come to understand our faith better. What good it does to you if you just say: "They hate homosexuality."

What do you even know? How about, instead you learn about sin. What is sin, what do they believe? And as you come to understand, you won't have so short-sighted answers.

That sounds smart. Are you willing to challenge yourself?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

rosary wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
Give this a read. You will come to understand our faith better. What good it does to you if you just say: "They hate homosexuality."

What do you even know? How about, instead you learn about sin. What is sin, what do they believe? And as you come to understand, you won't have so short-sighted answers.

That sounds smart. Are you willing to challenge yourself?
How does one go about "learning about sin?" Sin is not a force in the universe. Sin has no physical property's. Sin is simply an opinion. "Learning about sin" can never be anything more than an exercise in listening to another person's opinion on just what sin is. Most of us are perfectly capable of determining right and wrong for ourselves. Others however envision themselves as sheep, incapable of knowing right from wrong without guidance. Whom they choose for a guide inevitably involves just what belief system they were indoctrinated into as a child.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Most of us are perfectly capable of determining right and wrong for ourselves. Others however envision themselves as sheep, incapable of knowing right from wrong without guidance.
Presuming you are among those with that capability, does that capability exist with no guidance whatsoever? If not, how much guidance can one get before one turns into a sheep?