Apprentice

Comebacks I wish I'd said

Post #1

Post by Tim the Skeptic »

I believe it was Cephus who suggested the following:

Xtian: I will pray for you.

Xthiest: Thanks, I will think for you.

I was in an adult eduction class at church once when the pastor said:

Pastor: Theologians say that the opposite of rationalism is faith.

WISHS: That's funny, rationalists say the the opposite of rationalism is superstition.

Not soon after, I stopped going to church and have wisely used my Sunday mornings for sleeping, reading the paper and drinking coffee. And WISHS is my acronym for: What I Should Have Said.

Please add any other one-liner arguements. One can never have enough.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow

Lainey
Scholar

Post #21

Post by Lainey »

Cathar wrote:
Ok Lainey that will be enough.
Don't be using reason and facts on us.
Awww!... :oops: ;)

Bugmaster wrote:
Lainey wrote:
What do you think the "go forth and multiply" bit meant, then? :blink
My guess would be, budding. It's pious and wholesome !
Oh... :joker:
Although, IIRC, God did not issue that command until after he exiled the humans from Paradise...

I'm not sure when it was. I'd check, but I dislike Genesis. Too many "begats" for me...

Lainey
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Lainey »

Okay, I've been thinking about this thread. This isn't a comeback, really, but it's surprisingly effective. Here it is:

Be nice. Be unfailingly, genuinely, and openly nice. If they offer to pray for you, thank them sincerely. If they rant about homosexuals, exude kindness for everyone and everything. Be they way that they're supposed to be.

This has a few advantages:
1.) It's nice to be nice. There are few good reasons to be mean to people.
2.) Throws them for a loop. Makes them think.
3.) Guilt, baby! Hold up a figurative mirror for them to see their actions in.
4.) It works! It works better than anything I've ever seen before.

Once, I was mean to some lady at a magic show because she'd been trying to push in front of me and my boyfriend in line. In response, she was nice to me. I spent the rest of the night feeling horribly guilty and wondering whether to go apologize to her (I didn't--I wish I had, but I chickened out). But I learned from her, and I started to try the same thing (when I remember). It's amazing.

Vianne
Student

Post #23

Post by Vianne »

Lainey wrote:Be nice. Be unfailingly, genuinely, and openly nice. If they offer to pray for you, thank them sincerely.
You may be on to something there, Lainey! But don't just be nice -- approach them with the same "outreach" mentality. When they offer to pray for you, act touched, and offer to light a candle for them, or meditate, or whatever particular spiritual positive energy exercise you practice. Not only is it great fun (you turn the tables on them ;) ), you also get to "pass on the love", and that's always a good thing.

Lainey
Scholar

Post #24

Post by Lainey »

Vianne wrote:But don't just be nice -- approach them with the same "outreach" mentality. When they offer to pray for you, act touched, and offer to light a candle for them, or meditate, or whatever particular spiritual positive energy exercise you practice. Not only is it great fun (you turn the tables on them ), you also get to "pass on the love", and that's always a good thing.
Hee hee! I like it! Some of them would run for the hills if you mentioned the word "meditate" to them, though!