Radical Islam and American Politics

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher
Scholar

Radical Islam and American Politics

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

The issue of radical Islam has been in the news lately due to the chaos ensuing in the Middle East along with several incidents that occurred in the United States. The purpose of this thread will be to debate the following questions:

1) Presidential candidate Ben Carson recently said that he wouldn't want a Muslim to be president. Do you think his comments are appropriate and do you agree with them?

2) A young student in Texas named Ahmed was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to his school that was mistakenly thought to be a bomb. Liberals have suggested that Ahmed was unfairly profiled by racist teachers and cops and have used this incident to advance their narrative of widespread 'Islamophobia,' while conservatives have suggested that the teachers and cops acted appropriately. What is your opinion on this matter?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Re: Radical Islam and American Politics

Post #2

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 1 by WinePusher]

1.) sure his comments are appropriate. They are his personal beliefs, there are certain religious groups I wouldn't want to be president to not just Muslims. I think it is a matter of personal belief. For example there are many Muslims I would vote for president before Mike Huckabee, Ben Carson, Lindsey Graham, or Rick Santorum. I firmly agree that some people religious beliefs disqualify them from serving as president when it comes to my vote. So I have no problem with his comments. He wasn't even asking for it to be a law he was simply stating his personal preference. At least he gave an honest answer which doesn't get done enough these days.

2.) this is just to obvious, I can understand caution to a certain extent even in today's climate. That being said all you have to do is just look at the dang thing. There was no explosives. No evidence for intent to use explosives. All they needed to do was bring him in bring his teachers in ask them a few questions and return folks back to class. Actually arresting him is just asinine.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Re: Radical Islam and American Politics

Post #3

Post by Hamsaka »

WinePusher wrote: The issue of radical Islam has been in the news lately due to the chaos ensuing in the Middle East along with several incidents that occurred in the United States. The purpose of this thread will be to debate the following questions:

1) Presidential candidate Ben Carson recently said that he wouldn't want a Muslim to be president. Do you think his comments are appropriate and do you agree with them?
"Appropriate"? I dunno, we've got to get to know the candidates somehow. Surely there will be PC nazis who get bunched up about it. Whether I agree with Mr Carson or not doesn't make his statement appropriate or inappropriate that I can see . . . for myself, I don't want any highly religious POTUS, doesn't matter what their religion is. A Muslim POTUS would be particularly . . . unworkable in the current world situation.
2) A young student in Texas named Ahmed was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to his school that was mistakenly thought to be a bomb. Liberals have suggested that Ahmed was unfairly profiled by racist teachers and cops and have used this incident to advance their narrative of widespread 'Islamophobia,' while conservatives have suggested that the teachers and cops acted appropriately. What is your opinion on this matter?
The first news item I read about this was on a Fox website. I came away thinking "what a little shite! I'll bet he thinks twice about getting attention like this again!"

After searching for other stories about this kid, I got very confused for a few moments, then realized my FIRST impression was obtained from a right wing conservative POV. Between the liberal and conservative media, you'd think you were reading about an entirely different situation!

Texas isn't exactly a bastion of tolerance for diversity. I read yesterday the family is moving their boy to a different school. Imagine that :tongue: . And that he's been 'nationally' recognized by Obama and encouraged by other parties.

Considering how Texans (at least the loud ones) think Obama is a puppet of Islam sent to undermine America and Christianity itself, Obama's apology to the boy's family must've felt like humiliation (and more 'proof' that Obama is a Muslim).

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I fear the vast amounts of radical (read irrational) Christians here in America far more'n I do the comparative paucity of radical Islamists in our midst.

(clarifications edit)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

polonius
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by polonius »

[Replying to post 4 by JoeyKnothead]

RESPONSE: You may have a point. But as somewhat of a history buff, I've discovered that the three religions we know most about in the West: Christianity, Judaism, and now the Muslim religion, have quite a bit in common regarding their belief systems about what poses a danger or has posed a danger to them in the other two religions.

Put in a nutshell, each is intolerant of what they call the "infidel" members of the other two, and in some cases believed it was God's command that the members of the other two religions be wiped out. And not uncommonly, this was done.

Opinions?

koko

Post #6

Post by koko »

My full reply to this issue would be a VERY long one. This appropriately so because I live in the Twin Cities where the radical Muslims have recruited successfully more than any other part of the USA. There are several reasons for this success.

Every major media outlet has explored and discussed this subject fully and each has come up with the same conclusion. I will give you that conclusion but will approach it in a round about way. Of all the stations which have explored this subject the one that has done most comprehensively is KSTP (the local ABC affiliate). Please log on to that site for further information which I will try to summarize here.

A local Imam (the Muslim equivalent of a bishop) was approached with the question why have radical Muslims succeeded in recruiting young Muslim men into their fold?

This tall and very dignified looking gentleman spoke frankly and pointed the finger at himself and at the orthodox Muslims community. First, the government has sent in more East African Muslims into our area than any other part of the country. Second and most importantly, the orthodox Muslim community has historically treated single young men like second and third class citizens. It is this demographic that has been exploited by the radical Muslims.

So what is the solution, he was asked.

Very simple was his reply: from now on we shall embrace single young men like they are essential parts of our community. No longer will they be treated like second class citizens. They will know they are loved by me and by all others in the orthodox Muslim community.

Years ago, I started a thread on why Christian churches treat single men so dismissively. I got about 500 replies but only half a dozen addressed the issue. The rest jumped into other irrelevant subjects. This because orthodox Christian communities practiced this same prejudice for years even though most of you would deny it.

Contrary to what liberals, conservatives, Democrats, Republicans, and feminists would have you believe, it is single men who are the most vulnerable members of our society. No, that is not fashionable nor politically correct to say but it is the truth.

Take all the cults we see today: Scientology, white supremacists, KKK, suicide cults, Chicago street gangs - which demographic do they recruit from more than any other? This is no secret - they always recruit single men more than anyone else.

Now let's get back to that Imam.

Six months after that tv interview I mentioned above, he was asked, "how did you do it - how did you chase away the radical Muslims?" He said because he kept his word and treated single young men like members of his own family.

A mother was asked, "did the radicals try to recruit your teen son?" She said yes but made it clear that she would give up her life for him and they went away. The young man was asked about those evil recruiters. But he looked at his mom with absolute adoration and he said he would never leave her, his congregation, or his community because of the great affection they showed for him.

Do you as Christians want to rid society of radical Muslims? of street gangs? of hate filled white supremacists? of suicide cults? of deranged cults like Scientology?

There is one and only ONE solution to this: embrace single men just like you do with all other demographics in this society. Make very sure that your congregation is filled with these men just as it is filled with families and all other social groupings.

I know most of you would deny that there is any discrimination against single men in churches. But if you are honest you would have no choice but to admit that what I wrote is true.

Embracing single men as essential members of the family and of the congregation worked to end the presence of radical Muslims here in the Twin Cities. It can work to solve ALL social problems as well. If Jesus was present in your congregation that is precisely what he would do.