Why would God need a hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

mickiel
Guru

Why would God need a hell?

Post #1

Post by mickiel »

As I consider God, its hard for me to consider him needing a place like hell? The Christian concept of eternal hell punishing is a barbaric thing to consider. Why would God need to punish a human for all of eternity. Lets just say a human does not believe in God, and they live that way for 80 years; they die and according to many interpretations of hell , they will be brought back to life; judged, then banished to an eternity of living suffering in this hell.

I mean that punishment does not even fit the crime; 80 years of living, now they must live forever in suffering? Why?

Why would a God even need to do that?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #171

Post by ttruscott »

Raimer wrote: Hell is real. But exactly what Hell is, noone knows. Well God knows.
O:)
Jesus called it the outer darkness and all other names are analogies, no?

IF it is not a created place because HE had no need for evil or evil people to fulfill HIS goals so had no need to create a hell and

IF our created reality is NOT infinite,

THEN hell might be past the edge of our created reality, either physically or dimensionally and therefore worthy to be called the outer darkness.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Why would God need a hell?

Post #172

Post by ttruscott »

JLB32168 wrote: What limits are being placed here – other than God cannot be diminished?
Often the accusation of a limited GOD is to get a declaration that HE is unlimited and then HE is attacked as a logical impossibility...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

mickiel
Guru

Post #173

Post by mickiel »

JLB32168 wrote:
mickiel wrote:God can do all things, there is no such thing as " Nothing he can do about it."
God cannot will Himself into non-existence. Are you saying that He can do something about that, namely, He can will Himself out of existence? God cannot create another deity since deities in the Christian sense are Uncreated. God cannot create a man that is a woman or a cat that is a dog. God cannot sin. God cannot die. God cannot stop being the source of all knowledge.
Do you disagree?

?

Yes I disagree, all those things you listed are things God " Will not do", not that he cannot do, God can do all things. Its just that Christians like to hear themselves say what God cannot do, because they get a thrill from saying it; it thrills them to limit an all powerful God.

Monta
Guru

Post #174

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 170 by mickiel]

God can not go against His own Order, His own Laws,
which are the foundation of creation.

JLB32168

Post #175

Post by JLB32168 »

mickiel wrote:Yes I disagree, all those things you listed are things God " Will not do", not that he cannot do, God can do all things.
How is God able to create that which is Uncreated? That simply makes no sense.
How is God able to uncreate Himself since God says He doesn’t change?

mickiel
Guru

Post #176

Post by mickiel »

JLB32168 wrote:
mickiel wrote:Yes I disagree, all those things you listed are things God " Will not do", not that he cannot do, God can do all things.
How is God able to create that which is Uncreated? That simply makes no sense.
How is God able to uncreate Himself since God says He doesn’t change?

Nothing to raise a fuss over, we just think differently of God, you think " God can't", I think he" Won't"; you think if God does not do something, its because he can't, I think its because he Won't. If he does not do it, its because he does not want to, not that he can't, he can if he wants. And I have learned the wisdom of viewing God like this, not getting off on limiting him, because he cannot be limited by the puny viewpoint of a human being.

Erexsaur
Apprentice

Post #177

Post by Erexsaur »

[Replying to mickiel]

Hello Mickiel

Does God in His goodness need rebellion?

The rebellion of Lucifer and angels that followed him brought about the need for hell. Because man also chose rebellion, hell enlarged itself even though it was never meant for man. Do societies need corporal punishment?

Why is hell everlasting? It is because God is everlasting and His created beings are everlasting. Rebellion against God leaves an everlasting stain. Lucifer rebelled against God in His face in all of God's glory. But man has never seen God in all of His glory. That occurs only after death.

But God offered man a way to cover the indelible stain because of the death of Christ on the cross. That gives you and me a way of escape from the everlasting death sentence if we choose. That must of course occur before death.

Shouldn't we thank God mightily for His giving us the way out?

Take care,
Earl

Monta
Guru

Post #178

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 174 by Erexsaur]

For hell not to be everlasting, every 'man' born on this earth has to change his nature and become fully spiritual, born again.
Watching the world today I can not imagine it happening. Our earth history is over 6000 years and we may not be killing ea other the way we used to, but still we managed to kill millions of Arabs since 9/11.

mickiel
Guru

Post #179

Post by mickiel »

Erexsaur wrote: [Replying to mickiel]

Hello Mickiel

Does God in His goodness need rebellion?

The rebellion of Lucifer and angels that followed him brought about the need for hell. Because man also chose rebellion, hell enlarged itself even though it was never meant for man. Do societies need corporal punishment?

Why is hell everlasting? It is because God is everlasting and His created beings are everlasting. Rebellion against God leaves an everlasting stain. Lucifer rebelled against God in His face in all of God's glory. But man has never seen God in all of His glory. That occurs only after death.

But God offered man a way to cover the indelible stain because of the death of Christ on the cross. That gives you and me a way of escape from the everlasting death sentence if we choose. That must of course occur before death.

Shouldn't we thank God mightily for His giving us the way out?

Take care,
Earl

Greetings Earl,

In my view, your whole belief system is flawed; There is no such being as Lucifer, the Devil is not Lucifer. The devil never rebelled with his angels from heaven, and he never was good from his beginning, he was created evil, and was a liar from his conception. This whole Christian myth of satan rebelling from heaven is a distorted lie. But Christianity is full of such distortions, and I know you do not see this; and I am sorry for that, its not your fault.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #180

Post by ttruscott »

mickiel wrote:

Nothing to raise a fuss over, we just think differently of God, you think " God can't", I think he" Won't"; you think if God does not do something, its because he can't, I think its because he Won't. If he does not do it, its because he does not want to, not that he can't, he can if he wants. And I have learned the wisdom of viewing God like this, not getting off on limiting him, because he cannot be limited by the puny viewpoint of a human being.
A strong enough perfectly committed won't is a can't... for those things HE technically can but won't do but you then use this idea flow to claim HE CAN do the logically impossible which is fruitless.