Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

The Bible

Post #1

Post by Peds nurse »

Hello friends!

I ordered a new Bible. It's the Chronological Life Application Bible. I'm super excited to get it. I was wondering what's your Bible of choice?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 10 by Overcomer]

Couldn't agree more.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: The Bible

Post #12

Post by Yahu »

Peds nurse wrote: Hello friends!

I ordered a new Bible. It's the Chronological Life Application Bible. I'm super excited to get it. I was wondering what's your Bible of choice?
I don't follow a specific translation. I tend to check many translation.

For general reading, I prefer the Amplified because it also includes alternate translations in [ ] when a passage may be disputed so you can determine what may be the correct translation. It is also wordy giving a greater variation of definitions of a word. This helps clarify the intent of the passage.

I do prefer translations that keep in the Hebrew names and don't replace YHVH with 'the LORD'. There is a LOT of information in the name meanings.

If you just stick with the KJV for example, you miss out on a lot of information. An example: in the story of Balaam and the donkey, one of the places he offers a sacrifice is on Mt Pisgah in the field of Zophim. Zophim means Watchers in Hebrew and it a term referring to fallen angels that crossed with women. If you know that, it directly ties the pagan deities with the offspring of fallen angels that were worshiped as gods.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

My favorites are the "Proclaim His Holy Name" Bible, which restores the name YEHOVAH to the King James version in every place where "LORD" was used instead.

Also, the "Names of God" Bible, which uses "Yahweh".

Both versions frequently use other Hebrew terms, such as :"Elohim" for "God" as well.

I also respect the New World Translation, not so much for it's accuracy, but in that (of course) it restores the Divine Name "Jehovah".

Regarding the question of accuracy, perhaps the NWT is more accurate after-all, as it is entirely possible that the Greek authors of the New Testament had their own agenda with nascent Trinitarianism.

And it is a known fact that the KJV took liberties with some verses to support their translator's Trinitarian agenda.

In spite of that, the KJV is a masterpiece of English prose.

I also like the Jerusalem and the New Jersusalem Bibles for they too have restored the Divine Name. I was sorry to see that Bible Gateway seems to have dropped those translations.

I like the American Standard Version, but that is so rare nowadays, and seems unavailble in bookstores. Even online it is almost only exclusively available in e-book form.

Other versions I like are the standard King James Version, it's derivatives, (RSV, NRSV) and also the Living Bible.

Good topic PN!
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Yahu »

Elijah John wrote: My favorites are the "Proclaim His Holy Name" Bible, which restores the name YEHOVAH to the King James version in every place where "LORD" was used instead.

Also, the "Names of God" Bible, which uses "Yahweh".

Both versions frequently use other Hebrew terms, such as :"Elohim" for "God" as well.

I also respect the New World Translation, not so much for it's accuracy, but in that (of course) it restores the Divine Name "Jehovah".

Regarding the question of accuracy, perhaps the NWT is more accurate after-all, as it is entirely possible that the Greek authors of the New Testament had their own agenda with nascent Trinitarianism.

And it is a known fact that the KJV took liberties with some verses to support their translator's Trinitarian agenda.

In spite of that, the KJV is a masterpiece of English prose.

I also like the Jerusalem and the New Jersusalem Bibles for they too have restored the Divine Name. I was sorry to see that Bible Gateway seems to have dropped those translations.

I like the American Standard Version, but that is so rare nowadays, and seems unavailble in bookstores. Even online it is almost only exclusively available in e-book form.

Other versions I like are the standard King James Version, it's derivatives, (RSV, NRSV) and also the Living Bible.

Good topic PN!
The Darby Bible also uses the divine name. It was the 1st in English to do so.

Generally I just use the online bible with several translations downloaded. It is freeware. (Some translations have a small charge.) You just have to hit a tab to go to a different translation. I tend to use the AV version mostly because it comes with embedded Strong's numbers that can be toggled on/off. You can click on the Number to pull up the Strong's reference to see the actual Hebrew/Greek root word in the passage.

It also has other add on texts like Jasher, Enoch and such as well as commentaries.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The Bible

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 9 by Overcomer]

Then I would recommend you use another translation of you choice.

Peace,

J
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8